Jon Snow being real Aegon

Putin

It's not gonna be the case in the books. Rhaegar won't name him Aegon, he already has a son named Aegon, and I'm assuming that he's not counting him on being murdered. Nor will Lyanna name him Aegon. She wants Ned to hide the baby, she won't announce to the world that he's a Targaryen bastard. Same goes for Ned.

10 minutes ago, lAPPYc said:

It's not gonna be the case in the books. Rhaegar won't name him Aegon, he already has a son named Aegon, and I'm assuming that he's not counting him on being murdered. Nor will Lyanna name him Aegon. She wants Ned to hide the baby, she won't announce to the world that he's a Targaryen bastard. Same goes for Ned.

My thoughts as well.  If anything his name should be Viserys.

Just now, aryagonnakill#2 said:

My thoughts as well.  If anything his name should be Viserys.

:agree:

To the degree that Rhaegar was preoccupied with recreating Aegon the Conqueror II is the likelihood that he's Viserys. 

1 minute ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

He doesn't have a "real" name, one secret one different than "Jon". As per the author, he was named by Ned. Not Rhaegar nor Lyanna. So, "Jon" is the only first name he has.

The very SSM you looks only proves Jon was named Jon by Eddard.  If R+L=J is true it is quite possible Jon has a name his mother gave him (which that verys SSM points out that mother can do), which Eddard then changed.

17 minutes ago, RagnarokKing said:

The very SSM you looks only proves Jon was named Jon by Eddard.  If R+L=J is true it is quite possible Jon has a name his mother gave him (which that verys SSM points out that mother can do), which Eddard then changed.

Not my interpretation.

Years (long years ago), we noticed his "clever with words" moment there: it was "Dany's mother... Tyrion's father... Ned". Now we consider R+L=J a given, and, for lack of new material, some look for hidden meanings buried under another hidden meaning. Higher order hidden meaning, if you will.

I think it's simply not there. 

47 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Not my interpretation.

Years (long years ago), we noticed his "clever with words" moment there: it was "Dany's mother... Tyrion's father... Ned". Now we consider R+L=J a given, and, for lack of new material, some look for hidden meanings buried under another hidden meaning. Higher order hidden meaning, if you will.

:agree:

My interpretation is that Martin brings up how a dead mother can still have been the person to pick a baby's name only because the question is "since all of their mothers died, who gave them their names?". The 'since' implies the person asking the questions just assumed it would have been someone else other than the mothers. 

2 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Not my interpretation.

Fair enough.  However, unless Lyanna died before she could name Jon (once again assuming R+L=J), she likely would have given him a name.  Is it plausible she died before she could do so?  Certainly, after all we don't know enough of what went down in the order of events.  The only thing we can be reasonable be certain of is that Lyanna extracted a promise from Ned.  We generally think that Jon was already born when Eddard got up to the tower to me Lyanna, but it could just as well been the case that she was still in the throes of childbirth, and it all ending before she could give a name to the newborn Jon.  Though for myself, while I will accept that we don't know, and that it is certainly plausible that Jon was not given a name by his mother, I will go on to think that Jon probably has another name he doesn't know about.

All these assumptions based on around the show saying his parents are Rhaegar and Lyanna. 

Never mind that the books havn't touched any of this yet. Pretty sure this is a show thread hahaha. 

As far as the books are concerned? 

Well it depends on who his mother and father is. Since neither have been revealed, kind of  a hard question to answer with out massive speculation. 

Since in the books Rhaegar already named one of his son's Aegon, i doubt he would name any hypothetical other child as Aegon. Rhaegar was seeking a daughter. Not another male. Would have named him Visenya lol 

Though hypothetically if he had a surprise son, he would have likely named him the next best king name, Jaehaerys. 

As he may be other's kids though, say Eddard? or Mance? His name could be something more Northern. 

8 hours ago, Putin said:

As we know is tv series show Jon Snow is said to be Aegon . Now what do you guys think about this being case in books too.Whats your general opinion about that.

The show invented their own story.   They conveniently left out Aegon to make room for Jon.  Jon is likely not coming back in the books.  At least, not as a man.  I do think he'll live on as a wolf.

13 hours ago, lAPPYc said:

Without touching on any other issues, I think happened at the ToJ was that KG were waiting for Lyanna to finish dying so they could take Jon into exile. Lyanna asked Ned to not let them take Jon, but instead for Ned to take Jon back with him to Winterfell to raise him there. In this scenario, even if Lyanna did give Jon a name before she died, it would not be a Targaryen one. So i totally agree with you, particularly on this issue.

12 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

He doesn't have a "real" name, one secret one different than "Jon". As per the author, he was named by Ned. Not Rhaegar nor Lyanna. So, "Jon" is the only first name he has.

Exactly.

12 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

The show invented their own story.   They conveniently left out Aegon to make room for Jon.  Jon is likely not coming back in the books.  At least, not as a man.  I do think he'll live on as a wolf.

I think this will be the case. In the show they've combined certain storylines for the sake of putting  together a good story, based off of ASOIAF, on film. Those last two words are key. Show fandom fell in love with Jon, so they kept him around. Or not, lol.

Is everybody here very stoned? ;)

Why is this even a topic?

There is no "Jon's secret name". Ned named him after Jon Arryn. End of story. Rhaegar was dead by the time Jon was born, so he could have only planned to give him a name - he never got to do it. You don't get a name until you're actually born. Lyanna had just given birth and was far more concerned with getting her brother to keep her son safe, than what name he would get. And even if she gave any thought to his name - he sure as hell wouldn't have asked Ned to give her son a Targaryen name and put a target on his little back immediately! She would have had to be a complete idiot or insane to do that.

Archived