Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

So disappointed for Atalanta. Much the better side on the night only to lose it at the death to a fluke goal.

Horrible news from Spain, where a policeman has been killed after clashes between the Athletic and Spartak fans.

48 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Arsenal draw AC Milan in the last 16. Gonna be good. Milan will be taking this competition very seriously given they are 8 points off 4th place.

definitely the best tie of the draw. Milan have been playing great, excited to watch it.

5 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

definitely the best tie of the draw. Milan have been playing great, excited to watch it.

Delighted with this draw. Would much rather play them than the likes of Salzburg or Viktoria Plzen.

Meanwhile the Bundesliga 2 encounter between promotion contenders Düsseldorf and Regensburg is highly entertaining.

Düsseldorf being up 3-0 after 15 minutes at Regensburg, now 77 minutes into the game, it's 4-3 for Regensburg.

23 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Apparently Martial and United have hit a bit of an impasse during contract negotiations. Would be awesome if he didn’t sign long term and left. Quality player

Not really surprising. Mourinho has never missed an opportunity to drop him. He'd be amazing playing for a manager who actually has faith in him and allows his qualities to shine.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

You'll know when you see them play or when you come across some random bit of information regarding the club's history or their fans or whatever.

It's not a rational decision.

If it's not a rational decision, why do non-English fans overwhelmingly pick clubs in contention for the title or the Champions League at least?

It’s not just international fans that do that, though. You also find a large amount of Man United fans in London. 

But maybe it’s things like these big teams being the first team the person sees play, or they have a player that they like, or like their kit, or something else simple like that, and just decide to support the club from that, which is kind of what Baxus was saying.

I support Chelsea, for instance, because my uncle decided to support them when he was a kid, as he liked Charlie Cooke, a Chelsea player in 60s/70s. Since that, Chelsea became the family team.

In a sense, you can describe us as ‘international’ fans, despite being from just across the pond.

I have tried to support teams from the continent but I find it hard to really care too much beyond the Premier League, but that’s largely because I watch UK TV, and everything on Sky and BT is geared towards the Premier League.

51 minutes ago, Hereward said:

If it's not a rational decision, why do non-English fans overwhelmingly pick clubs in contention for the title or the Champions League at least?

This is a good question.  Do supporters in England root for a local side, whatever team that might be, and then have a Premier League team they like to root for?

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

It's probably easier to follow Madrid, Chelsea, United, City, Liverpool, Barca, Bayern than Stoke. The more often you see them, the easier you find a player you like/dislike on a team. And that's usually a solid starter.

Having that said, I wonder how many fans were turned off by Reals thug three (Sergio Ramos, Pepe and Marcelo (to a somewhat lesser extent)).Three of the most unlikable players were assembled in one team there.

8 minutes ago, Notone said:

It's probably easier to follow Madrid, Chelsea, United, City, Liverpool, Barca, Bayern than Stoke. The more often you see them, the easier you find a player you like/dislike on a team. And that's usually a solid starter.

One of the biggest factors outside of the World Cup for US fans getting deeper into world football is coverage in the States has absolutely boomed in the last 5 years.

The Premier League on NBCSN is thorough and it's easy to get to know players from across the 20 clubs. At least 2, more often 3, and occasionally 4 games in a row will be aired live on Saturday and Sunday, schedule permitting. It's great to wake up, make coffee and settle in for a few games before the day is in full effect.

The Bundesliga gets matches by Fox (FS1, FS2) each weekend, as well, if that's your thing.  Their studio team is nigh on impossible to watch, though. Alexi Lalas is such a condescending git.  They also show all the major teams Champions League games live, as well as FA Cup coverage. 

La Liga is on BeIN network, which is less common.  And if you really want to watch football and work on your Spanish in the US, get into Liga MX. Univision has the live games.They pull the biggest ratings nationally.

ESPN shows MLS games, but it's less predictable when they have it because of other sports taking precedence.

22 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

This is a good question.  Do supporters in England root for a local side, whatever team that might be, and then have a Premier League team they like to root for?

Not usually, no. If someone considers themselves a fan of a lower league side they don't generally actively support a Premier League team.

3 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

One of the biggest factors outside of the World Cup for US fans getting deeper into world football is coverage in the States has absolutely boomed in the last 5 years.

The Premier League on NBCSN is thorough and it's easy to get to know players from across the 20 clubs. At least 2, more often 3, and occasionally 4 games in a row will be aired live on Saturday and Sunday, schedule permitting. It's great to wake up, make coffee and settle in for a few games before the day is in full effect.

I have to say I was surprised with how easy it was to watch football when I was in New York a few years ago. I was expecting it to be difficult so I was looking up supporters clubs and stuff so I could watch the Liverpool game and then it turned out it was on in most of the sports bars I went passed.

Archived