Exercise and Fitness: Keep On Keepin' On

Xray the Enforcer

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Austrian resorts tend to be low don't they?  I ski every March, first week and always have great conditions, tend to favour the 3 valleys, as if its cold you can stay lower down in courchevel/meribel, if its warm you can ski in val thorens which is much higher.

Yeah, the top of this one was just over 2000m above sea level.

I went to Val Thorens in early/mid March of 2014 and had pretty much the same problem as the year after in Les Deux Alpes (spelling?) and this year in Schladming. Next time it will have to be January or February, March has shown as not so good.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

My goodness skiing in Austria must be so nice, you guys are very fortunate to have that opportunity.

It definitely was nice, though the weather decided not to cooperate :lol: 

If it had only been a bit colder, the snow would've been much better and the overall experience much more enjoyable.

Also, I must say that Schladming is great when it comes to the slopes and lifts - I don't think I've spent an hour waiting on the lifts in total for five days I was on the slopes. I'd definitely visit again though I'd go for January or February.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah I get what you're saying. Here it was more like at 9 PM there was plenty of snow on the ground, but by 10 am the next morning it had more or less melted. We could have probably had a couple hours of decent conditions, but I'm not paying $90 for that. 

In Serbia we have pretty much only one ski center worth mentioning - Kopaonik, topping just above 2000m above sea level, having some 50-60km of slopes. It has great conditions most of the time, but it's infamous for one kind of wind that can strip down a meter of snow to a clear field in a couple of days. It happens at the end of the season, though, so January and February are almost a guarantee of good conditions (usually cold with lots and lots of sun). 

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

Hit my goal weight for the month today, 6 days early!  Sitting at 195 now and started at 215 at the end of October.  I'm really liking the diet overall, just hard with the no alcohol rule.  I think for the next month I'll stick to it, but allow myself one day where I can consume alcohol, and also slowly add back some of the things I've cut out like sauces w/ sugar and rice.  Wife has also lost almost 10 lbs since the beginning of the month on Whole30 too.  We both thought it would be terrible, but it's actually not all that hard.

Congrats! And the alcohol thing is tough; the way I deal with it is science, which indicates drinking alcohol lowers your metabolism for up to 4 days after you do it. 

I'm kinda disappointed with my Sunday Warsaw halfmarathon result. I did menage to break my PB, but only by a mere two seconds. I was also hoping to get under 1:50 and I failed miserably with that, I didn't even break 1:55. I started too strong, first 5-6 k were 10-15 seconds per km faster than I planned, and in the later part of the distance it resulted in slowing down instead of speeding up. Final result was 1:55:57. 

It's anywhere close to the result I should be able to achieve considering my 5k pb (22:07) and 1 mile pb (6:17). Perhaps I'm just not suited for longer distances. Oh well.

Still recovering from this cold.  I won’t be back in the gym until the weekend, after two weeks off.  

But there is a silver lining: this week while visiting my wife’s parents for spring break, we’ve had access to table tennis.  We’ve played each day since Sunday.  I’m teaching my son (11) how to play, and then I play games against my wife and her cousin’s husband.  I was very rusty but improved quickly.  I’ve been planning anyway to return* to playing table tennis at a club in Chicago, so this was a nice chance to get some practice. 

*A friend and I wanted to pick up badminton, which we both played competitively when we were much younger.  But we couldn’t find any badminton courts in Chicago. Then we found that we also have table tennis in common, so we’ll do that instead.  Badminton is a better workout but table tennis is still pretty fun. 

On 3/28/2018 at 3:16 AM, 3CityApache said:

I'm kinda disappointed with my Sunday Warsaw halfmarathon result. I did menage to break my PB, but only by a mere two seconds. I was also hoping to get under 1:50 and I failed miserably with that, I didn't even break 1:55. I started too strong, first 5-6 k were 10-15 seconds per km faster than I planned, and in the later part of the distance it resulted in slowing down instead of speeding up. Final result was 1:55:57. 

It's anywhere close to the result I should be able to achieve considering my 5k pb (22:07) and 1 mile pb (6:17). Perhaps I'm just not suited for longer distances. Oh well.

You really shouldn't be disappointed when you ran a PB.  Progress, not perfection.  Perfect is boring anyway ;)

For me, today marks day 30 of the Whole30 diet.  Goal was to get to 195 lbs and today I weighed in at 190.8!  Lost 13 lbs, and since halloween have lost a total of 25 lbs!  Also took 34 workout classes during that period and was still able to build noticeable  strength and endurance during this period.

The 'diet' isn't actually all that bad, so I think I may stick to it for the most part.  There's nothing that I really miss and love the fact that I don't have to do any kind of tracking.  Might add back some sauces, beans, and allow myself the occasional burger; but overall I'm really liking the way I look and feel.  I thought this would be much more terrible than it actually was.  My wife and I have agreed that this might be a good twice a year activity.  Once before spring break and summer, and once before halloween.

Thanks Ace, it's just that I was so sure I was really well prepared for this race and it turned out I wasn't, not well enough to be fully satisfied at least. Or, and I'm starting to believe it of late, distances over 10k are really not my cup of tea. I was so wasted at the finnish lane that I really did my best. And I improved versus last year by two seconds?

