US Politics: Borrow And Spend Conservatism Marches On

Mr. Chatywin et al.

My God, the shooter wore a gas mask, had smoke grenades, and then pulled the fire alarm so all the kids would be coming out of the classrooms.

And what do we see politicians doing? A bill is making it's way through Congress to make reciprocal concealed carry the law across the country.

And in Florida a bill was just defeated that would remove the requirement on doctors to report [shootings] gun shot wounds. Because reporting gun shot wounds is a bad thing.

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My God, the shooter wore a gas mask, had smoke grenades, and then pulled the fire alarm so all the kids would be coming out of the classrooms.

And what do we see politicians doing? A bill is making it's way through Congress to make reciprocal concealed carry the law across the country.

And in Florida a bill was just defeated that would remove the requirement on doctors to report [shootings] gun shot wounds. Because reporting gun shot wounds is a bad thing.

Just another NRA terrorist doing NRA approved activities. 

56 minutes ago, Ormond said:

My strong impression, though, is that when political journalists talk about this data it's always as if the "college educated" only includes those with bachelor's degrees and above. It everyone with even "some college" is actually included in that, this needs to be made more clear by the pollsters to the media. 

I think that's a fair impression.  It may be journalists or even pollsters are breaking it down into three categories:  hs or less, some college, and college graduate or more.  This made sense when the percentage of advanced degrees was so low, and even was used by scholars  25-30 years ago, but would be viewed as antiquated now within the discipline.

59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How do we study these types of effects on voting behavior? 

Studies have demonstrated a hs graduate's political knowledge in the sixties is equivalent to a Bachelor's degree's today.  That's pretty easy to track and one can extrapolate to behavior from there.  As for generational differences in education, you can control by age; in fact, both age and education are controls in the vast majority of political behavior studies.

Just now, Mexal said:

You mean like the story where Stormy Daniels is claiming Cohen violated the NDA so therefore she can tell her story? 

Nah, that's boring too. Jace is interested in all the DACA peeps who are gonna get deported.

Meanwhile, that snapchat video was pretty fucking harrowing. Maybe this livens up?

9 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Just another NRA terrorist doing NRA approved activities. 

I have to admit, the bitter and darker side of me thinks it's kinda tempting to start a campaign called, say, #NRAapproved every time there's a mass shooting, school shooting, kids accidentally setting off guns and hurting each other, etc.

I doubt it would be good for anything other than feeling self righteous, however.

6 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I have to admit, the bitter and darker side of me thinks it's kinda tempting to start a campaign called, say, #NRAapproved every time there's a mass shooting, school shooting, kids accidentally setting off guns and hurting each other, etc.

I doubt it would be good for anything other than feeling self righteous, however.

Yeah but you;d have to post that tag like 9 or 10 times a day.

On top of that utterly abhorrent politico piece, the NYT yesterday appointed a new member to the editors board (iirc - might have been a differnet role) only to walk it back within a few hours as they got hammered over her being friends with neo nazis and had liberally used homophobic (and presumably other) slurs on her twitter in the past. It's a great look for one of the supposed bastions of investigate journalism when they don't even do basic research into their new hires.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I get your first point but I'm not sure i want mandatory reporting of wounds.  A good way to get a victim under investigation; especially with ICE running wild. 

Just now, SkynJay said:

I get your first point but I'm not sure i want mandatory reporting of wounds.  A good way to get a victim under investigation; especially with ICE running wild. 

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I get that some people still have a lot more faith in the police than I do at this point, but unless a victim wants their involvement I'd rather they stay out of it.

Appropriately anonymized data (and I mean it on the 'appropriately' - there have been far too many cases of data being reidentified in the last couple of years, see the fitbit data for example) being reported back for research and statistics purposes is all I'd want to see there. But I'm assuming the CDC isn't allowed to research gun violence again anyway? Or don't have the resources regardless with the way they're getting slashed.

6 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I get that some people still have a lot more faith in the police than I do at this point, but unless a victim wants their involvement I'd rather they stay out of it.

Appropriately anonymized data (and I mean it on the 'appropriately' - there have been far too many cases of data being reidentified in the last couple of years, see the fitbit data for example) being reported back for research and statistics purposes is all I'd want to see there. But I'm assuming the CDC isn't allowed to research gun violence again anyway? Or don't have the resources regardless with the way they're getting slashed.

The idea of requiring that gun shot wounds be reported is so that shootings can be investigated, and also so shootings can be counted.

If you don't report gunshot wounds, you further blur the picture of the role of guns in society. That to me would be playing right into the hands of the NRA, who have used all kinds of methods to blur that picture. Why can't the CDC investigate why people shoot other people? Because lawmakers have forbidden them from doing so.

All those fuckers receivers hundreds of thousands if not millions from the NRA in political donations. Marco Rubio tweeted his sympathy for the victims of this shooting and someone responded with this is the guy who has taken $3 M (and change) from the NRA.

Some people who are shot may be illegal immigrants who would be reported to ICE, but my God if that happens so be it. First of all they are likely to be a very small minority of shooting victims, and secondly having the numbers on gun violence way outweighs their issue.

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

On top of that utterly abhorrent politico piece, the NYT yesterday appointed a new member to the editors board (iirc - might have been a differnet role) only to walk it back within a few hours as they got hammered over her being friends with neo nazis and had liberally used homophobic (and presumably other) slurs on her twitter in the past. It's a great look for one of the supposed bastions of investigate journalism when they don't even do basic research into their new hires.

Norton lasted 0.026 Scaramuccis (aka "moochspans") and while the NYT is a fucking pile of shit, let us also not forget that yesterday WaPo announced it was hiring human carbuncle Megan McArdle, a person who has made their professional mission to be as wrong as possible about anything and everything. McArdle thinks that if those six-year-old kids at Sandy Hook had just, you know, bum-rushed Adam Lanza, they'd be alive today and it's their fault that they're dead because they were weak-ass chumps. Fuck them all: Fuck McArdle and Norton and the opinion sections of both NYT and WaPo, and I hope that a fire engulfs them all.

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I love my son so much. He is the light of my life. And every day I wonder if it was a good idea to bring him into this shit-encrusted world.

Hugs man.

If it helps at all maybe this could help in the midterms? It won't, but perhaps the belief that it will gives you some comfort. :grouphug:

Archived