Does a Khal have "King's blood"

Varysblackfyre321

Yes I know dumb question and I'm sorry for asking something that has probably been discussed before but well do they? I mean a "Khal" is literally the closest thing to a king in Dothraki society. 

So would he make as worthy a sacrifice to garner a magical effect?

And what about societies with aristocracies or republics? Does the elected leader have the same magical quality to his blood that Melisandre finds Kings' have?

There is no such thing as kings blood.  It's about sacrificing something important to you.  The bigger the sacrifice, the bigger the reward.  Killing your wife gives you a dragon or a sword or something referred to as Lightbringer.

Dany killed her husband and child, and watched her brother die and got 3 dragons.  She killed MMD and got to walk into a fire because death pays for life, just like the WW's sacrifice the babies to raise the dead.  But for certain things I believe the sacrifice has to matter.  Dragons need a meaningful sacrifice, and that's one of the reasons I believe lightbringer is the dragons not a sword.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yes I know dumb question and I'm sorry for asking something that has probably been discussed before but well do they? I mean a "Khal" is literally the closest thing to a king in Dothraki society. 

So would he make as worthy a sacrifice to garner a magical effect?

And what about societies with aristocracies or republics? Does the elected leader have the same magical quality to his blood that Melisandre finds Kings' have?

Depends on how you take it or how the author want's to spin it. You could say that a King being made is arbitrary. As Belon Grey Joy tried to become King and failed. Then tried again for a time then was murdered. Did he have king's blood? 

Or it could be something more and only if you can trace back to Garth the Green the mythic first King of the First Men, then perhaps it is special and tied to fire magic and dragons and such. I tend to lean this way more then the latter.

People like Melisandre are hardly informed enough to know who truely probably has kings blood or more of it. She may have a vague idea but nothing detailed. To assume the King beyond the Wall has it would likely be tied to the idea that the Wall wasn't always there and that those lands were once ruled by a king of Westeros. At least by Garth the Green. 

Don't stop searching for answers :)

I do think King's blood exist in ancient First Men's dynastic lines that were at some point gifted by the children of the forest. Magic exist in asoiaf's world. The very first chapter introduces us to magical beings. So I believe in King's blood. Up to this point I think there exist some bloodlines that are still magical: the Baratheons (via their Durrandon ancestry) and the Starks. Using their blood in magical rituals is an effective way of doing whatever magic is involved in.

4 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I'm really confused how King's blood work. If, for example, Shitmouth declare himself a king, do that mean that his sons and grandsons have King's blood?

Yes! Also, his brothers, sisters, and spouse. "King's Blood" is kind of an imaginary, crudely associative thing.

3 hours ago, zandru said:

Yes! Also, his brothers, sisters, and spouse. "King's Blood" is kind of an imaginary, crudely associative thing.

I never got that impression-just people closely related to the  king.

But,I always felt it's odd Jon himself never worried about being sacrificed for his Stark blood.

Though one has to wonder how close.

7 hours ago, Kandrax said:

I'm really confused how King's blood work. If, for example, Shitmouth declare himself a king, do that mean that his sons and grandsons have King's blood?

"Declares himself" king, or actually becomes king? If the former, then no, neither his sons or grandsons, nor Shitmouth himself.

Since the earliest chapters in the series, "king" hasn't been just a word, but much, much more.

24 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But,I always felt it's odd Jon himself never worried about being sacrificed for his Stark blood.

Starks haven't been "kings" in 300 years. If you included the petty lords ruling each of the seven kingdoms, nearly every noble (and their bastards) would be considered to have "king's blood". Which would remove it from being a rare and precious commodity, in my opinion.

Oh, and I left out sisters and brothers of the king's queen. Plus any mosquitos, ticks, lice or leeches who recently tapped the royal persons.

I hope my flippant attitude isn't enraging anyone. I personally think Melisandre is full of it, and this is just another of her parlor tricks. There's a believable theory that she foresaw the deaths of Joffrey, Balon Greyjoy and Robb Stark in her flames and that Edric's kingsblood-filled leeches were just a ruse for the rubes.

24 minutes ago, zandru said:

Starks haven't been "kings" in 300 years. If you included the petty lords ruling each of the seven kingdoms, nearly every noble (and their bastards) would be considered to have "king's blood". Which would remove it from being a rare and precious commodity, in my opinio

I was thinking more on the lines his brother was recently a king so maybe he should be worried too? 

24 minutes ago, zandru said:

Oh, and I left out sisters and brothers of the king's queen. Plus any mosquitos, ticks, lice or leeches who recently tapped the royal persons.

I hope my flippant attitude isn't enraging anyone. I personally think Melisandre is full of it, and this is just another of her parlor tricks. There's a believable theory that she foresaw the deaths of Joffrey, Balon Greyjoy and Robb Stark in her flames and that Edric's kingsblood-filled leeches were just a ruse for the rubes.

That I find...quite plausible given the nature of how these people died Melisandre's history of speaking out of her ass to try to garner support and using magic she can do to trick people into thinking what she is doing is far greater(Stannis's magic sword.

On 2/12/2018 at 3:00 AM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Depends on who you ask probably. Though if Melisandre considers Mance's blood as "king's blood" then I think she'd consider a Khal's blood "king's blood" as well. Like a Dothraki Khal, Mance got his kingship through being the strongest and smartest leader among his piers. 

So if anyone proclaimed himself King, he could be ripe for being used in a magical ritual?

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So if anyone proclaimed himself King, he could be ripe for being used in a magical ritual?

I don't know, I guess it would depend on what the one doing the ritual considers to be "king's blood". All I said is if Melisandre considers Mance's blood to be "king's blood" then I think she'd consider a Khal to have "king's blood" as well, since they both became/become kings/khals in very similar ways.

Archived