No winds until 2019

Dorian Martell's son

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Nope, Winds will be published 3 months after the manuscript is handed over. Iirc, it was the same w/ Dance. If you don't believe me, ask @Werthead

Wow, three months?! That's one hell of a turnaround... including printing, typesetting and proofing?

I remember that conversation he held with Stephen King, at that point when they discussed how was their writing output on a regular basis. King said he, on a normal day, would have 6 pages ready just a step from publish material, which is impressive. Martin said that he usually got stuck and couldn't go on for a month. I read several King's books, some I enjoyed, some not, but I wish George could have a slice of King's work method. He just sounds too disperse.

I still have faith that he has the two last books figured out, as in a board with plots and subplots drawn and that he'll publish the two and then just get on into growing what he apparently wants to do: small asoiaf stories. Alas, faith gets dimmer every year.

1 minute ago, Yukle said:

Wow, three months?! That's one hell of a turnaround... including printing, typesetting and proofing?

Yup. I do remember w/ Dance it was very close to 3 mo. I can't remember the months exactly, but it was something like, he announced "Kong is dead" sometime in late March/early April, and Dance was out in July... 

6 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Nope, Winds will be published 3 months after the manuscript is handed over. Iirc, it was the same w/ Dance. If you don't believe me, ask @Werthead

Also, it seems a lot of people don't really know what "prioritise" means. :dunno:

At this point, what will the rush be?  Why have everyone break their necks to do it in 3 months instead of 5 or 6?  The show will have finished the story and at least made public the end that GRRM gave them.  In all probability, we are talking 2020 or later for Winds.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

At this point, what will the rush be?  Why have everyone break their necks to do it in 3 months instead of 5 or 6?  The show will have finished the story and at least made public the end that GRRM gave them.  In all probability, we are talking 2020 or later for Winds.

Not disputing that, I was just saying it's 3 mo from Martin delivering the manuscript to the book being out. :)

Shall I add a bit of context. What did Martin type in July 2017---

https://grrm.livejournal.com/544709.html

Speaking of fake history... regulars here may recall our plan to assemble an entire book of my fake histories of the Targaryen kings, a volume we called (in jest) the GRRMarillion or (more seriously) FIRE AND BLOOD. We have so much material that it's been decided to publish the book in two volumes. The first of those will cover the history of Westeros from Aegon's Conquest up to and through the regency of the boy king Aegon III (the Dragonbane). That one is largely written, and will include (for the first time) a complete detailed history of the Targaryen civil war, the Dance of the Dragons. My stories in DANGEROUS WOMEN ("The Princess and the Queen") and ROGUES ("The Rogue Prince") were abridged versions of the same histories.

No publication date has been set yet, but it's likely that we will get the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD out in late 2018 or early 2019. The second volume, which will carry the history from Aegon III up to Robert's Rebellion, is largely unwritten, so that one will be a few more years in coming.

And, yes, I know you all want to know about THE WINDS OF WINTER too. I've seen some truly weird reports about WOW on the internet of late, by 'journalists' who make their stories up out of whole cloth. I don't know which story is more absurd, the one that says the book is finished and I've been sitting on it for some nefarious reason, or the one that says I have no pages. Both 'reports' are equally false and equally moronic. I am still working on it, I am still months away (how many? good question), I still have good days and bad days, and that's all I care to say. Whether WINDS or the first volume of FIRE AND BLOOD will be the first to hit the bookstores is hard to say at this juncture, but I do think you will have a Westeros book from me in 2018... and who knows, maybe two. A boy can dream...

Meanwhile, you'll have Gardner's anthology to fill the time. Keep your swords sharp!

What is the context you want us to notice?  That he said Fire and Blood was 'largely written' almost a year ago, and still it only 'might' be out late this year or early in 2019?  That he once thought it was possible that Winds and Fire and Blood would both come out this year, and that he has pushed back, not the ancillary title, but the book of the main story?  Or what am I missing?

I think it's in George's best interest to have TWOW come out after the show ends - get all the current book fans riled up to fever pitch with desire for Winds and also attract new readers who no longer have the show to watch.

While I would obviously like a copy of TWOW right now, I'm happy that we get more history stuff - I enjoy the series so much more, the further down the rabbit hole I get. 

36 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Yeah, it was that quick. And it shows. I mean, Ran & Linda were helping with the editing (and George's actual editors knew the stuff, too) but we still got Lancel as Cersei's nephew and the resurrection of Septon Chayle and him being replacing Cellador.

Sometimes a little bit more time is a little bit more time.

As to the first volume of 'Fire and Blood' - I've got a pretty good feeling that we'll see this book this year. Just a feeling. Take it or leave it.

35 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

They would alter their release schedule according to seasonal surges in shopping activity. If Christmas is six months away, then they'd aim for a six-month output. If it's only the start of the year, they can take their time. If it's three months away, they'd rush as much as possible to hit the peak.

19 minutes ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

I think it's in George's best interest to have TWOW come out after the show ends - get all the current book fans riled up to fever pitch with desire for Winds and also attract new readers who no longer have the show to watch.

While I would obviously like a copy of TWOW right now, I'm happy that we get more history stuff - I enjoy the series so much more, the further down the rabbit hole I get. 

Yeah, same here.

And as to Winds being published after the abomination is over and done w/, I am not only totally ok w/ that (even w/ it meaning I'll have to wait a bit more), but I sure as hell hope so. 

28 minutes ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

At this point, after the major reveals have already been show, I agree 

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, same here.

And as to Winds being published after the abomination is over and done w/, I am not only totally ok w/ that (even w/ it meaning I'll have to wait a bit more), but I sure as hell hope so. 

Do you think TWOW will be released during winter time? I assume it would be more successful with a close to Christmas release.

I'll happily take a summer release, but would kinda prefer it to be dark and snowy outside.

It might not matter.  Even if it were released in the summer [which won't happen, IMO], they could still do a big marketing push during the shopping season to capitalize on the massive show audience and the last holiday season before the show ends.

However, I don't see Fire & Blood as having the same huge audience as there might have been for Winds of Winter if it came out before the show ended.  

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It might not matter.  Even if it were released in the summer [which won't happen, IMO], they could still do a big marketing push during the shopping season to capitalize on the massive show audience and the last holiday season before the show ends.

However, I don't see Fire & Blood as having the same huge audience as there might have been for Winds of Winter if it came out before the show ended.  

How about if GRRM announces the TWOW release date by making a TV ad and showing it during the final episode of the show? 

1 minute ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

How about if GRRM announces the TWOW release date by making a TV ad and showing it during the final episode of the show? 

Wouldn't sell well. Book fans don't watch the show.

Lulz! I am so funny.

Archived