The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Jaxom 1974

I think some folks mentioned this in different watching threads, and I'm late tobthe oarty, but wanted tonstate that this show has me almost seriously rethinking my negative views of streaming services and general disdain for non cable/network televison...

Writing was super strong. It didn't shy from anything.  The acting was perfect, not a single performance fell flat, and it gave you the right amount of disdain for Joel. The comedy was, I'm certain meant on purpose, to be more in tune with 2017, rather than 1957. But I'm okay with that.

Mrs. Jax did say that I wasn't allowed to call it, "Gilmore Girls in the 50s If Lorelei Hadn't Had Rory Young..."  And rrally, in the end, it really wasn't that at all.

Although there were some Gilmoresque moments, I feel that Marvelous Mrs Maisel is easily the best comedy I have watched last year. It was vibrant, funny, impeccably balancing between drama and comedy. I was truly impressed and I couldn't agree more about the cast. It certainly deserved all the praise. 

I loved it, as you say strong acting and writing throughout. And grief was Joel a hateable sap. Such a drip. 

I really enjoyed Midge’s relationship with her parents though. Often underscored by humour, they still managed to work in some deeper more touching scenes showing the love the three feel for one another. Even if midge did produce a granddaughter who looks more and more like Churchill every day :D 

Just started watching it.  Is it pretty much standard practise now on channels/networks/services that will allow it to get the star of the show completely naked in the first 3 minutes of the premiere?  I'm not complaining, just wondering if this is becoming an industry trope -- kind of a lazy way to get viewers to keep watching.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Just started watching it.  Is it pretty much standard practise now on channels/networks/services that will allow it to get the star of the show completely naked in the first 3 minutes of the premiere?  I'm not complaining, just wondering if this is becoming an industry trope -- kind of a lazy way to get viewers to keep watching.

While I agree in general, I don't think this is a fair criticism of THIS show. I don't think there is too much nudity here, actually IIRC (and someone correct me please if I am wrong), beside the glimpse of cabaret dancers and that particular scene, I don't think we have seen anything else.

8 hours ago, Risto said:

While I agree in general, I don't think this is a fair criticism of THIS show. I don't think there is too much nudity here, actually IIRC (and someone correct me please if I am wrong), beside the glimpse of cabaret dancers and that particular scene, I don't think we have seen anything else.

That's fine, I'm not talking about the show specifically, and don't expect the nudity to continue.  I am just referring to the first 3-5 minutes of any new show on these non-broadcast channels.  They all seem to have nudity right at the beginning as if they've been ordered to have it, or its understood by the producers/writers they should have it, in order to capture viewers, because they think of us rightly or wrongly as more likely to keep watching.

• 2 weeks later...

This is on The List (which is now reaching insane proportions). I wanted to watch it because I'd been impressed with Rachel Brosnahan's performance on House of Cards, which ended up being completely wasted as that show catpaulted over the shark in Season 2. Glad to see her in something else that's gotten a lot of acclaim.

my negative views of streaming services and general disdain for non cable/network televison...

Is that really a sustainable viewpoint at the moment? The only area I think the streaming services really need to conquer is sitcoms. They've had some very good dramadies, but their actual comedies have been weak (I tried Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and that was nope). The Tick is the first one I've seen which was actually, really funny, and you can even argue if that's a "sitcom" or not.

48 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This is on The List (which is now reaching insane proportions). I wanted to watch it because I'd been impressed with Rachel Brosnahan's performance on House of Cards, which ended up being completely wasted as that show catpaulted over the shark in Season 2. Glad to see her in something else that's gotten a lot of acclaim.

Is that really a sustainable viewpoint at the moment? The only area I think the streaming services really need to conquer is sitcoms. They've had some very good dramadies, but their actual comedies have been weak (I tried Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and that was nope). The Tick is the first one I've seen which was actually, really funny, and you can even argue if that's a "sitcom" or not.

You can make a case that all these are Dramedies but...

Everything Sucks on Netflix has some real funny. It's Freaks and Geeks pushed up a decade.

FLOW on Netflix is really good.

Red Oaks on Amazon shines when it's at its best, but it's not at its best that often, but the rest of the time it's ok to pretty good. 

I haven't gotten to season two yet but I really liked season one of Aziz Ansari's Master of None on Netflix.

I thought season one of Love on Netflix was good but two episodes into season two I quit.

Also, I get a lot of laughs out of Bill Burr's animated series F is for Family on Netflix.

• 5 months later...

Haha, now I have to think about getting Prime back damnit!

Loved season one though. And having just binged the entirety of Gilmore Girls I recognise some of the quirks from Sherman-palladino. 

Hoping the show does well at the Emmys, would be well deserved

Archived