Sun Worshipper

Pet-Peeves in Novels?

57 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

I've heard of that stuff, apparently a few people have tried it. What does it taste like?

I don't think it is meant to be eaten. Smoked maybe.

1 hour ago, Forest Lass said:

I agree though, romantic scenes must be difficult to write. Most are cringey to me. The first love scene I remember reading had this: "He crawled atop her slowly, like a hungry tiger on the prowl" 

They're not *that* difficult, IMO.

• Sex scenes fall under the same golden rule as fight scenes - no-one's interested in the blow-by-blow (ha!) mechanics, it's what's going on in the characters' heads that matters.
  • Most similes ("like a fat pink mast") or metaphors ("Myrish Swamp") look really silly in a sexual context, and ought to be avoided.
  • As with real sex, foreplay matters.  

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I think a lot of these go beyond pet peeves.

Yeah, true.

Mine is a genuine pet peeve. I really hate unnecessary sequels. They spoil the original work. That's probably irrational thinking but I really hate them. If it's a standalone and was meant to be and there's not an opening for a sequel, then leave it be.

This is mainly in TV tbh, but I've seen it in books as well.

Strangling someone, and as soon as they lose conciousness, thats it, they are dead. It doesnt work like that. Strangling someone is a brutal and long process.

Similar with people being knocked out for absolutely ages and waking up and not being irrevesably brain damaged.

Info dump writers. Some are great in spite of this but most seem to be writing just to occupy shelf space or to hide their basic lack of interesting ideas, characters or plots. 

4 hours ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

This is mainly in TV tbh, but I've seen it in books as well.

Strangling someone, and as soon as they lose conciousness, thats it, they are dead. It doesnt work like that. Strangling someone is a brutal and long process.

Similar with people being knocked out for absolutely ages and waking up and not being irrevesably brain damaged.

Also in TV: people making loud slurping noises whenever they take a drink of something. On HBO is doesn't matter what is being drunk. Whether it's a glass of water being sipped, or a shot of scotch being thrown back, the morons at HBO always insist their foley artists chuck in a loud slurp. I mean, who the fuck makes slurping noises IRL apart from untamed children? 

Edited by Spockydog

4 hours ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

In TV/movies I dislike how inconsistently this is handled. Depending on the plot, people get beaten up rather badly and in the next scene, a day or only a few hours later, they have a few scratches or bruised spots and are otherwise fully functional.

And in other scenes, someone is pushed, hits their head and is dead. Of course this is possible but I think it is very rare to fall from a standing position agains some desk and hit the head so badly that one dies from the injuries.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, Jo498 said:

And in other scenes, someone is pushed, hits their head and is dead. Of course this is possible but I think it is very rare to fall from a standing position agains some desk and hit the head so badly that one dies from the injuries.

I don't know how common it is but a guy in my town was breaking up a fight, got knocked over and hit his head on the curb - dead on impact, so it does happen.

3 hours ago, Vaughn said:

I don't know how common it is but a guy in my town was breaking up a fight, got knocked over and hit his head on the curb - dead on impact, so it does happen.

It's actually super super more common in real life. Good knock to the head from the back and bang, you dead.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:59 AM, Jo498 said:

I was personally acquainted with a man who apparently died by tripping and hitting his head on his own desk, so that one is more common than you might think.

-Randomly inserted rape scenes.

-Modern politics/values popping up where they don't belong.

-Hundreds of pages of filler.

-Characters who do not really feel the effects of the physical/mental trauma they suffer.

o.k. the unlucky falls might be common, but this still leaves the inconsistency that other characters are badly hit on the head and are fine after a few hours or a good night's sleep, not even a concussion, if the plot demands it.

5 minutes ago, Jo498 said:

o.k. the unlucky falls might be common, but this still leaves the inconsistency that other characters are badly hit on the head and are fine after a few hours or a good night's sleep, not even a concussion, if the plot demands it.

It is indeed very annoying when a book requires that a character be knocked unconscious (for plot reasons), but then revives them without any consequences.  Almost always just lazy writing. 

Its worse in movie/TV writing, but I hate dream sequences... no one ever dreams the way the do in fiction

Also... and this is more a movie /TV thing too... but I hope that anyone who ever wrote a script/novel where someone in peril finds car keys in a sun visor steps on a lego at 2AM