Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

4 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

That was for broadcast only and not used by the officials to determine whether Mata was offside. The proper lines show pretty clearly that the correct decision was made on review. The real controversy should be who decided to put that three year old’s drawing on TV undermining VAR and playing into Mourinho’s narrative that there is some conspiracy to bring him down.

How can you tell the right decision was made, since apparently the only offside screen angle to be broadcasted was an idiocy ?

21 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

How can you tell the right decision was made, since apparently the only offside screen angle to be broadcasted was an idiocy ?

Because the real one, which was used to make the decision, was broadcast later - showing Mata was about 5cm offside.

14 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Because the real one, which was used to make the decision, was broadcast later - showing Mata was about 5cm offside.

The old ‘give the attacker the benefit of the doubt’ rule has clearly gone out of the window since VAR has come in. 

22 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

The old ‘give the attacker the benefit of the doubt’ rule has clearly gone out of the window since VAR has come in. 

Well yeah. If you can VAR it, there's no doubt to give the benefit of.

Assuming you can VAR it with straight lines and everything.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well yeah. If you can VAR it, there's no doubt to give the benefit of.

Assuming you can VAR it with straight lines and everything.

I know it’s technically offside due to that wretched, wicked kneecap of Juan Mata’s that managed to sneak into an offside position (how dare it?!) , but I still can’t help but feel it’s unfair to have that goal taken away for that.

9 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I know it’s technically offside due to that wretched, wicked kneecap of Juan Mata’s that managed to sneak into an offside position (how dare it?!) , but I still can’t help but feel it’s unfair to have that goal taken away for that.

You do see the controversy in this statement?

It IS offside, but it's unfair to have that goal taken away for that.

Where exactly do we draw the line between "fair" and "unfair" disallowing goal due to offside?

3 minutes ago, baxus said:

You do see the controversy in this statement?

It IS offside, but it's unfair to have that goal taken away for that.

Where exactly do we draw the line between "fair" and "unfair" disallowing goal due to offside?

As I said, that’s the problem. A knee poking out an inch or two doesn’t really seem like a fair reason, to me, to take a goal away from someone. At such a fine margin, people could start questioning the line used, trying to find away to ask how anyone be 100% sure that his kneecap was ahead of the defender? 

In my eyes, with something as close as that, even with VAR, the benefit should be given to the attacker. But that’s just my opinion, which isn’t in line with the rule book and general consensus.

I think we will all know a little better how we feel about it when our own team has a goal disallowed by VAR because a knee cap was offside.

As Polish already said, that's the whole point of VAR - there is no benefit to give. The player is either offside or not and if he/she is then there's no goal. Period.

If you don't like the offside rule, that's another thing but as long as it's in effect it should be enforced.

17 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I think we will all know a little better how we feel about it when our own team has a goal disallowed by VAR because a knee cap was offside.

You seem to have forgotten why there was a need for VAR in the first place.

Due to lack of VAR, we all already know how we feel about it when our own team concedes a goal because the opposing player is in a clear offside or has a penalty awarded against after the opponent has taken a dive or countless other situations where our team suffered from a bad call.

13 minutes ago, baxus said:

As Polish already said, that's the whole point of VAR - there is no benefit to give. The player is either offside or not and if he/she is then there's no goal. Period.

If you don't like the offside rule, that's another thing but as long as it's in effect it should be enforced.

You seem to have forgotten why there was a need for VAR in the first place.

Due to lack of VAR, we all already know how we feel about it when our own team concedes a goal because the opposing player is in a clear offside or has a penalty awarded against after the opponent has taken a dive or countless other situations where our team suffered from a bad call.

Look, I know it’s offside. I know how the rule works. I know how VAR works. And I know why it came in in the first place.

But, despite all that, I am still able to think that it seems incredibly harsh that someone has a goal disallowed because a small section of their knee was offside. I don’t see how he can have ‘gained an advantage’ by that knee being ahead of play. Hit me with ‘he could have scored with his knee’ etc etc if you want. I still feel it’s harsh. Rules or no rules. VAR or no VAR.

I’m not arguing that it shouldn’t have been disallowed by VAR. I just feel sympathy with the attacking side on this one, due to the rules themselves.

If VAR wasn’t being applied, and that goal had been given, I doubt many people would have been up in arms about it, even amongst Huddersfield fans.

A technical glitch or whatever it was with the weird lines was absurd and resulted in those already opposed to VAR to come out and shout at the top of their lungs again and make a mountain out of a molehill. There can be no doubt that Mata was offside. 1cm or 1 meter, offside is offside and VAR (eventually) proved conclusively that he was. There's really no controversy here. The system just needs more refining which we already knew and it will take a bit of time.

Trying to sum up my problem, it comes down to this: Pre-VAR, if no offside was called for Mata’s and the goal stood, I don’t think it would have necessarily been a ‘wrong decision’. Now a goal has been disallowed by VAR that wouldn’t really have been contested before VAR was introduced.

Pre VAR no reasonable person would have blamed the linesman for raising or not raising the flag in that situation. The offside was so marginal that one cannot expect a human being to be 100% certain - it would be a gut call. But this situation shows why VAR is necessary: to provide conclusive evidence that a person alone could never be 100% sure of. You can feel sorry for Mata but the correct decision was reached which is the whole point of VAR.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

That's pretty dumb though - you're saying that if it's close, you dont really care, right or wrong. What's your problem with accuracy?

You can whine about how pointless a knee sticking out is, but that's what the rule is. Why don't we burn the rule book up entirely and allow every player a bazooka!?!

‘Harsh’ was the word I used. 

Look, I’m whining about how ‘pointless a knee sticking out is’ because I really don’t think it’s that much of advantage, but it’s the rules, so be it: Mata was offside.

VAR disallowed the Mata goal, that’s fine. Let’s just hope that it stays consistent like that from now on, and no goal with a knee, or a nose, or a stud, or a loose thread in an offside position is given during a match when VAR is being used.

I’ve agreed from the start that by the book, it’s an offside; it’s the book I don’t agree with and deem ‘harsh’. Some people don’t like that any contact in the box can result in a penalty; I don’t like that such a fine margin as a knee being ahead of play is an offside.

I’m ranting as opposed to arguing.

Archived