US Politics: Borrow And Spend Conservatism Marches On

Mr. Chatywin et al.

The Unmaking of the President 2016: How FBI Director James Comey Cost Hillary Clinton the Presidency by Lanny J, Davis.

This interview on WNYC is quite in depth, and pretty interesting:

https://www.wnyc.org/story/midday-on-wnyc-2018-02-08

On tv:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/20180208050356-lanny-davis-new-book-blames-former-fbi-director-james-comey-for-hillary-clinton-loss/

Book reviews:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/372448-longtime-clinton-confidant-blames-comey-for-2016-loss

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/lanny-j-davis/the-unmaking-of-the-president-2016/

Ya, Davis took this personally, very personally, as such a long time friend and colleague of the Clintons.  For me, what was most interesting is what he says / reveals about Ghouls Giuliani and his role -- which still didn't get him the job for which he thought he was a shoe-in.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Davis took this personally, very personally, as such a long time friend and colleague of the Clintons.

Gah, all the mention of Lanny Davis does for me is remind how ubiquitously insufferable he was on cable news in the 2008 primaries (not to mention exceedingly patronizing towards Obama in a borderline racist way).  No thank you.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2018/2/8/16982036/nationalism-patriotism-left-right-trump-democrats-solidarity

This is one of the worst articles Vox has ever published. Holy hell is the writer and ignorant dickhead. 

Noam Gidron  just starts throwing out terms all in approximately the same way. He uses the words nationalism, patriotism, populism, national solidarity and nativism like they are equivalent terms. 

Looks like the deficit will hit $1 trillion again next year with nothing provoking it except Republicans cutting $400 billion in tax revenue and wanting $300 billion more for 'defense'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/republicans-are-completely-reversing-themselves-on-the-deficit/2018/02/07/1a693872-0c2c-11e8-8890-372e2047c935_story.html?utm_term=.ed7ccdcfeb10

Another reason the White House and Congress have ignored past pledges on the deficit is that the mood of the country seems to have changed, according to Pew Research polling. In 2018, 48 percent of Americans said the budget deficit should be a top priority for the president and Congress, down from 63 percent in 2014. A year before that, 72 percent said the budget deficit was a priority, as high as it had been in the past two decades.

Gee, I wonder why that could be?  Anyone taking bets on how fast the 'mood' will change once a Democrat becomes President and this again becomes the #1 Fox News story night after night?

“Most of us are not in favor of the part that’s nondefense discretionary, but it’s what you call a compromise,” said Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho). “We all know the need in the defense side. If that’s the only way we can get it, it’s the only way we can get it.”

He added: “Most of us on our side would cut a hell of a lot out of spending.”

No, we don't all know we need it on the defense side.  Defense already gets $800 billion a year, what is needed that could possibly 'need' more?

Budget experts say restraining spending will only get harder for lawmakers as an aging population will put more pressure on programs such as Medicare and Social Security and rising debt levels and interest rates will push costs even higher.

The CBO last year projected the deficit would hit $1 trillion in 2022, but that was before the tax law and spending bills promised to add more debt. Now budget experts believe the government will widen the deficit beyond $1 trillion in 2019.

What a clown show.  Hope everyone has their hat on tight, the next decade could be a VERY bumpy ride.

8 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Looks like the deficit will hit $1 trillion again next year with nothing provoking it except Republicans cutting $400 billion in tax revenue and wanting $300 billion more for 'defense'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/republicans-are-completely-reversing-themselves-on-the-deficit/2018/02/07/1a693872-0c2c-11e8-8890-372e2047c935_story.html?utm_term=.ed7ccdcfeb10

Gee, I wonder why that could be?  Anyone taking bets on how fast the 'mood' will change once a Democrat becomes President and this again becomes the #1 Fox News story night after night?

No, we don't all know we need it on the defense side.  Defense already gets $800 billion a year, what is needed that could possibly 'need' more?

What a clown show.  Hope everyone has their hat on tight, the next decade could be a VERY bumpy ride.

Oh come on now, with these awesome of the awesomest tax cuts, we will soon have 142584356785466% growth and the tax cuts will pay for themselves and then some!  See, just think about how soon I'll get my pony! ..........    :bawl:

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Military marches and not applauding = treason? Sure.

