Would Cersei have continued her incestuous relationship with Jaime if she married Rhaegar?

Angel Eyes

I'm not sure. If she genuinely grew to love Rhaegar then perhaps. If young Cersei had the same grasping, power hungry nature she does nowadays then she might not want to risk losing her crown. She certainly risked her place during her marriage to Robert, but would she do so with the beloved Rhaegar?

There's also the question of Rhaegar being perhaps the only man in Westeros who was better looking than Jaime. Maybe lust would have won the day and Cersei wouldn't have felt the need to keep Jaime around. What's a lion to a dragon?

The thing about Cersei is, she doesn't seem to enjoy having conversations that focus on things other than her own power plays. Is this a recent development after years of being with that brute Robert? Or was the Lioness at one point an intellectual? The kind of person who might enjoy the abstract mind of Rhaegar, as well as his Valyrian beauty and royal blood?

How The Prince That Was Promised situation would fit in to a Rhaegar/Cersei marriage is fascinating. Cersei has had her own dealing with prophecy, in Maggy The Frog's tent, so I wonder how she would react to the Dragon Prince's talk of prophecy and messiah figures?

1 hour ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

I'm not sure. If she genuinely grew to love Rhaegar then perhaps. If young Cersei had the same grasping, power hungry nature she does nowadays then she might not want to risk losing her crown. She certainly risked her place during her marriage to Robert, but would she do so with the beloved Rhaegar?

There's also the question of Rhaegar being perhaps the only man in Westeros who was better looking than Jaime. Maybe lust would have won the day and Cersei wouldn't have felt the need to keep Jaime around. What's a lion to a dragon?

The thing about Cersei is, she doesn't seem to enjoy having conversations that focus on things other than her own power plays. Is this a recent development after years of being with that brute Robert? Or was the Lioness at one point an intellectual? The kind of person who might enjoy the abstract mind of Rhaegar, as well as his Valyrian beauty and royal blood?

How The Prince That Was Promised situation would fit in to a Rhaegar/Cersei marriage is fascinating. Cersei has had her own dealing with prophecy, in Maggy The Frog's tent, so I wonder how she would react to the Dragon Prince's talk of prophecy and messiah figures?

She was certainly a murderess at the age of 10; just ask Melara. As for her intellectual side, there’s not much of that to discuss. 

Yes. Rhaegar dwarfs Jaime in everything. In the end, I don't think Cersei is moved by love but for fascination. Jaime is like a mirror for her own beauty and that is what fascinates her. Rhaegar is inhumanly beautiful, so it is some "thing" for her to admire. If I recall correctly, she was fascinated a little bit by Aurane enough to give him command of her fleet. Whatever fascinates her the most has her attention or "devotion".

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

Depends. Rhaegar's certainly handsome enough to make her forget Jaime, but if he's as mopey as they claim, she'd have gotten bored of him eventually. 

How much did Cersei like music, i.e. harp-playing as Rhaegar did

That is a good question not sure, but I do know that she wouldn't abort his children.  Knowing that she is greedy she try to have both (Jamie and  Rheagar) Rheagar wouldn't never treated Cersi so badly that mainly reason why she did to Robert.  It about control she wanted control who goes on throne next and revenge on Robert.

5 hours ago, James Steller said:

Depends. Rhaegar's certainly handsome enough to make her forget Jaime, but if he's as mopey as they claim, she'd have gotten bored of him eventually. 

To the underlined part.  I agree.  A mopey, moody guy might have a limp sausage and that won't keep the wildly temperamental and passionate Cersei entertained.   A better march for Cersei is Oberyn Martell.  They were made for each other.

I am of the opinion that Cersei probably would have been loyal to Rheagar. I also think even though, it really has nothing to do with it but that her and Jaime are Rheagar's half sibblings. She is attracted to kin, a Valaryian trait after so much inbred blood. None the less, she was told all of her life that she was to be wed to Rheagar and that was not going to happen it snapped somthing. She as already cruel but it really stepped up her "problems".

FYI ,she also hated Robert, secretly, for killing Rheagar at the Trident (as if he had a choice to die for no reason or to defend himself) so she never went into that marriage with honorable intentions.

Cersei was kneeling before the altar of the Mother. Joffrey’s bier had been laid out beneath the Stranger, who led the newly dead to the other world. The smell of incense hung heavy in the air, and a hundred candles burned, sending up a hundred prayers. Joff’s like to need every one of them, too. 
His sister looked over her shoulder. “Who?” she said, then, “Jaime?” She rose, her eyes brimming with tears. “Is it truly you?” She did not come to him, however. She has never come to me, he thought. She has always waited, letting me come to her. She gives, but I must ask.

This is what Jaime thinks about their relationship in ASOS and it is followed by their last sexual intercourse we know of. Before Tyrion even sowed doubt, it is not Jaime's experience that his sister lusts after him. Quite the opposite. If Cersei makes a move, there is always something else she wants.

