Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

Good 2nd half from United, despite conceding what should probably have been an allowed goal from Morata. (I know that's debatable, but anyway it was a rough decision to make)

Glad for Lukaku, the guy finally has a reference-game against a big opponent in a Utd shirt. Good to see Bailly back, too.

Yep, Chelsea is going to have a hard time settling in the big 4. 

Decent enough 2nd half performance. Happy with the result but previous complaints concerning our system still stands. We still 'wing it' when attacking, off the ball movement remains just as static as it was under LVG and our counter-pressing is nonexistent. So long as this is the case, we will never close the gap on City and we will never be among the CL contenders. All those deficiencies are squarely on the manager and his coaching staff.

Watching Atleti dismantle Sevilla makes me even more pissed off at Mourinho's 'tactics'. You can set up defensively like Simeone has but still actually have a plan to attack instead of being a coward like Mourinho especially since Sevilla are trash defensively. They make Arsenal look like a well drilled defensive unit.

Does anyone have a good website for following all the major (european) football leagues?

I'm primarily interested in the PL, but it would be nice to have somewhere that devotes serious time and column inches to Spain, Italy, Germany (and France, I guess) as well. 

Goal.com is the only one that seems to get close that I've found, but I'm sure there's something better out there. Anyone?

Scott Brown is the poster boy for players who prefer being a big fish in a small pond at Celtic.

Coming out of a rough challenge is one thing, making it in a big league? No, that was too scary. 

3 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Does anyone have a good website for following all the major (european) football leagues?

I'm primarily interested in the PL, but it would be nice to have somewhere that devotes serious time and column inches to Spain, Italy, Germany (and France, I guess) as well. 

Goal.com is the only one that seems to get close that I've found, but I'm sure there's something better out there. Anyone?

Twitter - so you can follow and read the best journalists wherever they write.

50 minutes ago, mormont said:

Scott Brown is the poster boy for players who prefer being a big fish in a small pond at Celtic.

Coming out of a rough challenge is one thing, making it in a big league? No, that was too scary. 

Yeah, sorry I forgot that loyalty and dedication are traits to be frowned upon.

33 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, sorry I forgot that loyalty and dedication are traits to be frowned upon.

No,they're very admirable traits. Whether they explain Scott Brown's career trajectory is open to question. I think his behaviour and attitude is a classic example of the type of Scottish player who prefers to be the big man in Scotland playing for the Old Firm, rather than being dedicated to making the most of his talent. You might disagree. What's unquestionable is that Brown didn't make the most of his talent, and that's disappointing. 

6 hours ago, mormont said:

No,they're very admirable traits. Whether they explain Scott Brown's career trajectory is open to question. I think his behaviour and attitude is a classic example of the type of Scottish player who prefers to be the big man in Scotland playing for the Old Firm, rather than being dedicated to making the most of his talent. You might disagree. What's unquestionable is that Brown didn't make the most of his talent, and that's disappointing. 

I dunno, man. As much as I love the guy, I don't think he's top class. He'd easily hold down a starting place at a mid-level EPL club, but that's probably about it. So with all the medals he's won at Celtic, you could argue that he very much has made the most of his talent.

25 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

In a similar vein, Patrice Evra is oddly pleased to have his shins booted in:

That's fucking brutal. Judging by the location, the studs have gone through the shin-guards and then into Evra's flesh. Ouch!

12 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I dunno, man. As much as I love the guy, I don't think he's top class. He'd easily hold down a starting place at a mid-level EPL club, but that's probably about it. So with all the medals he's won at Celtic, you could argue that he very much has made the most of his talent.

I'd say not. Brown, when young, had enormous potential IMO, possibly more than any Scottish midfielder I've seen at that age. If Andrew Robertson or Charlie Adam were good enough to earn moves to Liverpool, I can see no substantial argument as to why Brown wasn't. But the point is, he never challenged himself to try. He's given every impression that he prefers being the big fish in a small pond and has no ambitions beyond that. Medals are nice, but being the best player you can be is better. 

Winter break for the EPL has been agreed in principle and is expected to come into effect from the 2019/2020 season. All FA Cup 5th round games will be moved to midweek with no replays. The break will be staggered with five league games taking place on one weekend and five on another. This ensures that every premier league side will have at least 13 days between fixtures. The break will be around early February before the resumption of European fixtures.

Archived