Arya's End Role and Death: A Reconsideration

Lady Barbrey

I still think Arya will die, not sure how or why but that isn't important. What will be interesting is the fact that she will live a second life in Nymeria and raise hell at the head of her pack.

I don't know really what would happen.  I guess that Arya's skills will involve helping her family.  I don't think it would be with the Night King necessarily.  It could be.  I feel that battling the Night King is part of Bran and Jon's arc because those two are the only characters whose whole story so far is in the North and learning their skills to fight him.  I'm not saying that Arya won't be a part of it (I think she will play a small role), but I think her skills will be more about helping Sansa than Jon and Bran.  I think out of all her family, Arya's relationship with Sansa is the most complicated (Arya's relationship with her mother is complicated too. I believe that Arya will eventually meet Lady Stoneheart and come to terms about her relationship with her mother).  She has a good relationships with her brothers and gets along with all of them pretty well.  Mending the relationship between the sisters will be a big deal and can help with the war against the Night King.  I think Arya and Sansa are linked throughout this series.  I think that Sansa's skills will also help with the war against the Night King.  I think having an assassin will be useful to Sansa and Sansa's political skills can be useful to Arya.

Arya can still be the person to kill the Night King, but for some strange reason i feel that it is more with Jon's or Bran's story. 

On 15/02/2018 at 7:20 PM, Morgana Lannister said:

In fact the only thing, ironically, that seems to get in the way of this detachment is her desire for revenge.  .  .

But that's not true at all. 

Both in the books and the show disproves that very statement. It's not revenge that soothes her:

"If they are afraid, the candles soothe them. When you smell our candles burning, what does it make you think of, my child?"

Winterfell, she might have said. I smell snow and smoke and pine needles. I smell the stables. I smell Hodor laughing, and Jon and Robb battling in the yard, and Sansa singing about some stupid lady fair. I smell the crypts where the stone kings sit, I smell hot bread baking, I smell the godswood. I smell my wolf, I smell her fur, almost as if she were still beside me. - Arya, AFFC

It was the mention of Jon and her home that brought light back to her eyes. 

LSH is Arya's demon to slay. She will turn away from that path. 

@zandru One of the first things Arya asks Samwell is if he's going to the Wall. It's always in the back of her mind. Also your summation is based on a lot of unlikely assumptions based on very little but wishful thinking. Have you considered what impact Jeyne meeting Arya would do to her? Assuming Jon does remain "dead" through most of Winds (which is highly unlikely); Arya meeting him again would go a long way to helping her overcome her past and actually have some family to hold on to. 

The frozen needle quote is not meant to be read as literally as you have. It foreshadowed her time with the FM and Jon warning her against succumbing to that end by choosing to *stop hiding* or being No One. 

In the same chapter she remembers Winterfell so vividly, she also knows who she really is. 

"Only the kindly man knew the Common Tongue. "Who are you?" he would ask her every day.

"No one," she would answer, she who had been Arya of House Stark, Arya Underfoot, Arya Horseface. She had been Arry and Weasel too, and Squab and Salty, Nan the cupbearer, a grey mouse, a sheep, the ghost of Harrenhal . . . but not for true, not in her heart of hearts. In there she was Arya of Winterfell, the daughter of Lord Eddard Stark and Lady Catelyn, who had once had brothers named Robb and Bran and Rickon, a sister named Sansa, a direwolf called Nymeria, a half brother named Jon Snow. In there she was someone . . . but that was not the answer that he wanted." - Arya, AFFC

Archived