And if that's treason, I wonder what years worth of undermining a sitting President, claiming he isn't really a US citizen, and repeatedly calling for his death is.

By Trump's logic, Trump and just about every prominent member of the GOP, and various Evangelical leaders should have been lined up against a wall a long time ago.

Isn't it funny how much we hear Republicans rail about leftist tyranny, but there's no penalty for right wingers doing this or shouting "You lie!" during an Obama SOTU, while simply not applauding during Trump's SOTU is treason and laughing at Jeff Sessions is a crime to be prosecuted.

Makes you wonder...

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Gah, all the mention of Lanny Davis does for me is remind how ubiquitously insufferable he was on cable news in the 2008 primaries (not to mention exceedingly patronizing towards Obama in a borderline racist way).  No thank you.

So, u r sayin' u find the author to be an a-hole which = he's wrong?

As mentioned, he takes what happened to Hillary very personally, but he makes a very clearly researched case that, nevertheless how not charming he seems, also seems correct. -- meaning documented, cited facts, not fake noose.

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So, u r sayin' u find the author to be an a-hole which = he's wrong?

As mentioned, he takes what happened to Hillary very personally, but he makes a very clearly researched case that, nevertheless how not charming he seems, also seems correct. -- meaning documented, cited facts, not fake noose.

Not saying he's wrong.  Wouldn't know - I'm saying Davis is an a-hole = I'm not interested in his take on Comey or the election.

I have to give CNN some credit, they actually showed a moment of journalistic worth today. I wondered if they and other major lowest common denominator news outlets might find some way to uncomfortably talk around and downplay the truth about Arthur Jones, the Nazi running for Congress in Illinois, but Alisyn Camerota bluntly and vocally confronted him and picked him apart in the space of a few minutes. If you can spare a few minutes watch the video of the interview.

Camerota interviewed Jones Thursday live on CNN’s “New Day,” asking him outright if he is a Nazi and continuing to spar with him in a heated exchange about the Holocaust.

“Mr. Jones, it is shocking to hear how vocally and unapologetically racist you are,” she said after playing a clip of Jones speaking at a neo-Nazi gathering, “Are you a Nazi?”

“I don’t call myself a Nazi,” Jones said, claiming that he has not been formally involved with Nazi organizations “since about 1990. “I call myself an American patriot and statesman,” he said.

Camerota listed several pieces of evidence showing Jones’s Nazi ties and involvement.

“You dress in Nazi garb and you celebrate Hitler’s birthday,” she said. “You’re a Nazi.”

“Your website is filled with the most vile, rancid rhetoric I think I’ve ever read,” she continued. Jones’s campaign website includes a section titled “Holocaust?” in which he accuses survivors of the genocide of peddling “propaganda.”

“It’s not vile and rancid, it’s the truth,” Jones said. “There’s nothing on that website that’s not true. ... You 'Jews' media, you’ve gone absolutely nuts, you think that Adolf Hitler’s revived from the grave or something. It’s one man, one man, myself, that’s standing for the truth.” Speaking over Jones, Camerota read facts about the Holocaust, which Jones forcefully dismissed as “poppycock” and a “scam,” and again referred to the Holocaust as an “extortion racket.”

“The cursed two-party, ‘Jew party, queer party’ system can’t stand it,” he said.

"If you did an honest investigation of the Holocaust you’d realize that it is nothing but an international extortion racket by the Jews to bleed, blackmail, extort and terrorize their enemies and to suck us into one war after another in the Mid East.”

10 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I have to give CNN some credit, they actually showed a moment of journalistic worth today. I wondered if they and other major lowest common denominator news outlets might find some way to uncomfortably talk around and downplay the truth about Arthur Jones, the Nazi running for Congress in Illinois, but Alisyn Camerota bluntly and vocally confronted him and picked him apart in the space of a few minutes. If you can spare a few minutes watch the video of the interview.

I was just coming here to post about this. 

This is the only way that bigots should be handle if they are going to be interviewed. 

This is the total opposite of how they handled Richard Spencer, who's views are extremely similar to this old nazi fucks.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Continue…

You really p'd me off, opening this thread before the other hit 400 posts. :P

My title was going to be Another day, another drop in the Dow!

