U.S. Politics: Gunnin' From The Long Arm of the Law

Sivin

46 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I find it peculiar that TV Evangelists are a thing. Who watches? And who pays to go to the stadiums to see a preacher?

There's such thing as being cost-effective. Church is free to walk into, and I'm pretty sure you can find the Bible online.

The ones I really detest are the predatory ones who rely on "donations" (better called "extortion") from emotionally vulnerable people. The "prosperity gospel" charlatans whose rock stat lifestyles are funded on the last hopes and wishes of extremely sick and extremely poor. Admittedly, most of what I know comes from watching a segment on Last Week Tonight but it seems that the central message of the segment is true.

Where do they have evangelists who require you to pay to get into a stadium? I haven't heard of that one. 

I agree with your evaluation of "prosperity gospel" preachers. And Billy Graham was never one of them. 

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Where do they have evangelists who require you to pay to get into a stadium? I haven't heard of that one.

Oh? I thought you did. How do they pay off the costs of hiring the venue otherwise?

44 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Reuters did not report that he said that, however.

12 minutes ago, Yukle said:

Oh? I thought you did. How do they pay off the costs of hiring the venue otherwise?

They ask for donations of course.  Also, the faithful come prepared to pay donate, because they have been paying donating all of their lives. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The whitewashing of him is getting out of control. It's like everyone forgot that he was antisemitic, homophobic and misogynistic.  

This morning, CNN HLN tried to portray him as an ally of the Civil Rights movement because he took some photo ops with MLK. He never spoke up for equal rights for Black people.

3 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Reuters did not report that he said that, however.

They ask for donations of course.  Also, the faithful come prepared to pay donate, because they have been paying donating all of their lives. 

Yes, I did notice that in the videos he never actually at any point said anything in response to the students. Everything was pre-prepared, such as blaming it on lack of background checks. He didn't react to suggestions of assault weapon bans or anything.

On the second point, that's nice of people to donate to those who most need it...

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

This NRA woman on the CNN town hall, Dana Lash (sp) is just so evil you sure understand how the NRA sleazes it's way around state and federal legislatures across the USA.

It's all the fault of the mentally ill. Not the weapons.

I think the electorate might have reached a critical mass and grown an intelligence level. They ain't buying whatever it is she's trying to sell.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

This NRA woman on the CNN town hall, Dana Lash (sp) is just so evil you sure understand how the NRA sleazes it's way around state and federal legislatures across the USA.

It's all the fault of the mentally ill. Not the weapons.

Yeah, calling them crazy and monsters is why the stigma of mental illness still exists.

I liked the sheriff. He wasn't putting up with her bullshit.

And watching Rubio getting his butt handed to him by a teenager was priceless.

24 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

And watching Rubio getting his butt handed to him by a teenager was priceless.

You mean that George Soros puppet?

You know, I bet if someone did some message tracing I bet that was started by a Russian troll. Not that the right wing extremists don't see Soros under every bush, but it sounds like something a Russian troll would have said.

I read the comments on the NYT stories that show up on my Facebook feed, they're often the most literate and entertaining, and often informative as well.

That now infamous picture of himself holding his list of cheat notes reveals something I didn't notice.

He has 45 embroidered on the cuffs of his shirts.

Another cheat note?

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The whitewashing of him is getting out of control. It's like everyone forgot that he was antisemitic, homophobic and misogynistic.  

Only to top it off by spawning onto future generations a "Franklin"stein right wing son!

At the very least, it’s time to figure out if Republicans have the power to reshape the Pennsylvania Supreme Court if they apply to the task the kind of unity they have exhibited in their impressively partisan gerrymandering efforts. The answer is probably yes.

The GOP Is Serious About Impeaching P.A. Judges for Reversing Their Gerrymander

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/the-gop-is-serious-about-impeaching-p-a-judges.html

Archived