Does Anyone Tip Their Parcel Delivery Guys?

Spockydog

I always tip when having food delivered, and I give my postman a drink at Christmas. The dude who brought my new mattress (and took away the old one) got a nice tip, as did the blokes who delivered a bunch of fence panels last summer. But I've never tipped the Parcel Delivery Guy.

So here I am, sat at home, excitedly awaiting my latest bit of high-tech gadgetry to be delivered, I got to wondering if I should tip the chap who delivers it to me. It's coming via DPD, who've been in the news recently for some pretty heinous mistreatment of their workers.

I often have stuff delivered by DPD. It's always the same guy, Huseyn, who is always friendly and polite, and, crucially, always shows up when he's supposed to.

I just got off the phone with my sister, and I mentioned that I'm inclined to tip the guy. She said that's mad, 'cos I've already paid a delivery charge of £8.95.

Yet... My sister would literally rip me to shreds if I failed to tip a waiter/waitress in her presence. Society expects us to tip this particular group of people because ... they bring us food and drink? It's a hard job? Their employers pay them pittance? Well, these days, that seems to apply to half the workforce.

Anyway, Imma tip Huseyn. Let's hope he doesn't take offence! 

It's a lousy job. I don't think other parcel services are much better employers than DLD. Nobody is forced to do that particular job, though. The guys at Amazon's (or anybody else's) warehouses aren't any better off, though, and no chance to get tipped. 

4 minutes ago, Loge said:

It's a lousy job. I don't think other parcel services are much better employers than DLD. Nobody is forced to do that particular job, though. The guys at Amazon's (or anybody else's) warehouses aren't any better off, though, and no chance to get tipped. 

UPS drivers are unionized and get paid fairly well as I understand it.

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

UPS drivers are unionized and get paid fairly well as I understand it.

See, the DPD drivers aren't. Some of them are dying because they cannot afford to take a day off for medical treatment. This is what sucks about Capitalism. Everyone (who matters) is just so fucking greedy. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

See, the DPD drivers aren't. Some of them are dying because they cannot afford to take a day off for medical treatment. This is what sucks about Capitalism. Everyone (who matters) is just so fucking greedy. 

Okay, sure, but you could say that about pretty much any shitty job that doesn't make its income predominantly on tips (e.g. waiting or bartending). Unfortunately, I don't make nearly enough money to tip every single low-wage employee that I interact with in the course of my day. I will tip someone whose wage is dependent on tips, but otherwise, I don't feel any obligation to do so. I have had shitty paying jobs myself and I never expected anyone to tip me. 

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm in a, relatively, high paying job and if I take a day off for medical treatment or personal time, it's a problem.  

Yeah, but i'll bet you don't get 'fined' by your employer if you fail to ensure your shift is covered by a colleague in your absence. 

44 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm in a, relatively, high paying job and if I take a day off for medical treatment or personal time, it's a problem.  

So it's probably fair to say that you're in a position whereby choosing  between urgent medical treatment for a life-threatening condition, against not taking the day off work, isn't really a choice at all. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Come on, this is totally different and you know it. Your caseload probably makes taking a day off difficult, but it's something that is within your control and you aren't going to get fired for doing it. At least, not if you're an equity partner at a law firm, although I apologize for the presumption if it is incorrect.  

Furniture or appliance delivery - for sure. 

Daily packages and the like -- not typically other than around holidays (if I catch them amidst delivery).

26 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Come on, this is totally different and you know it. Your caseload probably makes taking a day off difficult, but it's something that is within your control and you aren't going to get fired for doing it. At least, not if you're an equity partner at a law firm, although I apologize for the presumption if it is incorrect.  

True.  

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

So here I am, sat at home, excitedly awaiting my latest bit of high-tech gadgetry to be delivered, I got to wondering if I should tip the chap who delivers it to me. It's coming via DPD, who've been in the news recently for some pretty heinous mistreatment of their workers.

Man, just the whole thing of calling them self-employed franchisees so you don't have to provide sick or holiday pay but then otherwise treating them as employees which they clearly do is pretty disgusting and should be illegal.

I have not tipped delivery guys, but I'm rarely home when packages arrive.  And if I am home they seem to just knock, leave the package, and run away so I don't think it's expected.

I did recently discover that you are apparently supposed to tip dog groomers.  Took the dog and dropped him off while at work.  Picked him up at the end of the day and when I got home the girlfriend asked if I left a tip.  I was like... what?  No, I paid them 50 bucks to wash and trim the dog and I did not realize that was not the end of our transaction.  oops.  Dog will probably come back with a heinous cut next time.  

Archived