I'm back - Give me some theories and faves!

ellisg

Hello everyone, I hope to find all my fellow ASOIAF fans are feeling great. I've been away a while! I joined this forum in 2012 and for a good few months I spent so many hours every day on here. Then around 2013, I dunno, I think I just ran out of topics and theories to talk about, shockingly enough! I also think that finally a bunch of my real life friends started reading/watching the show around season 3, whereas for 2 years prior I could only chat to you beautiful people on this site about one the greatest fictional creations of all time!

But I'm back and just thought I'd start a topic and I wanna hear some great theories as well as who your favourite characters are and why. If you're a fan of the show as well as the books, tell me what you like, what you dislike (Dorne, the lack of a certain Victarion Greyjoy)! It doesn't matter what the subject is - talk to me about the books, the show, characters, theories, potential release dates of TWOW! 

Thanks for reading, it's good to be back!

My favourite is Jaime but I also love Arya, Bran, Jon, Sansa, Brienne, Davos, Sam, Stannis. And I can't stand Victarion, the Damphair, Tywin and Randyll Tarly. 

And here's a great place to find theories:

Alysanne had a bastard child possibly by Bael, possibly by a Stark, name Gael the Winter Child born at Queen's Crown (birthing imagery). 13th child born to Alysanne no earlier than 62ac. 30 years before the succession crisis of 92ac and the war of Bael the Bard with his son. With Jaehaerys and Alysanne fighting at the wall with dragons. :) 

3 hours ago, ellisg said:

Wow okay - Thank you for the heads up. So ignoring the Show, who's your favourite character from the books and why? Also any theories that are particular favourites of yours?

Daenerys is my favorite character.  She is everything that I love about a character: smart, noble, beautiful, witty, brave, compassionate, fierce.  She's a superhero with dragon riding abilities.

I love a lot of theories.  Craster is a Stark.  Daenerys is Azor Ahai.  The dusky woman will betray Victarion.  Benero and his red priests will support Daenerys.  Hizdahr zo Loraq is the harpy. 

19 hours ago, ellisg said:

Wow okay - Thank you for the heads up. So ignoring the Show, who's your favourite character from the books and why? Also any theories that are particular favourites of yours?

Stannis and Jaime are my two favorite characters.  I love the Nightlamp theory on how Stannis will win the battle against the Frey's and eventually take Winterfell, and while I don't ascribe to it the Jaime is AAR and will grow a fire hand theory is a lot of fun to read.

Theories:

1. Young Griff is a Blackfyre. He is son of Barristan Selmy and Lady Jeyne Swann. Lady Jeyne is Septa Lemore. Barristan's mother is Shiera Seastar, and currently she is using name Quaithe. Varys is grandson of Calla Blackfyre and Aegor Bittersteel Rivers, founder of Golden Company. Serra from Lys, second wife of Illyrio, was Varys' little sister. Thus Young Griff / fAegon, Varys, Quaithe, Barristan, and Daenerys Targaryen are relatives.
  2. Dany's son Rhaego is alive. After he was born, he was kidnapped by Dothraki (probably by Khal Pono), and this is first out of three treasons, predicted to Dany by the Undying - the one for blood. When Dany was giving birth to Rhaego, Quaithe was also there, and she helped Dany to deliver the baby. Quaithe appeared there by using glass candle. Aside from Quaithe, Mirri Maz Duur also summoned there maester Marwyn, one of Red Priests (probably Moqorro), and Rodrik Stark the Wandering Wolf.
  3. Ashara Dayne is alive. After events at Tower of Joy, she went with Howland Reed to The Neck, and became Howland's wife Jyana Reed. They have three children - Meera and Jojen Reed, and Edric Ned Dayne.
  4. The Dawn sword of Daynes is a Lightbringer sword of the Prince that was promised. And maybe Eddard Stark never brought it to the Starfall, because when Arthur Dayne died, his sister Ashara was also at the Tower of Joy. Thus could be that now that sword is hidden in crypts under Winterfell, where Lyanna is buried.
  5. Daenerys Targaryen, her son Rhaego, and Jon Snow are three heads of the dragon from the prophecy. Rhaego is going to be Rhaegel's dragonrider, and Jon's dragon will be Viseryon.
  6. Little Finger was one of Varys' little birds, but then decided to go independent and work only for himself.
  7. Blackfyres have spies all over Westeros, among their people are: Balon Swann, Gerold Dayne, Bronn, Salladhor Saan, Jalabhar Xho, Aurane Waters, Selwyn Tarth; their ex-people - Doreah (one of Dany's three handmaids), Shae (Tyrion's lover), Mandon Moore (one of Kingsguards in King's Landing), Chiggen (sellsword and Bronn's friend). 

Favorite Theories?

1. I am a huge proponent of any theory that involves Doran Martell, as most will agree that his actions are really strange and suggest something deeper going on. We see him through the eyes of Hotah, who is basically a slave in all but name, and never questions anything. Arianne is basically broken while imprisoned, at it takes a sick SOB to do that to your own daughter. Also, why send your fugly son with only five protectors across the world to marry someone that you know nothing about, to support the restoration of House Targaryen, who Prince Doran should hate (Aerys held Elia and her children ransom, the Targaryens took away the Dornish freedom). Arianne and Quentyn are such interesting POVs because their so clueless- their father sends them on suicide missions and they both seem deathly afraid of him. Doran Nymeros Martell, people. What he actually wants, I have no idea.

2. I love the Aegon Blackfyre theories too. Really interesting.

3. My absolute favorite theory though? (Thanks Preston Jacobs) There are no prophecies at all- who the Prince that Was Promised is doesn't matter, and he doesn't exist. The prophecies are all fabricated by someone for nefarious purposes (maesters, Andals, Valyrians, Hightowers, the Dornish, the Children of the Forest, take your pick). Fits well with the story, and I hate the idea of ASOIAF having a "Chosen One". Alternatively, I love the Lucifer Means Lightbringer Theory- Essentially, the Prince that Was Promised and Azor Ahai are evil figures- brought on by the Church of Starry Wisdom or somebody else to destroy the world with a massive Nissa Nissa sacrifice. 

Favorite Characters?

This one's hard. 

1. Catelyn Stark just appeals to me for some reason. She's not a particularly good mother (she never once thinks about missing her children while she's away at war) or a particularly good person, but for some reason I love her. I love how there was one arranged marriage that actually worked out.

2. Daenerys Targaryen is really interesting to me because of her potential to become an antagonist. I love how the "Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions" motif is played out with Dany.

3. Stannis is another favorite, and really for the same reasons as Dany. He sort of has the same arc- realizing that in order to win his kingdom he has to support them. 

4. Maester Aemon is awesome, too. The speech he gives to Jon in AGOT revealing his identity is literally the best thing in the whole series. 

5. Roose and Ramsay are two more favorites of mine, because never have I ever seen a villain that I've hated more than Ramsay Snow. I love Roose too because of his one fascinating character trait- efficiency. 

Archived