WW invasion happens whos your top two generals?

Stormking902

Ned Stark, definitely. The man may not be the greatest strategist/tactician, but he inspires the love of his people, and considering the North is the first realm in danger, he's a cinch.

Stannis would be the top commander numero dos, with Randyll Tarly as his second-in-command.

But let's be real: King Bob is gonna be leading the fight because he's King Bob.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:58 PM, Amris said:

I would choose Chezdhar zo Rhaezn and one of his brothers (the so-called 'Clanker-Lords') as my generals and their chained slave army as my troups.

The chained slave soldiers make for a nice Trojan horse: Once they get slain and raised by the WW they severely hamper any sort of organized troup movement by the wight army.

Imagine those long rows of chained ice-zombies ambling this way and that (and quite likely hopelessly entangling even their un-chained co-wights.)

ROFL

If this is pre GOT events and all the realm is united, then the picks should be:

1.Tywin Lannister - organization

2.Stannis Baratheon - defence strategy

if the picks are based on GOT events then u have :

1.Bronn - organization

2.Ramsay - defence strategy

Tywin is a politician at heart and fights humans (should the Others fear him? reputation is his being), Stannis is a good tactician but not a strategist. 

Let the professionals handle the task of fighting a prolongued movement war in cold weather:

- Lord Commander Mormont (it's his job)
- Mance Raydar (he does it to survive)

honorable mention: commanders with extended cold weather and leadership experience and useable as real field commanders under the strategic command: Stannis, Ned Stark, Howland Reed (for his ability to hold the Neck), and so on. There is no lack of good field commanders.  

1.Bronn - organization

2.Ramsay - defence strategy

show watcher eh ?

36 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

Let the professionals handle the task of fighting a prolongued movement war in cold weather:

my first pick was Mormont also but he did an awful job as a commander of Night Watch (poor management of man and resource) + man mutiny. u need to defend the Wall, castles against WW. Stannis already proved hes good at that. u need someone to inspire respect and fear, someone like BlackFish

Mance Rayder good as a leader but the Realm is united. So we already have a king, dozen of nobles and too much hate against free folks. He will never be picked as general of huge army + he proved he is not a good strategist.

On 15/02/2018 at 0:42 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Absolutely! Damn, why didn't I think of that! :whip:

The other obvious one is Jon, of course. 

Pre-GOT Jon? I would say nay on that one as he undergoes significant development through the first book aloneness which makes him more suited to command by Dance.

Stannis is a good choice, I think, as long as he includes suitable advisors on his council - like Archmaester Marlyn for example. No point being a brilliant strategist if you know nothing about your foes

20 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Pre-GOT Jon? I would say nay on that one as he undergoes significant development through the first book aloneness which makes him more suited to command by Dance.

Stannis is a good choice, I think, as long as he includes suitable advisors on his council - like Archmaester Marlyn for example. No point being a brilliant strategist if you know nothing about your foes

Agree. I was thinking ADwD Jon. I also never considered characters that are already dead, or I would definitely have added Ned too. :)

1 hour ago, Pacala said:

He will never be picked as general of huge army + he proved he is not a good strategist.

I do the picking here. That was the entire point of the question. Also I want to win the war, not have some spoiled Lady Sansa version of it where nobility has to win in order of their rank. 

On 2/18/2018 at 2:38 PM, SirArthur said:

Tywin is a politician at heart and fights humans (should the Others fear him? reputation is his being), Stannis is a good tactician but not a strategist. 

honorable mention: commanders with extended cold weather and leadership experience and useable as real field commanders under the strategic command: Stannis, Ned Stark, Howland Reed (for his ability to hold the Neck), and so on. There is no lack of good field commanders.  

show watcher eh ?

Great choices. I don't know why people are choosing Stannis and Tywin. Tywin is a conniving brute who's only solution is to send Gregor Clegane to wreak havoc. We see this in the War of Five Kings and we all know how he won the favor of Robert B. If he ever faces WW, he'd be smart enough to identify a threat he can't defeat. He'd probably cut a deal like Craster. 