Down 875 just before the close!

eta: Down 1,032.89! An orderly fall, and then a swoosh at the end.

eta2: And as I suggested in the last thread, fell through the 100 day moving average.

32 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

eta2: And as I suggested in the last thread, fell through the 100 day moving average.

I have to be honest, I have no idea what the "points" refer to in stock markets. I've had people start explaining it to me when I've said that, and I don't listen. Because I really don't care. And when they say I should care, I yell, "OH EM GEE! It's Elvis!" And they look. So maybe there is still a sizable proportion of the population who thinks that the King isn't dead.

49 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

S&P down by 100 too, which is the biggest gain or drop I can remember in quite awhile.

Edit: took a second to look it up, and apparently a couple of days ago it did a similar big drop, but before that the last time there was a similar drop was in 2008. Today isn't close to the 2008 falls in terms of % of total points, however, which featured several drops of 9% or close to it, while today was about 3.75%

32 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

S&P down by 100 too, which is the biggest gain or drop I can remember in quite awhile.

Edit: took a second to look it up, and apparently a couple of days ago it did a similar big drop, but before that the last time there was a similar drop was in 2008. Today isn't close to the 2008 falls in terms of % of total points, however, which featured several drops of 9% or close to it, while today was about 3.75%

2008 was a bear market, which technically is a drop of 20% or more. From start to finish that bear market saw a drop of 56.8% and lasted from October 2007 to March 2009.

This is now a correction, a drop of 10%. Don't kid yourself into thinking it's over after a week. On average they last 14 weeks, but the shortest have lasted about three weeks with a drop of 10.1%, and the longest lasted 15 months, September, 1976 to March 1978, almost a bear with a drop of 19.4%. (Note - the average correction is 17%) On average it takes 10 months to fully recover from a correction. That means the markets will go lower. Could it be different this time? Maybe, but history suggests not. The Fed is expected to raise rates three times this year. Everyone has been expecting the markets to react to rate increases, but instead the market was unnaturally complacent. This rapid gyration is an extremely common reaction! The market could over-react now, or it could be very volatile for months yet.

As I said in the last thread, many experts say when consumers get back into the market it signals the end of a bull market. $100 B flowed into the US markets in January, a sum now worth $90 B.

I did see a technical explanation of what happens with interest rates and inversions, which become indicators of a recession, but the gentleman suggested that was at least 24 months away.

On the other hand.......

Do you know what the VIX is? It's a measure of volatility in the market. The VIX has been sleeping for months and months, under 10, and in the last week went over 30. There has been a reverse fund, the opposite of the VIX, the XIV, which was an expression of the lack of volatility in the market. People have been making money betting on the XIV for almost three years, until it blew up in the past week. The XIV fund run by Credit Suisse dropped 95% and wiped out everybody who used it, as have other XIV funds.

I just saw a trader on CNBC say that the rumour is $200 B in trades need to be unwound to settle the XIV funds. $200 Billion! If that's true this may be a very volatile market for a long time, that might even turn into a bear.

Even worse, because the 2007/09 bear was a financial crash, sovereign funds around the world took on trillions in debt to save economies. If these funds start blowing up, things could get very nasty. I am not being excessively imaginative here, economists and financiers have warned that chickens must come home to roost for years, with some very dire predictions. OGE might make some comments about that. :) 

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

"Member when it was Obama's fault that the markets crash? Pretty sure it was on Jan. 20, 2009. "Member when the economy was great again? Pretty sure it was on Jan. 20, 2017.

What's going on here exactly?

I find few things more infuriating than the constant rhetoric from the right that we need to fund our depleted military and border security. No amount of money ever seems to be enough. Same goes for taxes. In a few years we'll be hearing that we're taxed too much and we need to cut the rates on the wealthy even more.

Our generation is going to have a swell time paying off the deficit while likely receiving little to none of the benefits. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

:tantrum:Listen Birdie, I haven't gotten to make a title in a while and I actually had a good idea. Don't be mad that I :ph34r:'d you, even if I cheated in doing so. :P

If the market drops tomorrow like it did to day, would that qualify as a legit market correction over the course of the last 6 business days? 

Archived