Their first time was about Jaime stepping back as heir of Casterly Rock and the second time was to pay Robert back for his cheating. The only other times we know of are in Winterfell, when Cersei wants Jaime to become Hand and the time in the sept, when Cersei wants Jaime to kill Tyrion.

“Is it a rock you want? Or me?” 
He remembered that night as if it were yesterday. They spent it in an old inn on Eel Alley, well away from watchful eyes. Cersei had come to him dressed as a simple serving wench, which somehow excited him all the more. Jaime had never seen her more passionate. Every time he went to sleep, she woke him again. By morning Casterly Rock seemed a small price to pay to be near her always. 

Only their first time together seemed to have been lasting longer and more active from her side. But even then Jaime knew, that it came with a price. Lancel and Osney too had to pay.

As I read it, there is no genuine sexual interest from Cersei's side. She has the tendancy to replace her actual lovers with the imagination of another. Lancel is stand-in for Jaime and Jaime might very well be stand-in for Rhaegar:

You wanted to be me. His phantom fingers itched. The day his sister had come to White Sword Tower to beg him to renounce his vows, she had laughed after he refused her and boasted of having lied to him a thousand times. Jaime had taken that for a clumsy attempt to hurt him as he’d hurt her. It may have been the only true thing that she ever said to me.  

Those "thousand times" would qualify for an one-sided interest, I'd think. So no, Cersei would have been content with the man she had chosen herself, Rhaegar. I would even go as far to think that Cersei never intended to sleep with Jaime ever again after their first time. She leaves him saying that she'll do the rest. The very same rest, that makes a raging Tywin take her to Casterly Rock...

I think at some point she would be disillusioned by Rhaegar.  I think Cersei liked the idea of him and the way he looked.  I  don't think she knew anything about his melancholoy personality. I don't think Rhaegar could ever love Cersei.  She might have been beautiful, but she is not thoughtful or kind.  Elia was a better match and I believe she would have made a better queen.  I don't think Cersei would have tolerated Rhaegar's obsession with prophecy.  

Rhaegar and Robert did have one thing in common in that they were both in love with Lyanna and both chose her over Cersei.

He's more of a scholar than a warrior.  I have a feeling Cersei would see that as weak.  Cersei likes power.  She is attracted to that.   Rhaegar for all his faults would not abuse his power.  I still believe that Rhaegar would have run off with Lyanna.  He still would have chosen her as his Queen of Love and Beauty.  He still would have disrespected his wife, whoever that might be.

I think if Cersei knew who the real Rhaegar was, she would have come to hate him too.  The hate would have been different than her hate for Robert.  Cersei was in love of the fantasy of Rhaegar.  I think Rhaegar might not even like or respect Cersei.  Cersei is vengeful and cruel and at some point Rhaegar would see that.  Aerys is his father and he would learn to recognize the signs.

I do believe she would still have her affair with Jamie.  It would have been later.  Rhaegar really isn't a crush your enemies kind of person.  Rhaegar isn't power hungry and I don't think he would want to hurt anyone.  Rhaegar seems to be a person who you have to push to action.

I really don't think Cersei's capable of being satisfied. I think the main thing that attracts her to Jaime is she sees herself in him, but she's quick enough to scorn him anytime he does anything she doesn't care for. She'd find fault with Rhaegar quickly enough and grow to resent him.

Yep, she would have. Not immediately - but after a while, she would have gotten disappointed in Rhaegar after realizing he is not the ridiculously idealized image of a person she had built in her head. They probably wouldn't have fit emotionally, intellectually, maybe not even sexually either  Rhaegar would never have fallen in love with her, and she would be frustrated and angry and probably gotten bored with him as well. Cersei's crush on Rhaegar was as superficial and fake as Robert's on Lyanna.

It wouldn't have gotten as bad as with Robert, since  Rhaegar would have shown respect and wouldn't have raped or beat her. But on the other hand, Rhaegar would have quickly realised that she's sleeping with Jaime.

I don't doubt it at all. If Cersei was married to Rhaegar she would still have the main problem that her marriage to Robert had, her husband doesn't think she's as good as she thinks she is, the repercussions of that would just be different. Cersei would fall back to Jaime not just because she can, not just because it's the closest thing she can get to f* herself but because of how Jaime treats her and what she thinks he will do for her, it's an ego boost. Rhaegar would do so many things well in their marriage except be wrapped around her finger and blindly love her. I think she would have his children, at first at least, I think she would want those beautiful Targ babies but I wouldn't be surprised if a few twincest babies slipped pass or she didn't know who the real father was.

I'm curious to know what she would do once Rhaegar left her for Lyanna Stark, not so meek as Elia I assume, and I wonder how she would then treat Rhaegar's children once true hate came into it.

Archived