As for Stannis, he's extremely gullible and WW would just confuse him to death. 

It's also not just the cold weather that's the problem. WW have superior armor and weapons. Plus, one WW is seemingly able to take out a human knight without much effort, as seen in the very first prologue. So having a general who knows WW and their way would be necessary to win. So far, no one seems to hold this knowledge. Jorah understands the threat so he'll be quite well suited. Not sure if Mance knows about WW more than the rest of the crows. 

I'd go with Quaithe, the mage from Asshai because she seems to know what's going on. Or maybe she could be intel or something. 

Didn't the First Men team up with children of the forest to defeat the WW? So I guess I'd choose one of the children for the other general. Then I'd get Dany as the field marshal because, dragons, and bird's eye view of the battlefield. 

Against the Others?

To beat the White Walkers, you need people who would understand them.

Of the Westerosi lords, only someone like Ned Stark I could maybe see working if he had a proper brief on what is going on. He was clearly a skilled commander during Bobby B's rebellion and it was a gift he passed down to his son Robb, though if I had to pick between father and son -- I'd go with father. Given Ned is dead, then we need to look for the unconventional leaders. Mance Rayder would be a good field commander as he managed to rally many, many different freefolk tribes. I would also say Jon Snow is a good choice as he has good instincts, understands the importance of the task and priorities life. Still, my concern for both men is that they wouldn't make the really hard decisions that need to be made...

Tactician wise, if we could somehow get Brynden Rivers to direct battles from his tree-prison I bet he'd do a good job since he has all that knowledge from weirwood.net. Plus, I'm willing to be he's dealt with them before.

I tell you who I wouldn't pick; people like Tywin Lannister or Randyll Tarly. I wouldn't trust them with this task because they're far too set in their ways as commanders of human armies. They would treat the Others like any other human army and would promptly get most of their men killed. Even Stannis Baratheon, I worry he might be doing it for the wrong reasons - though I admit he would be more willing to listen to ways the Others are different and is the best choice of the seasoned commanders, especially the few still alive

I see a lot of people choosing Tywin and I get where you're coming from. He won the War of the Five Kings, right? Well, he did (kind of, it's debatable, I know...) but he did so politically, not on the battlefield. In fact, he lost every battle against Robb. So he's a politician. Might be useful if it came to negotiations, but I highly doubt that.

The other choice made by many others here is Stannis and I think he's the best choice altogether. He's an abysmal politician but that's not what we need in a WW invasion case. We need a brilliant battlefield commander and strategist and most of all someone who does everything necessary and everything possible to win. I don't know why some people here say he's not a good strategist. He managed to plan and execute a massive attack on KL, which was on land and sea simultaneously and he would have won if it weren't for Tyrions defence measures, which were unpredictable. Stannis just set his faith in the wrong admiral. Additionally, he gathers support of all Northern houses he can get support of before marching on Winterfell, not just running blindly into battle.

Anyways, my second choice would be someone who on one hand knows the North, but is also good with people, since Stannis isn't. The obvious choice would be Ned Stark, but Stannis doesn't like him since Ned was always favored by Robert as a brother. So this is a hard choice... Pre-AGOT would mean Robb and Jon are out of the question, since they're too young still and haven't made the experiences, that changed them, yet. Wyman Manderly would be another choice, since he seems jovial and knows the North, additionally he follows the Seven, so he could prove as a link between Northerners and Southerners. His weakness is his mobility though, in the sense that he doesn't have any. He had to send his sons to represent him on the battlefield because he was too fat.

Guess I'll have to settle for Ned, since there's no better option that comes to mind. Roose Bolton is in the back of my head but I'm not sure he can be trusted. He would probably turn out to twist things to his favor and I can't say he was actually liked, not even pre-AGOT. So I just have to rely on Stannis to make his peace with Ned, considering the lives of all the people in the realm depend on it.

Ned Stark and Stannis Baratheon it is

6 hours ago, Barri_The_Bold said:

I see a lot of people choosing Tywin and I get where you're coming from. He won the War of the Five Kings, right? Well, he did (kind of, it's debatable, I know...) but he did so politically, not on the battlefield.

