NFL Offseason '18: Our American Cousins

Rhom

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

The passing numbers for Drew Brees in 2017 were drastically inflated by RB YAC. Kamara and Ingram combined for over 1200. The decline is further along than this thread suggests. 

Yep. I’ll cite this stat again because it’s really telling. While Brees led the league in accuracy, yards per attempt and was 4th in total yards, he was also third lowest in the league in average intended air yards per attempt, with only Glennon and Flacco averaging less per attempt. What this means is that he just throws a ton of very short passes and the RBs and WRs were getting a ton of YAC. IIRC, they led the league in YAC as a team in 2017. Hence why I was arguing that someone like Cousins could step in and somewhat replicate what Brees was doing.

In the context of the Glennon deal it looks rational. But for a few mil more they could have had Case Keenum or trade a 3rd for Nick Foles.

I would want to slap Howie Rosen if he gave up Foles for a 3rd Rounder.

The Eagles are thin in the draft this year. Foles though is the perfect backup for the team and I do not see a need to him move for anything short of a first round or multiple 2/3rd Round picks.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

While Brees led the league in accuracy, yards per attempt and was 4th in total yards, he was also third lowest in the league in average intended air yards per attempt, with only Glennon and Flacco averaging less per attempt. What this means is that he just throws a ton of very short passes and the RBs and WRs were getting a ton of YAC.

This has not been true of Drew historically.  Whether he made the change because it was working or because he had to is much harder to determine, but my eyeball test says that it is at least 50% the latter, if not more.  I would not invest in him beyond the 2018 season.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

This has not been true of Drew historically.  Whether he made the change because it was working or because he had to is much harder to determine, but my eyeball test says that it is at least 50% the latter, if not more.  I would not invest in him beyond the 2018 season.

Normally I'd agree, but Brees and Brady are kind of unique because their games are predicated around their ability to be accurate, make good decisions and get the ball out quickly. You can design offences around that that could give their careers more longevity than most QBs. 

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Normally I'd agree, but Brees and Brady are kind of unique because their games are predicated around their ability to be accurate, make good decisions and get the ball out quickly. You can design offences around that that could give their careers more longevity than most QBs. 

Clean the dick off your feet, boy!

If Breese ain't buyin, bitches be cryin'!

Remember when Brett Favre connected with whatshisfuck against the 49'ers that one time!?!

You have an honest to tits chance at another SB run.

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You know, when I heard that report on the radio I just knew you'd slide in here with some snark.

:P

I'd prefer a cheaper Keenum, but if he comes in at less than 30 mil it's a decent pickup. Especially if it's front-loaded and Teddy can be retained.

I'm firmly of the mind that Teddy can still be a star, but that leg needs more time.

15 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'd prefer a cheaper Keenum, but if he comes in at less than 30 mil it's a decent pickup. Especially if it's front-loaded and Teddy can be retained.

I'm firmly of the mind that Teddy can still be a star, but that leg needs more time.

Agreed. I’d rather have Keenum on the franchise tag than a long term, expensive deal with Cousins.

As far as Teddy goes, I can’t give an objective opinion because of the emotional attachment.

Great news Cowboys fans! It turns out Dez did infact make that catch in the 2014 playoffs against the Packers which very likely would've flipped the outcome of that game. Even as a Cowboy-hater I was vehement at the time that it was a fucking catch so glad there is justice in this world.

My understanding is now they'll have to replay the entire 2014 playoffs to determine who really would have won the Superbowl that year. I hope Tony Romo's arm is still loose. 

44 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Great news Cowboys fans! It turns out Dez did infact make that catch in the 2014 playoffs against the Packers which very likely would've flipped the outcome of that game. Even as a Cowboy-hater I was vehement at the time that it was a fucking catch so glad there is justice in this world.

It's funny because at the time it happened I was virtually certain that it was going to be called no catch.  Because according to the NFL's convoluted catch rule, it was not.  Now, if you're asking for a common sense answer of "should that be a catch?" the answer is obviously yes. 

However, the Calvin Johnson catch, even with the NFL's crazy 2010-2017 understanding on the catch rule, should have been a touchdown.  Overturning that call from a catch to no-catch was just ridiculous. 

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's funny because at the time it happened I was virtually certain that it was going to be called no catch.  Because according to the NFL's convoluted catch rule, it was not.  Now, if you're asking for a common sense answer of "should that be a catch?" the answer is obviously yes. 

However, the Calvin Johnson catch, even with the NFL's crazy 2010-2017 understanding on the catch rule, should have been a touchdown.  Overturning that call from a catch to no-catch was just ridiculous. 

Yeah but I was sure the Corey Clement TD catch in the Superbowl this year would be overturned on the same rationale and it wasn't. They had these bright line rules they believed would take subjectivity out of it...that every ref apparently has his own subjective interpretation of. So, doh. 

There is no silver bullet rule that will generate universal agreement of what a catch is which hopefully they're realizing now. They'd set the line so far on the "no catch" side that guys basically had to jog the ball back to the lockerroom with them and we'd need 3-4 replays of this fact before we could definitively say they'd caught the ball. The NFL has been so intent on saying "see that exciting thing you just saw? Yeah....it doesn't count now because, well..see the fine print." It's been kinda maddening. 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah but I was sure the Corey Clement TD catch in the Superbowl this year would be overturned on the same rationale and it wasn't. They had these bright line rules they believed would take subjectivity out of it...that every ref apparently has his own subjective interpretation of. So, doh.

The Corey Clement td was called a catch because the NFL didn't want a catch controversy in the SB.  I think the refs got the word that the rule is about to be changed, and to use common sense where possible.  Exactly what is strong enough to overturn the call on the field is always subjective, and that gave them an out.  If that had been called incomplete, it would have stayed incomplete. 

The 2010 Johnson catch didn't even have that - it was called a touchdown and reversed. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Corey Clement td was called a catch because the NFL didn't want a catch controversy in the SB.  I think the refs got the word that the rule is about to be changed, and to use common sense where possible.  Exactly what is strong enough to overturn the call on the field is always subjective, and that gave them an out.  If that had been called incomplete, it would have stayed incomplete. 

The 2010 Johnson catch didn't even have that - it was called a touchdown and reversed. 

Yeah but the Dez catch was also ruled a catch at the time. They went out of their way to overrule it. 

We can have our opinions about what they'll do as seasoned, cynical NFL fans....and we'll still be wrong because the consistency in how they apply the rule is just an illusion. 

There's an easy solution to this. Every time a catch is in dispute, cut to a camera feed of three legendary WRs and two legendary DBs. Voicelessly they stick one arm out, and like Roman emperors in the Colosseum, either give it thumbs up or thumbs down. Majority vote wins the day, and a lion is released onto the field of play. 

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, I guarantee you there were some senior NFL people in the replay center for that exact case.

The Clement catch, I thought it was just because the replay wasn't conclusive enough to overturn, which is supposed to be the standard for replay. The Bryant catch, by similar logic, shouldn't have been overturned if it was ruled a catch on the field.

Those replays that went in the Patriots' favor during the regular season (Jets and Steelers) shouldn't have been overturned, by that standard. The funny thing is that the Clement catch looked more obviously overturn-able than either of the preceding catches against the Pats, but I am sure Riveron got some direction about that before the playoffs.

Archived