Mark Antony

Football: CL is back

184 posts in this topic

Game (and tie) over for Porto. Their only hope was to win by at least two goals at home because their away record is terrible.

Real v. PSG is a quality game.

Haha, I won't feel safe until we have at least 7. 

This is the best Firmino has played since the City game. He's been fantastic. 

Porto are so sloppy in their own half. Milner has been more than decent in midfield his last two starts. 

A bit fortunate for Mane (bad decision not to pass) but hopefully it will lift his confidence and let him return to playing instinctively.  And 11 goals, 6 assists by Mane in PL & CL is just slightly ahead of Martial and Eriksen, and well ahead of Alexis, Pogba, Alli, Son, Rashford, Lingard, Willian, Pedro, Ozil, and Lacazette.  Not bad for a player struggling for form and missing games earlier through suspension and then injury.

(He scored his second as I was typing).

Ronaldo really needs to stop taking free-kicks. He used to be lethal once upon a time but for a long while now his free-kicks have been downright awful.

Still 3 more goals required before we're safe from letting this leg lapse into a draw!

Time for subs I hope.  Get Firmino and Salah off and let Ings and Ox have a run.

Matip on for Henderson. Bit of a strange substitution, it can't be because Klopp's worried about shoring up the defence so it's presumably experimenting with a different formation they want to use.

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Ronaldo really needs to stop taking free-kicks. He used to be lethal once upon a time but for a long while now his free-kicks have been downright awful.

He wasn't ever even that deadly at his best. For every one that went in spectacularly he put about twenty into the wall or over the bar.

But yeah, now he's just pointless on them.

Wonderful night for Mane.  I really hope this is the moment he returns to form.

Well that wasn't a gift! Goal and a half to complete Mane's hat trick.

ETA: Madrid 3-1 up now. I haven't seen any of the game but I wasn't expecting that given how poor they've been.

Edited by ljkeane

That's a good result for us in Madrid, coz if Zidane gets sacked Mourinho isn't replacing him but if Emery does he might.

Especially since, even though Cavani wasn't having a great night, taking him off for a fullback was one of the turning points of the game, meaning Emery's just piled pressure on himself.

11 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Well that wasn't a gift! Goal and a half to complete Mane's hat trick.

ETA: Madrid 3-1 up now. I haven't seen any of the game but I wasn't expecting that given how poor they've been.

Bringing Asensio on with ten minutes to go won it. Despite the aforementioned bad sub by PSG it was even and PSG were exerting pressure but Asensio slaughtered them.

Yeah, Emery made a poor substitution whereas Zidane's subs turned the game back in Real's favour just when PSG looked the more likely to score. It was a quality game but there was too much diving going on.

Real Madrid, especially Cristiano, really loves these CL things I assume.

At least we can look forward to a very exciting 2nd leg between PSG and Real, as the formers will be in total beast mode. 

Emery's first sub was indeed a weird choice. But eh, he needed to try something, right ? I think Emery tried to enhance his right side by bringing Meunier as RB while keeping Alves as a fullback. Ultimately, it didn't work out at all, but his tactic was nowhere near stupid.

...I'd rather brought either Di Maria or Draxler in for Mbappé, though.

51 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

That's a good result for us in Madrid, coz if Zidane gets sacked Mourinho isn't replacing him but if Emery does he might.

Doubt it. Conte is more likely if Emery is sacked.