Football: CL is back

Mark Antony

We look okay-ish today, away to Burnley. 

However, that is in part because Burnley can’t finish for love nor money these days. They’ve had as many chances as we have, but haven’t found a way past Pickford, whereas Tosun finished really well past Pope.

In other news, Samuele is surprised about people speculating about his job. The man clearly has an unhealthy self image. 

#Samueleout!

20 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

In other news, Samuele is surprised about people speculating about his job. The man clearly has an unhealthy self image. 

The man drinks pints of wine, it’s probably to be expected that his connection to reality is a little tenuous.

This game’s surprisingly ok.

Good turnaround from Burnley. Have to say that Ashley Williams is pants. On that second goal he's busy barking orders at the rest of the defence, Wood comes off the line, Williams turns around and sees him but does fuck all to actually go and mark him and Wood gets a free run and header while Williams stands there marking no-one. 

Didn't Allardyce once say "I'm more suited to managing a Real Madrid or Inter Milan"? I think it was while he was managing Blackburn.

I wonder how much wine he needed to think that.

He also allegedly challenged the brilliant Marina Hyde - after making sexist comments - to ask him a question about anything sport-related and made a fool of himself in his answer to a cricket-related question.

Samuele certainly has delusions of grandeur. Thankfully (fingers crossed!), he now does himself no favours, both on and off the field. 

I was debating with myself during that second half: what to do with Samuele. You see, one part of me wants to see him sacked right now. He contributes very little apart from BS at the moment, and the team clearly has no plan for how to defend - or attack. So I would guess sacking him five minutes ago makes sense all around.

However, part of me wants to keep him until Everton is mathematically safe. Let him chew at the sidelines until it is certain that we’re not going down, and then, when the ref blows, tell him that he does as well, and that he can f*ck off.

I really can’t decide which is the better option.

As for Williams, he was bad last season, has been pants this entire season, and still, for some reason, Mason Holgate is on the bench while Williams is in the team. 

#Samueleout!

Meanwhile in the Bundesliga.

Mainz played horribly at Mordor, but they won the game 0-0 thus keeping the HSV at distance. Unlikely hero for Mainz. Müller. Their third goalkeeper had to play his debut match today as Adler was still not fit (flu) and Zentner suffered cut to his thigh and was also ruled out. He started with a couple of really neat saves, and topped of his performance by saving penalty kick. Sidenote this time the VAR correctly jumped in to rule a HSV goal offside (seems like they are not totally useless afterall).

The rumour mill concerning Heynckes successor at Bayern has a new name. Earlier this week Hasenhüttl (Leipzig) has ruled himself out, and now the latest name is Christian Streich (Freiburg). Streich is a sound guy and he has done a wonderful job at Freiburg (developing talents, and taking the club into the right direction generally), however I doubt he would fit into the Bayern enviroment (different set of players, different media pressure), and I also doubt that he is particularly interested in giving his position with a pretty high job satisfaction to jump into that shark tank in Munich. (I think it'll be either Tuchel or Löw at the end of the day who'll get the job at the end of the day).

And Schalke seems to lose its other central midfielder with Max Meyer as he has apparently turned down another contract offer from the club. I am mildly curious to see where he'll end up.

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Newcastle have been very disciplined, as you'd expect from one of Rafa's teams, but Liverpool haven't helped themselves so far, with slightly off passes and a slow pace. It picked up a bit after the goal so hopefully the second half is better. 

I'd like to see Lallana on for Can, to give us a little more guile. 

Can does look risky on the ball.  He can get caught in possession and give up a break-away.  

Ox did really well for the goal and created some other opportunities by driving forward as soon as he receives the ball. 

Lots of Firmino’s flicks aren’t quite coming off today, which causes our attack to break down.  I don’t know if he’s just a fraction off on a very cold day or if it’s because Newcastle are marking him so tightly.  Newcastle have done very well to close down our forwards quickly, and the ref is allowing some grappling and bumping too.

Dummet, Lascalles (aside from one missed header), Yedlin and Diame have all been good for Toon, and Gayle looks more lively than most games (probably likes his history against Liverpool). 

Okay. 

The timing’s not great (for Samuele, that is), and it’s an online poll - not sure how it affects it, but it probably does.

Be that as it may, Grand Old Team has a poll on Facebook: «Do you want Allardyce, Lee and Shakespeare at Everton next season?»

Currently 12 800 votes.

94% no. 

I’m worried about those six per cent yes. What is wrong with them?

#Allardiciout!

That’s fucking ridiculous.  Two blatant fouls on Salah not given.  One in the box and one inches outside of it that should’ve been a red card.  I’m tired of referees feeling they need to be charitable to our opponents.  And Yedlin should have seen two yellows for nasty late fouls on Robertson and Lallana. 

Still, comfortable win for Liverpool with lots of good play.  The second goal was the highlight but there was lots of very solid performances.  Trent showed great recovery at times when Murphy and Kenedy were a break-away risk.  Lovren and Virg were really solid.  The midfield was solid and kept possession well.  Karius was solid and made the one save he needed to. 

Archived