I think I broke my nose last week, which is a bit of a pain. Especially since I wear glasses.

Other than that I’ve really been enjoying rugby recently after being down on it at the start of the season. I’ve even been the main line out jumper recently, by process of elimination, which is always fun.

Congratulations on opening a gym Luke!.

On 3/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, 3CityApache said:

Thanks Ace, it's just that I was so sure I was really well prepared for this race and it turned out I wasn't, not well enough to be fully satisfied at least. Or, and I'm starting to believe it of late, distances over 10k are really not my cup of tea. I was so wasted at the finnish lane that I really did my best. And I improved versus last year by two seconds?

A girl in my yoga class cut her marathon time by 30 minutes, and she says the only change to her training regimen is that she added hot yoga to it.  That seems like a lot to me.  I'm not a runner, so I can't speak w/ any kind of expertise, but my yoga training has helped my other sports as well.  Might be something to consider.

I returned to the gym at the weekend for bench press, cable rows, etc on Saturday and legs on Sunday.  I was concerned that the residue of the cold virus would hamper my performance but I surprisingly maintained all of my recent increases in bench press, squats and dead lifts.  It felt great but I do have lots of muscle stiffness now. 

Monday and Tuesday will have to be rest days because we have plans for both evenings.  I’m hoping for a workout on Wednesday or Thursday.  No travel this week. 

I've had a shitty past month, training-wise. My snowboarding trip and ankle injury (combined) caused me to break my training routine for some 20 days. When I came back, I was pretty sore after couple of workouts I did do and on top of that, last weekend I had some stomach problems that really drained my energy. This morning's workout sucked big time!

Oh well, I guess it's a new month and things are about to turn for the better.

I don't think I've seen this thread on page one in a long time. I thought about finding it last month, but I've haven't exactly lived up to my own expectations.

I bought a rowing machine and I adjusted my work hours so I can come in a little later so I have time to work out in the mornings. Unfortunately, I have mostly used the extra time for sleep.

It's getting better though. Why is it bad habits are so easy to form and good ones so hard? ;) 

(I'm not even trying to do much of anything yet, just get in the habit of getting up and working out, and let it slowly build up)

9 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I don't think I've seen this thread on page one in a long time. I thought about finding it last month, but I've haven't exactly lived up to my own expectations.

I bought a rowing machine and I adjusted my work hours so I can come in a little later so I have time to work out in the mornings. Unfortunately, I have mostly used the extra time for sleep.

It's getting better though. Why is it bad habits are so easy to form and good ones so hard? ;) 

(I'm not even trying to do much of anything yet, just get in the habit of getting up and working out, and let it slowly build up)

I've been doing 20-30 minutes of cardio in the mornings as of late (on work days). It was hard to get used to it at first, but once you get a consistent week under your belt it becomes normal. What has worked best for me is to move my alarm clock away from my bed so I have to get up, and I leave out my workout clothes the night before, so it becomes normal to change, stretch and get to it.

Good luck! 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been doing 20-30 minutes of cardio in the mornings as of late (on work days). It was hard to get used to it at first, but once you get a consistent week under your belt it becomes normal. What has worked best for me is to move my alarm clock away from my bed so I have to get up, and I leave out my workout clothes the night before, so it becomes normal to change, stretch and get to it.

Good luck! 

I do all that, except the clock. I went to bed a little earlier hoping it would help, but instead I woke several times during the night. Still, I dragged my sorry ass out of bed and did my tai chi warm up and 15 minutes on the rowing machine

@Lany Freelove Cassandra

Rowing is a great workout but the rowing machine is the tool of the devil! I think that's one piece of equipment that trains you mentally even more than physically. Having trained rowing for years, I know the feeling of that damned screen mercilessly showing you you have pulled weaker than you should have every single time you do.

Still, if I was given a choice of one training machine I could use for the rest of my life, it would be that one.

Pay special attention to getting your technique right and keep at it. :thumbsup:  

3 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I do all that, except the clock. I went to bed a little earlier hoping it would help, but instead I woke several times during the night. Still, I dragged my sorry ass out of bed and did my tai chi warm up and 15 minutes on the rowing machine

Try it. You’ll be surprised how well it works. I went out and specifically bought a clock that was equal parts loud and annoying and I put it as far away from my bed as I can. Once you get up, there’s no point in going back to bed. You’ll be the victim of the snooze button no more!

3 hours ago, baxus said:

@Lany Freelove Cassandra

Rowing is a great workout but the rowing machine is the tool of the devil! I think that's one piece of equipment that trains you mentally even more than physically. Having trained rowing for years, I know the feeling of that damned screen mercilessly showing you you have pulled weaker than you should have every single time you do.

Still, if I was given a choice of one training machine I could use for the rest of my life, it would be that one.

Pay special attention to getting your technique right and keep at it. :thumbsup:  

The rowing machine is the best warm up for a solid lifting session.

40 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The rowing machine is the best warm up for a solid lifting session.

Trust me, there are rowing machine workouts after which you wouldn't be able to lift your head let alone weights. ;) 

Archived