Burn them all!

Morgana Lannister

Just wondering, we all talk those last words from the Mad King as his increased paranoia and, what can only call, a sadistic desire to burn his city. Now, why burn your city??? full of enemies??? likely but still... Now, the safest way to bury your own under threat from the Others and their minions is to "burn them all..."  I doubt very much Aerys knew about this threat directly, but would it be possible in his "madness" or let's venture to say "visions" and that he just wanted to ensure that "his dead stayed dead" probably not referring to what was happening there and then but "via vision" or something what could happen....

is what he meant and that he was misinterpreted by Jaime for one...  Could be totally, totally tin foil but the thought just stroke me and couldn't let it go lol

I'm aware that the reference is also to wyldefire, but in any even wyldefire might killl WWs too...

1 minute ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Just wondering, we all talk those last words from the Mad King as his increased paranoia and, what can only call, a sadistic desire to burn his city. Now, why burn your city??? full of enemies??? likely but still... Now, the safest way to bury your own under threat from the Others and their minions is to "burn them all..."  I doubt very much Aerys knew about this threat directly, but would it be possible in his "madness" or let's venture to say "visions" and that he just wanted to ensure that "his dead stayed dead" probably not referring to what was happening there and then but "via vision" or something what could happen....

is what he meant and that he was misinterpreted by Jaime for one...  Could be totally, totally tin foil but the thought just stroke me and couldn't let it go lol

This idea has been floated to ad-nauseam. I personally feel there's not really any proof of it. Aerys had a fetish for burning people alive and wanted to give one last  "screw you" to the rebels before he got out of the city.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

This idea has been floated to ad-nauseam. I personally feel there's not really any proof of it. Aerys had a fetish for burning people alive and wanted to give one last  "screw you" to the rebels before he got out of the city.

No worries if you don't ascribe to it, it just crossed my mind for the first time, is all :)

18 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Glad your civil. 

Always, or I try lol but I may still think this could be a twist...  I have been here a while but there is frankly difficult to know if what you post has been discussed or not, unless is something done to death lol

If it has been discussed to death, happy to see the post go lol but would love link to relevant post as subject interests me, obviously :)

57 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Always, or I try lol but I may still thing this could be a twist...  I have been here a while but there is frankly difficult to know if what you post has been discussed or not, unless is something done to death lol

If it has been discussed to death, happy to see the post go lol but would love link to relevant post as subject interests me, obviously :)

There is a search function here 

It's been put out there that maybe Bloodraven influenced the Mad King via his greenseeing somehow. They are distant kin and as you say "Burn them all" is an appropriate response to the Others threat. Maybe even this interference is what drove him mad, as he was relatively stable in his youth. As stable as any of the Targaryens of that era were anyways, they all seemed to have some sort of issue. I will say if this was attempted, it definitely backfired, pun intended. Aerys wasn't stockpiling wildfire to fight the Others, he was fueling his fire fetish. I'm not sold on this, but it's in the "eh, maybe" category. I generally dislike the notion that Bloodraven is responsible for everything slightly amiss that happens in Westeros, but this one at least has some solid reasoning.

9 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

It's been put out there that maybe Bloodraven influenced the Mad King via his greenseeing somehow. They are distant kin and as you say "Burn them all" is an appropriate response to the Others threat. Maybe even this interference is what drove him mad, as he was relatively stable in his youth. As stable as any of the Targaryens of that era were anyways, they all seemed to have some sort of issue. I will say if this was attempted, it definitely backfired, pun intended. Aerys wasn't stockpiling wildfire to fight the Others, he was fueling his fire fetish. I'm not sold on this, but it's in the "eh, maybe" category. I generally dislike the notion that Bloodraven is responsible for everything slightly amiss that happens in Westeros, but this one at least has some solid reasoning.

Bloodraven caused the bowl movement to which put Tywin in the vulnerable  place to be murdered by Tyrion lol. 

But honestly, I put "Aerys heard BR" as in the "possible maybe" category aswell. 

11 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

Always, or I try lol

You are really too kind ;)

This is what Jaime heard:

The traitors want my city, I heard him tell Rossart, but I'll give them naught but ashes. Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat. 

