Does Anyone Tip Their Parcel Delivery Guys?

Spockydog

USPS Contractor here with a rural route.

Tips as such?  Doesn't happen.

Plates of goodies left for me in mailboxes during the holidaze?  Yes, though not often - 3-4 times is about it.

Two or three times a year, somebody will hand me a ten-spot for lunch. 

Now, Pizza Delivery on the other hand...I literally built my house on the tips from running pizzas around in rectangles.

It looks like the parcel delivery business isn't as cutthroat in the US as it is in the EU. UPS and FedEx are kind of premium services here, doing mostly business to business delivery. Stuff I order on Amazon is usually delivered by DHL, who have a reputation of treating their employees / contractors rather badly.

20 hours ago, Loge said:

It's a lousy job. I don't think other parcel services are much better employers than DLD. Nobody is forced to do that particular job, though. The guys at Amazon's (or anybody else's) warehouses aren't any better off, though, and no chance to get tipped. 

Bolded is a rather simplistic take on the issue. When it’s a choice between feeding yourself and keeping a roof over your head or rejecting a job with a shitty wage and shitty working conditions there isn’t a huge degree of choice in the matter

I'd like someone to tell me why it is almost mandatory to tip people bringing you food and drink, over other service professionals whose pay and conditions are arguably much worse.

I mean, waiters and waitresses chose to work in that job, so why should I pay them extra for doing their job?

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I'd like someone to tell me why it is almost mandatory to tip people bringing you food and drink, over other service professionals whose pay and conditions are arguably much worse.

Because waiters and waitresses don’t even get paid minimum wage.  Tips are how they make a living.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Because waiters and waitresses don’t even get paid minimum wage.  Tips are how they make a living.

In this country that isn't the case. Unless their employer is breaking the law, they will be paid the minimum wage. Yet we are expected to tip them.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And this is another reason why Capitalism sucks. If you can't afford to pay minimum wage, you shouldn't be in business.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

In this country that isn't the case. Unless their employer is breaking the law, they will be paid the minimum wage. Yet we are expected to tip them.

Are we? Since when? I tip barstaff occasionally when it is busy to get served quicker and that is about it. Waiters and waitresses don't get tipped.

Just now, lessthanluke said:

Are we? Since when? I tip barstaff occasionally when it is busy to get served quicker and that is about it. Waiters and waitresses don't get tipped.

I don't know anyone who doesn't tip waiting staff.

Archived