No winds until 2019

Dorian Martell's son

1 hour ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Again it looks to be  yet another year with winds denied.

If you don't hear otherwise, if there isn't an announcement before July then it's not happening this year. All told, it would take about five months to get the book from manuscript to printing, if the publisher pulled out all of the stops. They likely would for such a major release that is certain to sell well. We'd have definitely heard if Martin had submitted, since he'd post it on his blog, or the publishers would announce it, since they need to generate buzz.

1 hour ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Warning, don't read the comments of that article. There's some blasphemy there about a certain show being better than the books. 

Better or no matters not. It has already given us the major reveal.  Now it looks like the show will finish before the next book is even published. Remember when he canceled the rest of his con appearances to push to get winds out before season 6? 

19 minutes ago, Yukle said:

If you don't hear otherwise, if there isn't an announcement before July then it's not happening this year. All told, it would take about five months to get the book from manuscript to printing, if the publisher pulled out all of the stops. They likely would for such a major release that is certain to sell well. We'd have definitely heard if Martin had submitted, since he'd post it on his blog, or the publishers would announce it, since they need to generate buzz.

He had previously said either winds or fire and blood will be possible in 2018. Now we know what he has been focusing on 

2019 is optimistic.  I've suspected for some time that he has stopped writing TWOW and wants the show to finish before he resumes.  This is because GRRM revels in the shocks and surprises and the show has taken that away from him.  So now he needs to come up with an alternative ending to what he originally had and he needs to see what the show exactly reveals before changing the story.

The other material also makes sense.  With HBO potentially running AGOT spin offs.  GRRM doesn't want TV shows to reveal even more lore before he does so that will be his priority now.

Basically give up on ASOIAF.  It's never being finished.  I think we've all known that for a long time.

11 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

He had previously said either winds or fire and blood will be possible in 2018. Now we know what he has been focusing on 

Probably working on both; most of Fire and Blood was already written. GRRM sometimes acts as his own editor for the first reading, which makes the process longer on his end but shorter on the publisher's end. As far as I know, there wouldn't be much new content. He said on his blog that F&B is the first of two parts, with the first mostly being material already written for World of Ice and Fire while the second isn't written yet. Reading between the lines, I am guessing it hasn't been written because he is working on Winds of Winter.

13 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Better or no matters not. It has already given us the major reveal.  Now it looks like the show will finish before the next book is even published. Remember when he canceled the rest of his con appearances to push to get winds out before season 6

Or when he said that he was not working on anything but TWOW and then less than a year later it turns out he spent a couple of months editing a Wildcards novel.

GRRM says a lot of things I am sure he means at the time.  But history tells the story that GRRM is prone to change his mind often.

2 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Again it looks to be  yet another year with winds denied.  https://io9.gizmodo.com/there-s-a-new-song-of-ice-and-fire-book-coming-in-2018-1823030930

I didn't read the article.

16 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Better or no matters not. It has already given us the major reveal.  Now it looks like the show will finish before the next book is even published. Remember when he canceled the rest of his con appearances to push to get winds out before season 6? 

Yes, I remember. Ii has been revealed that Mr. Martin has been a verra busy man. Very busy ---- meetings, meetings, meetings.

I doubt that this thread will be around long. Personally, I'm leaning toward a 2020 release of WoW. Hell, I have adjusted my prediction annually. Although the thing that is not supposed to mentioned in the book forum isn't gonna deliver an ending until 2019 --- I will have an ending.

Edit: My life is not as complicated as Martin's. I would think that a writer needs uninterrupted quite time in order to let the creative juices flow.

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

Basically give up on ASOIAF.  It's never being finished.  I think we've all known that for a long time.

I'm not an author, but I do read a lot of their views. I think published authors have a connection to their works that we wouldn't quite understand. They can see their works as an extension of themselves. They're like any artist, they do care about their works - certainly more than we do. To assume the series isn't being written out of apathy would kind of assume GRRM doesn't like his own works. That's highly implausible, to the point of ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

2019 is optimistic.  I've suspected for some time that he has stopped writing TWOW and wants the show to finish before he resumes.  This is because GRRM revels in the shocks and surprises and the show has taken that away from him.  So now he needs to come up with an alternative ending to what he originally had and he needs to see what the show exactly reveals before changing the story.

The other material also makes sense.  With HBO potentially running AGOT spin offs.  GRRM doesn't want TV shows to reveal even more lore before he does so that will be his priority now.

I agree w/all of this, but he will look like a jerk if he changes the ending from the ending he gave HBO and told them and the world it would be the same and he wouldn't change anything because of the show.

LOL, but as others have observed GRRM says a lot of things that have a way of not happening.

2019 for Fire & Blood, anyone's guess for Winds, and Spring will always only be a dream.

2 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Or when he said that he was not working on anything but TWOW and then less than a year later it turns out he spent a couple of months editing a Wildcards novel.

He stated explicitly that he was still acting as an editor on Wildcards. That's one of his many contractual commitments. Missing a deadline for one project hardly justifies also abandoning commitments to another.

I can also empathise with his decision to steadfastly refuse to drop such a commitment. To miss a deadline for aSoIaF means affecting himself and his fan-base. To miss one for Wildcards is shafting many authors and their fan-bases. And while he'd probably never admit this, as it's kind of conceited, the series relies on having a well-known editor to back it for part of its exposure and success.

I enjoy reading the remarks of people who feel the need to rush to tell everyone how much they don't care about Winds every time GRRM bothers to squeak out the most minuscule morsel of Winds info. And their strange desire to recruit more to their cause.

10 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Meh. Lost interest in the books anyway. Will not be wasting my money on Fire & Blood and unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be getting more Dunk and Egg any time soon either.

I haven't lost interest. A few years back (WoIaF) I decided I would not purchase any of Martin's works until WoW is published. Meh, ain't gonna hurt him none. I use the library, check out the anthologies that his various short stories are in.

Yeah, no Dunk & Egg. Those short stories would reveal to much like F& B vol 2.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

Nope, Winds will be published 3 months after the manuscript is handed over. Iirc, it was the same w/ Dance. If you don't believe me, ask @Werthead

Also, it seems a lot of people don't really know what "prioritise" means. :dunno:

Archived