So I don't think he misunderstood his words. But Aerys has been definitely manipuleted. By who? Varys? Someone else? is there any kind of magic? In another thread we are discussing Dark Sister, Targaryen,  Bloodraven, magic and sorcerers, maybe it could interest you.

12 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I think this is what I sort of had in mind when the idea suddenly came to me, so at the moment on the fence as to whether some visions of some sort contributed to his madness, but I would tend towards "perhaps contributed" rather than "caused his madness."  Still good point regarding that not all that is amiss in Westeros is the work of Bloodraven.  Of course yes, the Targs are associated with fire and the wildefire have been produced since a long time ago and yes Aerys intended to unleash it against his enemies even if it meant to sacrifice the city to achieve it.  I probably went on a tangent here to be honest but yes my original idea is very close to what you are saying in that although the primary objective seems clear some visions (no proof that he had any though) could have made him even more inclined to use fire.  I reckon I just didn't express myself very clearly.

1 hour ago, Cridefea said:

So I don't think he misunderstood his words. But Aerys has been definitely manipuleted. By who? Varys? Someone else? is there any kind of magic? In another thread we are discussing Dark Sister, Targaryen,  Bloodraven, magic and sorcerers, maybe it could interest you.

Thank you :)

Yes, I would definitely be interested in reading that thread.

2 minutes ago, Shadow of Asshai said:

Isn't that phrase from the TV Show? I never read Jaime or any other POV claiming Aerys' last words were "burn the all". Yes, he intended to burn KL to the ground before Robert could take it, but the phrase itself was not used in the books.

You are right . I think that his last words were asking Jaime whose blood is  on his sword.

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Glad your civil. Too many people take a hostile approach to anyone who expresses an opinion they may not agree with.

Thank you.  Yes I am well aware.  I try to always stay polite although we all can argue against each others' positions fiercely but yes, I don't like it either when people get sarcastic and start belittling others. :)

2 hours ago, Shadow of Asshai said:

Isn't that phrase from the TV Show? I never read Jaime or any other POV claiming Aerys' last words were "burn the all". Yes, he intended to burn KL to the ground before Robert could take it, but the phrase itself was not used in the books.

May be not his last words, but did he not shout "Burn them All!" or something tantamount in the books, if not my apologies.  I do like both books and show and there is so much material my semi-senile brain sometimes gets them mixed up, still, my OP is the same with or without exact words and that his intention was clearly to burn the city so I could reward the OP but to me is either:

a)  I was reading well too much into it (without having been reading the books or watching the show that evening) and there are no visions connected to destroying bodies otherwise available to the death; or

b  There is something in it but it hasn't been spelled out yet, maybe hinted, maybe not...

7 hours ago, Cridefea said:

This. And the fact that Aerys had been showing signs of mental instability for a long time before that. And I say 'mental instability' to put it nicely and mildly, but come on... he enjoyed executing people by burning them alive and he got such a kick out of it that he'd follow that up by raping Rhaella. :ack:

22 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

This. And the fact that Aerys had been showing signs of mental instability for a long time before that. And I say 'mental instability' to put it nicely and mildly, but come on... he enjoyed executing people by burning them alive and he got such a kick out of it that he'd follow that up by raping Rhaella. :ack:

It was primarily a fleeting thought of mine last night even if I knew yes he wanted to have a real go at his enemies,  I still seat on the fence as to whether or not he had "visions" (nothing in the books for or against) but I can accept that my theory is crackpot and I said it was possible on my opening post.

9 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

It was primarily a fleeting thought of mine last night even if I knew yes he wanted to have a real go at his enemies,  I still seat on the fence as to whether or not he had "visions" (nothing in the books for or against) but I can accept that my theory is crackpot and I said it was possible on my opening post.

It is possible he had visions. I wouldn't say it's likely b/c there are no clues pointing to that imo.

17 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It is possible he had visions. I wouldn't say it's likely b/c there are no clues pointing to that imo.

Thanks.  No clear clues one way or the other, granted but then, if this was important (it probably is not and crackpot on my part, but fun nonetheless) hell, thought crossed my mind, I shared it... and thanks for your participation :)

Archived