Why do book readers hate R+L=J?

manchester_babe

On 2/13/2018 at 8:31 AM, manchester_babe said:

Why do book readers h8 R+L+J?

Lol.  Check out this thread, eh?

I doubt book readers, on the whole, feel one way or the other about RLJ.  

But the forum denizens... well, whether they believe the tale or no, they just luuuuuuuuuurv to talk about it.   :cool4: 

3 hours ago, Jon_Stargaryen said:

Was I wrong though? Robert is a garbage human being...

Well, he was a drunk and a philanderer, someone you might want to hit with a garbage can but he's hardly the worst character in the books.  Aerys Targaryen for example or Ramsey Bolton or Euron Greyjoy.   

4 hours ago, Jon_Stargaryen said:

Not necessarily. There are people much worse than him: King Aerys II, Joffrey, The Mountain, Ramsay Snow, Craster and Rorge.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, Jon_Stargaryen said:

I do not condone spousal abuse or rape nor do I condone child abuse .

Robert was a tragedy , he was not some grasping power mad despot who could not handle the reins of power , he did not want it ,he was placed into this position by Jon and Eddard. His council which should have been made up friends , most was killed in the war , while others like the Conningtons , his banner men turned traitor. His council and his wife was chosen by Jon Arryn . He was a warrior without a war . In the city as large as King's Landing he was totally alone , his brothers hated him ,trapped in a loveless marriage . His only enjoyment is drinking , whoring and hunting ,and to top if off it is Rhaegar who is remembered fondly .

Robert had his flaws, namely he was irresponsible, self-indulgent, hot-headed and often acted without thinking but that hardly makes him the worst person in Westeros.  He could hold a grudge, as with the Targaryens, but he could also be generous and forgiving, as with the Greyjoys.  He was more of a sinner than a saint but he's not really that terrible a character, more a pitiable drunk and a buffoon.

On 5/13/2018 at 11:20 AM, Angel Eyes said:

This is a small list of people who are worse than Robert Baratheon.

On 5/13/2018 at 2:22 AM, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

I do not condone spousal abuse or rape nor do I condone child abuse .

Robert was a tragedy , he was not some grasping power mad despot who could not handle the reins of power , he did not want it ,he was placed into this position by Jon and Eddard. His council which should have been made up friends , most was killed in the war , while others like the Conningtons , his banner men turned traitor. His council and his wife was chosen by Jon Arryn . He was a warrior without a war . In the city as large as King's Landing he was totally alone , his brothers hated him ,trapped in a loveless marriage . His only enjoyment is drinking , whoring and hunting ,and to top if off it is Rhaegar who is remembered fondly .

On 5/11/2018 at 10:46 PM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

He was a bad king, and he openly admits it.  There are far more evil characters out there that are actively trying to hurt, kill and manipulate innocent people for personal gain. 

On 5/11/2018 at 9:04 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Not necessarily. There are people much worse than him: King Aerys II, Joffrey, The Mountain, Ramsay Snow, Craster and Rorge.

People being worse than Robert doesn't mean that he isn't a garbage human being.

There are plenty of people worse than Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton, but they're not garbage people themselves; it simply means that there are worse out there.

Archived