U.S. Politics: Gunnin' From The Long Arm of the Law

Sivin

15 hours ago, Yukle said:

The other ten months they just send thoughts and prayers.

You win one internet!

About that peepee tape, or any other tape that might have Trump on visual or audio.  None of it matters because of 'deep fakes'.  So even if a genuine Trump peepee tape could be found and shown everywhere, it could hide in plain sight because of the deep fakes.

............deep fakes.

Get used to hearing that phrase. It refers to digital manipulation of sound, images, or video to impersonate someone or make it appear that a person did something—and to do so in a manner that is increasingly realistic, to the point that the unaided observer cannot detect the fake. Think of it as a destructive variation of the Turing test: imitation designed to mislead and deceive rather than to emulate and iterate.

https://lawfareblog.com/deep-fakes-looming-crisis-national-security-democracy-and-privacy

9 hours ago, Fez said:

Most of them, yeah. Florida is a bit shorter than most, because it's straight up 2 calendar months, rather than 60 legislative days spread out over a longer period of time. But there's only 11 states that don't constitutionally mandate short legislative sessions, and even most of them aren't always in session. Legislatures meet for a little while to pass the state budget and handle any other legislation, and only go into special session if they fail to pass the budget, have to deal with any vetoes, or the governor summons them to handle an immediate issue.

It dates back to the idea that being a state legislator should be a part-time job that anyone can do, and the salaries are generally matching that. There's only 10 states where they make more than $50k annually, another 5 that make more than $40k, and another 5 that make more than $30k annually. Though things don't always match up fully. There are states where being a legislator is a full-time job but the salary is not (e.g. Rhode Island, where they make $15k per year) and states were legislator is part-time but they get paid well (e.g. Hawaii, where they make $61k). 

Florida is kinda in the middle. They get $29,697 for 2 months of work. Which is a real nice rate if it covered the whole year, but is hard to get by on if there's no income sources for the other 10 months. And it can be tricky holding a job while being a state legislator (except for ones like, "partner in a law firm" where you can set your own hours), since you're gone from it for a few months each year, you may be gone additional time for special sessions without much advance warning, and you need to spend time on fundraising, campaigning, and constitutient duties. The whole part-time idea is extremely flawed and helps continue the trend of only the independently wealthy being able to run for office.

Members of legislatures across Canada make a heck of a lot more, from a low of about $70,000 to a high of $125,000, but pick up extra duties and there's often a big salary bump. $40,000 to $50,000 for cabinet ministers, for example.

However, the jobs are full time jobs. Most sit for 7 to 8 months of the year, having a long summer break, typically mid June to the start of September, when they do major constituency work, plus Christmas and Easter breaks of a week or two, plus 3 days off at provincial or federal holidays.

The level that's usually considered part-time is at the municipal level, though council members in big cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, which have budgets bigger than those of several smaller provinces, demand more and more money. Toronto city councillors, after years of much lower salaries, are now paid $112,000 a year, more than provincial legislators.

That's why I was shocked to read about Florida!

eta: keep in mind this is the 79 cent Canadian dollar, soon to drop to 69 cents or less if NAFTA goes under. Or even if it stays.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Get out my face and space, Jace, with pace, or else I’ll get my mace.

Welcome to the show, tell ya how it gonna go, liberal values beat the foe

Roe v Wade

Stayin' off the flow when I let it row catch a Tywin by the toe if he holla I'mma let him know

Rape

Isn't cool, dudes be thinkin' straight from the tool actin' like a fool think we gonna follow the rule. Of

The Phallus Quo, nasty boys be actin like a hoe when Jace in the fields she sow

All you bitches gonna reap it though

24 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Welcome to the show, tell ya how it gonna go, liberal values beat the foe

Roe v Wade

Stayin' off the flow when I let it row catch a Tywin by the toe if he holla I'mma let him know

Rape

Isn't cool, dudes be thinkin' straight from the tool actin' like a fool think we gonna follow the rule. Of

The Phallus Quo, nasty boys be actin like a hoe when Jace in the fields she sow

All you bitches gonna reap it though

:lmao::thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

I just saw Billy Graham died. That put a smile on my face.

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Right? I finally woke up to some good news.

19 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Jace actually had to go to bed this morning because they wouldn't stop talking about him on the news.

They can't bury him deep enough.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The whitewashing of him is getting out of control. It's like everyone forgot that he was antisemitic, homophobic and misogynistic.  

The 2 minutes of report I heard about him on NPR did bring up some of his anti-Semitic BS.  Then they moved on to talking to his son, so I changed the channel.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The whitewashing of him is getting out of control. It's like everyone forgot that he was antisemitic, homophobic and misogynistic.  

The last two are pluses to many. The first one too, but you have to be quieter about that one.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not entirely shocking given how we have monuments to thieves and slave owners in street names and statues and also memorialize them on money and by naming schools after them.

I find it peculiar that TV Evangelists are a thing. Who watches? And who pays to go to the stadiums to see a preacher?

There's such thing as being cost-effective. Church is free to walk into, and I'm pretty sure you can find the Bible online.

The ones I really detest are the predatory ones who rely on "donations" (better called "extortion") from emotionally vulnerable people. The "prosperity gospel" charlatans whose rock stat lifestyles are funded on the last hopes and wishes of extremely sick and extremely poor. Admittedly, most of what I know comes from watching a segment on Last Week Tonight but it seems that the central message of the segment is true.

9 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Not entirely shocking given how we have monuments to thieves and slave owners in street names and statues and also memorialize them on money and by naming schools after them.

It is an utterly peculiar cultural quirk that Americans are so militaristic and patriotic - except they also build statues to literal traitors. It's as crazy to me as if the French Revolution had finished with erecting a statue to Louis and Marie Antoinette. Or if the Soviets had erected a statue of the Tsar. Seriously, who does that?

4 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I can easily see Sarah Sanders hastily scribbling those notes down to try and keep him in line.

In that case one of the notes probably said, "I'm not sure exactly what the President is thinking right now."

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I can easily see Sarah Sanders hastily scribbling those notes down to try and keep him in line.

Since we can't see the whole thing, I wonder what the other lines are.

"Don't hit on any of the teenage girls."

"Don't ask who their parents voted for."

"We don't get to blame this one on Jews, Mexicans, or the blacks."

Archived