Politics, as well as logistics, are integral to many War commanders. As is delegating the right people for the job and clearly communicating your orders. 

In fact, he lost every battle against Robb.

No, that is not correct at all. Tywin and Robb had never faced each other in the field.  Now if you are talking about Generals then both has won and lost to the other. 

So he's a politician.

He's both. It is not an either/or situation.  Stannis is also both a politician and general. 

Tywin has experienced more war than any other of the logical contenders in this discussion, only Robert has a superior record. 

Might be useful if it came to negotiations, but I highly doubt that.

He'd be incredibly useful at logistics, assessing enemies weakness', delegating and knowing when to hold back. 

You seem to be overlooking much of what a Military general does. 

The other choice made by many others here is Stannis and I think he's the best choice altogether. He's an abysmal politician but that's not what we need in a WW invasion case.

Actually it is. Getting all the other armies to agree to follow you and your mandate is an important part of the job. Keeping morale high is an important part of the job. Properly delegating is an important part of the job.  Not underestimating the enemy terrain is an important part of the job. Failing to understand that marching with the wrong gear in the North is an important part of the job.

Stannis is a poor choice because he haemorrhaged support. While a small minority remain incredibly passionately loyal he loses support from many others. He is someone who needs a Robert or even a Renly to be above him. 

We need a brilliant battlefield commander and strategist and most of all someone who does everything necessary and everything possible to win. I don't know why some people here say he's not a good strategist.

Because he is not. The march on Kings Landing left him exposed, the Tyrells could have actually took him from the rear while he marched on the Walls. His idea to march on the Dreadfort was equally a poor idea, one that had to be pointed out by a teenage boy. 

His ace up his sleeve is that he has a magical deus ex machina that allows him to assassinate from a distance. 

He managed to plan and execute a massive attack on KL,

And lost. This does not count as a win, he lost the majority of his army because he rushed into battle. 

Stannis just set his faith in the wrong admiral.

So he delegated poorly. Not something you want from the man leading Westeros against an undead army. 

Additionally, he gathers support of all Northern houses he can get support of before marching on Winterfell, not just running blindly into battle.

No, he does not. Many join him on the March. 

10 hours ago, Faera said:

Against the Others?

To beat the White Walkers, you need people who would understand them.

Of the Westerosi lords, only someone like Ned Stark I could maybe see working if he had a proper brief on what is going on. He was clearly a skilled commander during Bobby B's rebellion and it was a gift he passed down to his son Robb, though if I had to pick between father and son -- I'd go with father. Given Ned is dead, then we need to look for the unconventional leaders. Mance Rayder would be a good field commander as he managed to rally many, many different freefolk tribes. I would also say Jon Snow is a good choice as he has good instincts, understands the importance of the task and priorities life. Still, my concern for both men is that they wouldn't make the really hard decisions that need to be made...

Tactician wise, if we could somehow get Brynden Rivers to direct battles from his tree-prison I bet he'd do a good job since he has all that knowledge from weirwood.net. Plus, I'm willing to be he's dealt with them before.

I tell you who I wouldn't pick; people like Tywin Lannister or Randyll Tarly. I wouldn't trust them with this task because they're far too set in their ways as commanders of human armies. They would treat the Others like any other human army and would promptly get most of their men killed. Even Stannis Baratheon, I worry he might be doing it for the wrong reasons - though I admit he would be more willing to listen to ways the Others are different and is the best choice of the seasoned commanders, especially the few still alive

It doesnt take a genius to realise your weapons have no effect against WW and that you cant fight the enemy the same as a normal army, one battle Tywin and Randyll would know these things...

1) The wights feel no pain and cannot be killed by normal means only completely destroying there body can slow them down to make a difference in battle AND they learn fire kills them because during a huge battle where literally thousands of men and there numerous weapons like for instance launching huge fire balls at oppenents and arrows on fire. 

2) WW cannot be hurt by normal means and fire can possibly kill them but still yet to be confirmed. 

After they retreat a more practical plan of retreat below the neck and prey would come into effect lol. 

Archived