Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

14 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

The Bundesliga gets matches by Fox (FS1, FS2) each weekend, as well, if that's your thing.  Their studio team is nigh on impossible to watch, though. Alexi Lalas is such a condescending git.  They also show all the major teams Champions League games live, as well as FA Cup coverage. 

Isn't Ian Joy part of Fox Bundesliga team? (Ian Joy is still the most awesomest US footballer ever ;))

56 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

This is a good question.  Do supporters in England root for a local side, whatever team that might be, and then have a Premier League team they like to root for?

The vast majority of fans just support one of the big Premier League sides - especially the more casual ones. As ljkeane said, lower league fans tend not to have a Premier League side as their second team. We are often far too proud of our independence and suspicious of the PL’s willingness to screw over the lower leagues for any marginal gain to get too emotionally invested in any one club.

What is much more common is for Football League sides to be the second teams of Premier League fans who live too far from or find tickets too pricy at their main sides. If lower league fans do take a second team it is usually even further down the food chain or abroad.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve been watching soccer for a year and a half now and I still don’t know which club I should root for.

:bawl:

Not something that can be forced, but thinking about what you like about the teams you support in other sports and looking for parallels might help you narrow down those you could fall for.

4 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

What is much more common is for Football League sides to be the second teams of Premier League fans who live too far from or find tickets too pricy at their main sides. 

Yeah, this is definitely a thing. Before they moved, I used to enjoy a trip over to Underhill to watch Barnet play, and I have occasionally been known to pop down to Brisbane Road to see the Os.

39 minutes ago, Notone said:

Isn't Ian Joy part of Fox Bundesliga team? (Ian Joy is still the most awesomest US footballer ever ;))

He is, but completely canceled out by the trio of Stu Holden, Rob Stone, and Alexi Lalas.  Too bad they won't be bringing Eric Wynalda back after his unsuccessful run at USSF president.  Kate Abdo is okay when they have her anchor the coverage.  This team doesn't seem like the enjoy being around one another, which makes the studio time sour.

The NBCSN studio, anchored by Rebecca Lowe, along with  a rotation of Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe, and Kyle Martino (soon to return from his unsuccessful bid for USSF president), are much easier to enjoy.  They don't talk the game down to the US audience, and neither do the play-by-play or color commentators, which has been great, in my opinion. I'll spare you all my thoughts on the play-by-play and in-game commentators, but I'm starting to figure out who I like and who I think are a bit too over the top. I love hearing Jon Champion call a game.

23 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

He is, but completely canceled out by the trio of Stu Holden, Rob Stone, and Alexi Lalas.  Too bad they won't be bringing Eric Wynalda back after his unsuccessful run at USSF president.  Kate Abdo is okay when they have her anchor the coverage.  This team doesn't seem like the enjoy being around one another, which makes the studio time sour.

The NBCSN studio, anchored by Rebecca Lowe, along with  a rotation of Robbie Earle, Robbie Mustoe, and Kyle Martino (soon to return from his unsuccessful bid for USSF president), are much easier to enjoy.  They don't talk the game down to the US audience, and neither do the play-by-play or color commentators, which has been great, in my opinion. I'll spare you all my thoughts on the play-by-play and in-game commentators, but I'm starting to figure out who I like and who I think are a bit too over the top. I love hearing Jon Champion call a game.

Well, point is, I like Ian. He is a great guy. He played for us for a few years and he still used to travel to testimonials and charity matches (despite his anchor job in the US). And for him personally it was kinda unhappy how his time here ended. Before I write the whole thing Ian's own account of his battle with depression.

Also Scroll a bit down for his own words in English.

So I really have a soft spot for Ian.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Not something that can be forced, but thinking about what you like about the teams you support in other sports and looking for parallels might help you narrow down those you could fall for.

My sports allegiances are entirely based on where I grew up, so that doesn't help. I did a study abroad in Argentina and it was during the 2010 World Cup, so I've always rooted for them when the U.S. isn't in a specific tournament, and I root for the players who were on that team, but I am unable to get La Liga and was really looking for an EPL team. Someone posted a test for me a few years back and it said I should be a fan of Chelsea, but they had just won the championship and I didn't want to be a bandwagon fan. 

Chelsea became my team when I was in high school and I got to see the CL regularly (about 12 years now). I played defense on our school team and liked watching Terry play. The guy is an ass, but liked the way he played. I grew fond of other players on the squad and have been a fan since. 

In regards to internationals and picking big clubs to root for, seems obvious. Naturally it's easier to pick a team that's good and on television a lot to watch/cheer for than it would be Crystal Palace, etc. I have a lot of friends that are Arsenal fans, a couple United fans, and I've recently convinced my mid-50's co-worker into watching the PL, so he decided to root for Watford as his ancestry.com account informed him that would be the most geographically favorable team to pick. I told him to reconsider, but to no avail. 

4 hours ago, Hereward said:

If it's not a rational decision, why do non-English fans overwhelmingly pick clubs in contention for the title or the Champions League at least?

For starters, those teams are much more likely to have a player (or players) that's exciting to watch than teams struggling to stay in the league. I mean, if you were just starting to watch Premier League would you be more likely to enjoy watching Man City or Newcastle*? I mean, even Newcastle got most of their overseas fans during the period they had players like Ginola, Shearer, Asprilla etc.

*I apologize to MC and BFC as our resident Newcastle supporters, but what I've seen from Newcastle this season has been truly horrible.

11 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Surely airing Geordie Shore on American MTV has been the greatest form of promotion for the Magipies, like, ever?

What, you don't think DeAndre Yedlin being Tyneside isn't drawing in new American supporters? ;)

But seriously, I know fans of West Ham, Everyone, and Palace. In both cases they attended games and that was that. 

Archived