Counterpart Starz Series (SPOILERS)

Astromech

I'm surprised there isn't a dedicated thread yet. Three episodes in and this is my favorite current series. JK Simmons and the rest of the cast have been excellent. Interesting premise. The episodic focus on different characters and their counterpart has me eagerly anticipating each new episode. I just learned from the Inside the Episode following third episode that the showrunners have been leaving clues in the background concerning the origin of the split. I'll have to pause episodes to play along and speculate.

I'm only up to  episode 3,  but I am loving it so far.

The best thing about it is that the story and background is not spoon fed to the audience.  It's a puzzle, like Westworld.  

I'll be doing an Easter egg hunt this weekend and will post some here, if anyone is interested.

There has to be a reason why dopleganger Howard didn't come clean to prime Howard that he wasn't being honest about dopleganger Emily being dead... There was a good chance that he was going to find out anyway (he did)... and if the idea was to have prime Howard stay under the radar, then that seemed like a silly thing to keep from him... the takeaway is that dopleganger Howard is setting up prime Howard... for what, we don't yet know...

But there are so many small things going on that will undoubtedly reveal a bigger picture... this is a wonderful show. 

I think this is one of those "you can't escape your true self" stories.

Spoiler

Emily prime and doppelganger Emily were both spies

Doppelganger Howard found out about doppelganger Emily's spy activities and it broke up their marriage.

Emily prime was also a spy, but Howard prime never found out about it and they had a perfect marriage... while she was living a secret life working with the much more badass version of her Howard

Doppelganger Emily is sleeping with the dude she works with as a spy...what must she be thinking of Emily prime and Doppelganger Howard's relationship?

So Howard prime will now become more like his doppelganger, out of necessity.  Doppelganger Emily will become more like her prime self, out of reflection.  The two will find true love and save the world (which world?)

I wanted to wait till the season was over or near over so I could binge watch it, but monday I said f*ck it. It really is a great show! I always loved JK Simmons but I was afraid him playing two characters would end up a bit like Ewan McGregor in Fargo season 3, but I was proven wrong. It really feels like he his playing 2 different characters, so kudos to you Mr Simmons!

I finished episode 4 yesterday. The scene with Alpha Howard in Anna's room was so heartbreaking for me. Looking at her room, and seeing what his stillborn daughter could've grown up to be, what she could've achieved, etc. It's easy to see how both Howard came to be so different after all. Also, the poker scene with both Howards... the scene could've lasted 10 minutes longer, that's how much I liked it.

@ Jez Bell, the ''Prime'' people are the one from the medically advanced world, and ''Alpha'' are the ones the the smartphones (?!), I guess. Yes, they both mean the same thing, as I guess both world believes they are the real world or whatever.

51 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

@ Jez Bell, the ''Prime'' people are the one from the medically advanced world, and ''Alpha'' are the ones the the smartphones (?!), I guess. Yes, they both mean the same thing, as I guess both world believes they are the real world or whatever.

I went with the doppelganger lingo to keep with the other posts, but yes "Prime" and "Alpha" signify that we don't know which is first/better/real.

I'm happy that lots of people are starting to discover it.  I do think it's one of those shows that will get it's real following in the off season when people can binge it.

2 hours ago, The Unborn said:

I wanted to wait till the season was over or near over so I could binge watch it, but monday I said f*ck it. It really is a great show! I always loved JK Simmons but I was afraid him playing two characters would end up a bit like Ewan McGregor in Fargo season 3, but I was proven wrong. It really feels like he his playing 2 different characters, so kudos to you Mr Simmons!

I finished episode 4 yesterday. The scene with Alpha Howard in Anna's room was so heartbreaking for me. Looking at her room, and seeing what his stillborn daughter could've grown up to be, what she could've achieved, etc. It's easy to see how both Howard came to be so different after all. Also, the poker scene with both Howards... the scene could've lasted 10 minutes longer, that's how much I liked it.

The show's creator, Justin Marks, had an interest explanation for those scenes and really the episode as a whole in the Inside the Episode. Really an explanation that in hindsight makes obvious sense. I'll spoiler tag just in case, but I'm sure viewers have interpreted those scenes in the same way.

Spoiler

Basically, the episode was showing the two Howards getting very comfortable with the other's life; Howard Silk with the Prime's daughter and wife, etc. And the poker scene revealed each Howard's personality, Silk being cautious and completely honest, whereas Prime is aggressive, risk-taking and deceitful. Justin Marks said the two Howards would have to adopt some of the personality traits of the other in order succeed. Like I said, nothing too spoilery and quite obvious in hindsight.

12 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

i didn't know there was an Inside the Episode for the show. I'm gonna check that out.

They're only about 2 or 3 minutes each, but shed some light on each episode.

I'm loving the show too! I really love that it is meditative and not too action heavy. There's a lot they can do with this premise.

One thing to consider is that in the Closed captions, everyone from macho Howard's world are labeled "Prime". Emily in that world is always labeled "Emily Prime". I wonder what that means.

On 2/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, Astromech said:

They're only about 2 or 3 minutes each, but shed some light on each episode.

I think almost every show would benefit from these little vignettes...  especially shows that develop slowly like this, or Westworld, where minor things become important later ... they're really informative... but even with a show with a barely existent plot like Strike Back, these post show shorts are fun, and usually very helpful, in case we missed something...

48 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

I think almost every show would benefit from these little vignettes...  especially shows that develop slowly like this, or Westworld, where minor things become important later ... they're really informative... but even with a show with a barely existent plot like Strike Back, these post show shorts are fun, and usually very helpful, in case we missed something...

Yeah, I've been trying to pay attention to backgrounds in the crossing since Marks said there were hints. Interesting to see the stairs on both sides descend to the crossing. I noticed the little drawing at the feet of Emily when she crossed, a circle with two lines touching it at the top. Some drawings as well, but I'm not sure if those were supposed to be security drawings or if they were significant to the story or origins.

Something I noticed last evening, was that JK Simmons is so f'ing good, that when a scene changes, you can immediately tell which Howard you're looking at... unlike Tatiana Maslany (Who is nothing short of brilliant herself)... JK isn;t playing different people with the same face... he is playing two versions of the same person... there is no difference in hair or clothes... its all posture, mannerisms, and temperament...

In my opinion, Maslany's best work was when she was one character pretending to be another (Sarah pretending to be Allison)... What Simmons is doing is different... both brilliant... but worth noting...

This is the best show on television now. This last episode was near perfect. That ending :) As excellent as that ending was, the rest of the scenes were damn good as well: Howard Prime's conversation with Heinrich's wife, Baldwin's scenes with Clare and Greta, the Voight-Kampff test scene with Howard Silk and Ian Shaw.

Yup it was a really good episode. I know it had been theorized a lot that 

Spoiler

Clare was Quayle's wife

, but I liked the reveal, it was nicely done. 

Spoiler

Isn't it fucked up to add a baby to that situation ? My god. I wonder if she really did kill her counterpart, and when did she switch ? What was her life like on the otherside ? (maybe her dad is not working for the agency, maybe she's not married to Quayle...) And Quayle... You really have to be oblivious/incompetent to NOT realize your wife was switched, unless he always only known her and never met the other? I know the dad said she was different theses last couple weeks/months, but it doesn't mean that's when the change occured. Now poor Quayle could potentially be killed by Aldrich and his men.  

Can't wait for next sunday !

Archived