West World Catch Up!

Jace, Extat

Alright peeps! New Season drops in the not-too-distant future. @Tywin et al. is popping his Hostess cherry as we speak.

Rules of this thread. Keep some super-spoily shit in tags with a brief explanation of where in the show someone should be before clicking.

For example:

That thing that happens in Ep. 1!

When Bernard has glasses!

Let's get after it people.

I wonder if when they set out if Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy had a whole story with an ending for Westworld? I envision, for season 2, tap dancing with the narrative. Others do this too, it does not always work for me. I liked season 1, but thought there was too much looping.In fact that ground-hog-day mode got on my nerves , wanted to see more economy.

16 minutes ago, boojam said:

but thought there was too much looping

That's definitely its biggest weakness.  And I suspect you're right - the Nolans rely far too much on using time as a narrative tool.  Really interesting in moderation, but can too easily get to the point where the casual viewer feels like she's being fucked with.

As for Nolan and Joy having the whole series mapped out, no, they clearly didn't.  Don't think that's a bad thing though.  As long as they're interested in telling the story, I'll be interested in watching it.

13 hours ago, dmc515 said:

That's definitely its biggest weakness.  And I suspect you're right - the Nolans rely far too much on using time as a narrative tool.  Really interesting in moderation, but can too easily get to the point where the casual viewer feels like she's being fucked with.

As for Nolan and Joy having the whole series mapped out, no, they clearly didn't.  Don't think that's a bad thing though.  As long as they're interested in telling the story, I'll be interested in watching it.

WW is perfect, and if you disagree then you're a Nazi Republican NRA Russian Bot Troll.

PERFECT!

At the end of the day I scale away nitpicks by asking "Is this shit AWESOME?"

Seriously, just take a break from dissecting the minutia and ask if you're entertained. If the answer is 'yes' then explore the things that you liked while acknowledging the flaws.

18 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

WW is perfect, and if you disagree then you're a Nazi Republican NRA Russian Bot Troll.

PERFECT!

At the end of the day I scale away nitpicks by asking "Is this shit AWESOME?"

Seriously, just take a break from dissecting the minutia and ask if you're entertained. If the answer is 'yes' then explore the things that you liked while acknowledging the flaws.

What if you turn off all critical facilities in your mind and you are still not entertained?

2 minutes ago, boojam said:

What if you turn off all critical facilities in your mind and you are still not entertained?

Listen. If you can't handle the occasional Chris Nolan indulgence, you can call that 'taste' if you pretend West World is Transformers, you're an asshole.

That's just the truth. Is it perfect? No. No show is perfect because perfection is overrated and quite subjective.

Does Jace love Citizen Kane? Sure. Would Jace rather watch Citizen Kane or Tropic Thunder on a random weekend?

Give me a break.

Obviously I'm being silly when I pretend to go off the rails, but c'mon.

5 minutes ago, boojam said:

And how to figure that out if you are not to have a critical eye?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be critical. I'm saying that you shouldn't be looking for every nitpick detail just to look edgy.

I LOVE watching Red Letter Media and shit, don't get me wrong. Breaking down shitty movies is great. But sometimes a good product is just a good product.

9 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be critical. I'm saying that you shouldn't be looking for every nitpick detail just to look edgy.

I think there's a bit of a difference though when a show or film is structured to invite viewers to analyse every detail. If you're aiming for a higher standard you're gonna get held to a higher standard.

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think there's a bit of a difference though when a show or film is structured to invite viewers to analyse every detail. If you're aiming for a higher standard you're gonna get held to a higher standard.

If you mean the viewer has standards of entertainment it is the ENTERTAINMENT which is held in judgement not the viewer.  Dont have to analyze every detail to judge a visual narrative's story telling.

3 minutes ago, boojam said:

If you mean the viewer has standards of entertainment it is the ENTERTAINMENT which is held in judgement not the viewer. 

I mean that Westworld is a show that wants its viewers to turn our brains on and think about it and puzzle out what's going on and as a result people are going to notice more, and sometimes have more issue with, nitpicks and minor flaws than in a less ambitious show.

Archived