Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

Yeah, I am resigned to him going to Real Madrid in the summer. He’s the finest player I’ve ever seen play for Chelsea, so it will be a massive hole to fill when he’s gone. No matter how much Real pay us for him, we won’t be able to sign anyone near his quality.

The turn out at this Napoli v RB Leipzig game is shocking. If you couldn’t hear the noise from the fans, you’d think they were playing in an empty stadium.

Napoli are being outplayed as well. Leipzig have squandered a number a good opportunities and Napoli scored very much against the run of play. On the balance of play, Leipzig should be more than just the one goal ahead. Serie A is probably the priority for Napoli though.

I have to hand it to the SFA, by the way. I didn't think there was any option for Scotland manager that could be less inspiring than asking Walter Smith to come back. But they found one - asking Alex McLeish to come back! 

Presumably Andy Roxburgh was next on the list if Craig Brown turned them down.

Fuck's sake. 

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

I have to hand it to the SFA, by the way. I didn't think there was any option for Scotland manager that could be less inspiring than asking Walter Smith to come back. But they found one - asking Alex McLeish to come back! 

Fuck's sake. 

I was surprised when Michael O'Neill eventually turned the SFA down.

I thought O'Neill had worked wonders with this group of NI players - the core of which are over 30 and, at best, have one tournament left in them. It seemed to me like it was a good time to leave, and taking the Scotland job would have been a move up the international management ladder. Despite the fact NI has performed better than Scotland lately, we have an extremely limited pool of players to choose from; there are very few NI players playing at Premier League level. Taking the Scotland job, he would have had the opportunity to pick from a larger quantity of players, and despite their failings as a team, better quality of players, too. Plus, he lives in Scotland, which I thought would have been another deciding factor for him.

57 minutes ago, mormont said:

Fuck's sake. 

This is so, so depressing. 

I was rolling my eyes when John Hughes insisted he deserved an interview for the job - and honestly, I'd still consider him an awful appointment - but at least it would show more courage than just scrolling through your past managers' phone numbers one by one. 

Alex McLeish's win record since leaving Scotland is under 40% and his last job was in the Egyptian league, nearly two years ago.

If only we could play Hull every week...

A very professional performance from Chelsea tonight. They knew what they had to do, so went about getting the job done as quickly as possible. 

There were a few really strong performances tonight: Ampadu was so composed on the ball at the back and made some key blocks; Fabregas ran the show from midfield; Pedro caused havoc in the first half; and Giroud played a part in all four goals. It was nice to see Kyle Scott make his debut, while Hudson-Odoi looked brilliant once again.

Special mention for Willian, though, who was on a different level. I’d have him in the team every week, but I can’t see him starting on Tuesday night. I’d probably start Giroud over Morata, too, but I can’t see that happening, either.

Anyway, it may not have been great opposition, but after some of our bad results lately, we needed this and the result against WBA on Monday to instill a bit of confidence back into the side as we head into tricky (to say the least) run of games.

We’re coming for you, we’re coming for you...Barcelona, we’re coming for you...

58 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

If only we could play Hull every week...

A very professional performance from Chelsea tonight. They knew what they had to do, so went about getting the job done as quickly as possible. 

There were a few really strong performances tonight: Ampadu was so composed on the ball at the back and made some key blocks; Fabregas ran the show from midfield; Pedro caused havoc in the first half; and Giroud played a part in all four goals. It was nice to see Kyle Scott make his debut, while Hudson-Odoi looked brilliant once again.

Special mention for Willian, though, who was on a different level. I’d have him in the team every week, but I can’t see him starting on Tuesday night. I’d probably start Giroud over Morata, too, but I can’t see that happening, either.

Anyway, it may not have been great opposition, but after some of our bad results lately, we needed this and the result against WBA on Monday to instill a bit of confidence back into the side as we head into tricky (to say the least) run of games.

We’re coming for you, we’re coming for you...Barcelona, we’re coming for you...

Only saw the highlights. Good stuff from Willian. Giroud seems like an awesome teammate. Just reading his body language, and he seems like a guy that's always positive and good to have on the pitch. Tuesday will be interesting. I think we're lucky if we get a draw. If we come out of the game at all with a chance to win it in the second leg - I think we have to consider that a victory.

12 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Only saw the highlights. Good stuff from Willian. Giroud seems like an awesome teammate. Just reading his body language, and he seems like a guy that's always positive and good to have on the pitch. Tuesday will be interesting. I think we're lucky if we get a draw. If we come out of the game at all with a chance to win it in the second leg - I think we have to consider that a victory.

Giroud is definitely one of those centre forwards that offers a lot more than just goals. Tonight, he was part of neat moves with Willian and Pedro, occupying the defenders, holding the ball up, and winning the ball back from the Hull players. I think he’d be a good option against Barcelona if we have to go long, as his physicality could cause their defenders problems.

But, yeah, I agree - I’m not confident going into this Barcelona game, but if we can stay in the tie going into the second leg, that would be an achievement, at this point.

That was for broadcast only and not used by the officials to determine whether Mata was offside. The proper lines show pretty clearly that the correct decision was made on review. The real controversy should be who decided to put that three year old’s drawing on TV undermining VAR and playing into Mourinho’s narrative that there is some conspiracy to bring him down.

Archived