U.S. Politics: Gunnin' From The Long Arm of the Law

Sivin

New charges filed under seal against Manafort and Gates. Not much more details so far.

New charges have been filed in Special Counsel Robert Mueller's criminal case against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and aide Rick Gates, but the charges were put under seal by the court, obscuring the nature and import of the development.

The new charging document filed in federal court in Washington could be a superseding indictment, adding new charges or even new defendants to the charges filed last October, accusing Manafort and Gates of money laundering and failing to register as foreign agents for their work related to Ukraine, among other crimes.

Last week, prosecutors told the courtthey'd received new evidence that Manafort took part in "a series of bank frauds and bank fraud conspiracies" in connection with a loan he sought in 2016. Mueller's team said Manafort obtained the loan using “doctored profit and loss statements” that overstated "by millions of dollars" the income of his consulting business.

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Lamb does seem like a pretty centrist Democrat.  And I am 100% on board with that.  I'm not a centrist myself, but I think that Democrats looking for true blue liberals to run in places like SW Pennsylvania are setting themselves up for failure. 

Bingo.We're not ready for that in these here parts. 

At this juncture I'm voting for him regardless, but I'd really like to know what his views are on gun regulation. 

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Can we stop with the anti-Canadian dog-whistles, please?

You go back to yer home now, y'hear?

Ain't no place for no damn Frenchies!

Got plenty o syrup down here, not so liberal with our application...

Just now, Pony Queen Jace said:

You go back to yer home now, y'hear?

Ain't no place for no damn Frenchies!

Got plenty o syrup down here, not so liberal with our application...

Ha-ha, joke’s on you. We are not really Canadian, just California actors paid by Soros to pretend to be Canadian. And you bought it! 

Edit: eh!

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

At this juncture I'm voting for him regardless, but I'd really like to know what his views are on gun regulation. 

Well according to this article he is moderate on guns as well.  He made this statement:

“No parent should ever drop their child off at school and be afraid they won’t be alive at the end of the day,” the late-afternoon statement said. “My heart breaks for those families in Florida and, in Congress, I will work to make sure that people with serious mental illnesses do not have access to guns."

But he has also made previous statements that he is generally pro-second amendment and one of his campaign ads featured him holding a rifle.  So if you're really hoping him to make a push on guns, you're probably going to be disappointed.  But unlike say, Trump, I believe him when he says he wants to have reasonable regulations to keep guns away from those with mental illness. 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Well according to this article he is moderate on guns as well.  He made this statement:

But he has also made previous statements that he is generally pro-second amendment and one of his campaign ads featured him holding a rifle.  So if you're really hoping him to make a push on guns, you're probably going to be disappointed.  But unlike say, Trump, I believe him when he says he wants to have reasonable regulations to keep guns away from those with mental illness. 

Okay, good. I missed that. :)  That's a place to start. 

If you say you're not pro-gun around here you won't get elected, period. It's perfectly normal for people here to actively shoot their rifles. You have to understand that this is just northern Appalachia. There are some very, very poor people here. If they didn't hunt for food, they would starve. The first day of hunting season is a de facto holiday--and people live off of what they take for an entire year. Most hunters here won't use an AR 15 for hunting. 

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018/02/06/ar-15-s-legal-hunting-pa-but-some-hunters-dont-want-them/1036386001/

And yet, I'm seeing a shift in thinking here. Even some Republicans are not against gun control and regulation. 

12 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Ha-ha, joke’s on you. We are not really Canadian, just California actors paid by Soros to pretend to be Canadian. And you bought it! 

A real Canadian wouldn't have had to edit to add "eh"! :D

But I don't get the joke?

54 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

The dead giveaways were when you washed the syrup off of your hands, fumbled a hockey stick and lack of an over the top polite personality.

Fraud!

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I can't wait to see these kids get their hands on Florida republicans tonight.

It helps that Marco Rubio has the perpetually guilty look of a compulsive masturbator. 

It does seem like this group of kids is not havin' it with the typical platitudes.  Will be interesting for sure.  

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The dead giveaways were when you washed the syrup off of your hands, fumbled a hockey stick and lack of an over the top polite personality.

Fraud!

Fumble is a Football term, eh! In Hockey it's an Icey.

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

It's telling that the President just made an official statement (twitter) that his predecessor should be investigated for failing to stop his election and no one blinked.

Trump has done nothing but take credit for any success and blame Obama for any failures.  This newest tweet is par for the course, though he should be wary of the precedent he's setting.  

8 hours ago, SkynJay said:

There are already accusations from an underage girl though she ultimately didnt press charges. 

Yes. :(

When she was due to face court, she was apparently too scared. She gave the pseudonym "Jane Doe" and wanted to only do the trial through her lawyer. When it came to requiring her to turn up, she dropped charges.

The accusations assert that she was 13 at the time of a sexual encounter.

Archived