Would Cersei have continued her incestuous relationship with Jaime if she married Rhaegar?

Angel Eyes

8 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

It wouldn't have gotten as bad as with Robert, since  Rhaegar would have shown respect and wouldn't have raped or beat her. But on the other hand, Rhaegar would have quickly realised that she's sleeping with Jaime.

And maybe Rhaegar wanted to sleep with Jaime all along and since Cersei and Jaime look alike it was the next best thing.  Just kidding. 

Could Cersei be faithful to Rhaegar?  Tough question.  If I had to guess, no.  Temperament wise, Princess Ellia was the most compatible with Rhaegar.  That was actually a match made in heaven. 

Jaime never had any intentions of ending their relationship. 

That wedding would please her ego. Cersei is narcissist and greedy. Rhaegar is the most handsome man in the realm and loved by everone, her ideal husband. He would treat her well (at least no beating and humiliaton) and she could grow infuential in court. She would be very happy to have his children. Or at least she could marry her children with Jaime to her children with Rhaegar (they all have Targaryen name)

But I don't think that wedding would be a success in the long term. Ok it would be better than Robert/Cersei but Rhaegar seems to be melancholic, focused on prophecy, bookish and probably incompatible with fiery Cersei. I expect her to continue the affair with Jaime.

Rhaegar’s melocholy would have eventually bored/annoyed Cersei, though at a much slower and less violent pace than Robert’s unique negativity affected her. I doubt her relationship with Jamie would have been the same, but they probably would still fooled around a bit.

In truth, the only potential partner for Cersei that would have truly satisfied her was Oberyn.

1 hour ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Rhaegar’s melocholy would have eventually bored/annoyed Cersei, though at a much slower and less violent pace than Robert’s unique negativity affected her. I doubt her relationship with Jamie would have been the same, but they probably would still fooled around a bit.

In truth, the only potential partner for Cersei that would have truly satisfied her was Oberyn.

Oberyn would have killed Cersi or she him. The guy brought his bastard around to raise in his home- Cersi would try to kill them and if she fails Oberyn in response would murder her.

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Oberyn would have killed Cersi or she him. The guy brought his bastard around to raise in his home- Cersi would try to kill them and if she fails Oberyn in response would murder her.

I see where you’re coming from with that, but I don’t think this issue would have been as pronounced as it was for Cersei and Robert. A Cersei/Oberyn lineage wouldn’t have been in line to inherit anything, so the threat bastards theoretically pose is significantly smaller. While there’s still a social shame element, if the family lived in Dorne there would have been no group of their peers pushing that, if anything there would have been people openly explaining to Cersei how it was ok. Also Oberyn would have been encouraging of her having multiple side partners just like he had, which would have blunted the rage she may have instinctively felt on this issue.

On 18/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, Endymion I Targaryen said:

That wedding would please her ego. Cersei is narcissist and greedy. Rhaegar is the most handsome man in the realm and loved by everone, her ideal husband.

The same could be said for Robert when he became king; in fact, Cersei was happy to marry him, but she still slept with Jaime before the wedding. So yeah, I think she would have continued her affair with her brother regardless of who was her husband. After all, that had always been the plan.

I believe she would have. One of the reasons why Rhaegar is so alluring to Cersei is precisely because she could never have him. Much like with Robert and Lyanna, Cersei has an idealized vision of Rhaegar that's based purely on his physical beauty. Had Cersei actually married Rhaegar, she would have quickly learned that he was a brooding conspiracy theorist who was more interested in his harp than in her. Part of the reason why Cersei was satisfied with Jaime was because, aside from their physical resemblance to one another, Jaime was completely devoted to her. Cersei wanted devotion and adoration, so once she realized that she wasn't going to get that from Rhaegar, she would have reverted back to Jaime. 

On 18/2/2018 at 5:01 AM, goldenmaps said:

I think at some point she would be disillusioned by Rhaegar.  I think Cersei liked the idea of him and the way he looked.  I  don't think she knew anything about his melancholoy personality. I don't think Rhaegar could ever love Cersei.  She might have been beautiful, but she is not thoughtful or kind.  Elia was a better match and I believe she would have made a better queen.  I don't think Cersei would have tolerated Rhaegar's obsession with prophecy.  

Rhaegar and Robert did have one thing in common in that they were both in love with Lyanna and both chose her over Cersei.

He's more of a scholar than a warrior.  I have a feeling Cersei would see that as weak.  Cersei likes power.  She is attracted to that.   Rhaegar for all his faults would not abuse his power.  I still believe that Rhaegar would have run off with Lyanna.  He still would have chosen her as his Queen of Love and Beauty.  He still would have disrespected his wife, whoever that might be.

I think if Cersei knew who the real Rhaegar was, she would have come to hate him too.  The hate would have been different than her hate for Robert.  Cersei was in love of the fantasy of Rhaegar.  I think Rhaegar might not even like or respect Cersei.  Cersei is vengeful and cruel and at some point Rhaegar would see that.  Aerys is his father and he would learn to recognize the signs.

I do believe she would still have her affair with Jamie.  It would have been later.  Rhaegar really isn't a crush your enemies kind of person.  Rhaegar isn't power hungry and I don't think he would want to hurt anyone.  Rhaegar seems to be a person who you have to push to action.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I believe she would have. One of the reasons why Rhaegar is so alluring to Cersei is precisely because she could never have him. Much like with Robert and Lyanna, Cersei has an idealized vision of Rhaegar that's based purely on his physical beauty. Had Cersei actually married Rhaegar, she would have quickly learned that he was a brooding conspiracy theorist who was more interested in his harp than in her. Part of the reason why Cersei was satisfied with Jaime was because, aside from their physical resemblance to one another, Jaime was completely devoted to her. Cersei wanted devotion and adoration, so once she realized that she wasn't going to get that from Rhaegar, she would have reverted back to Jaime. 

This and this.

17 hours ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

I see where you’re coming from with that, but I don’t think this issue would have been as pronounced as it was for Cersei and Robert. A Cersei/Oberyn lineage wouldn’t have been in line to inherit anything, so the threat bastards theoretically pose is significantly smaller. While there’s still a social shame element, if the family lived in Dorne there would have been no group of their peers pushing that, if anything there would have been people openly explaining to Cersei how it was ok. Also Oberyn would have been encouraging of her having multiple side partners just like he had, which would have blunted the rage she may have instinctively felt on this issue.

Still Cersi hates women and bastards-and is uber protective  of her children wouldn't want them mingling with her husband's by blows and see there favoritism as a threat.

On 18.2.2018 at 3:32 AM, Haus Berlin said:

This is what Jaime thinks about their relationship in ASOS and it is followed by their last sexual intercourse we know of. Before Tyrion even sowed doubt, it is not Jaime's experience that his sister lusts after him. Quite the opposite. If Cersei makes a move, there is always something else she wants.

That isn't the thing. Cersei is the one in charge of the relationship. She makes the advances, she allows Jaime to seduce, touch, kiss, pleasure her. Cersei also uses Jaime's lust for her to get what she wants when she wants something - but she doesn't only have sex with Jaime when she wants something of him. She very much loves the guy.

Their first time was about Jaime stepping back as heir of Casterly Rock and the second time was to pay Robert back for his cheating. The only other times we know of are in Winterfell, when Cersei wants Jaime to become Hand and the time in the sept, when Cersei wants Jaime to kill Tyrion.

Cersei and Jaime had sex since they were 6-7 years old. Back then they innocently explored their sexuality. This was not some kind of manipulation game. Cersei only later grew resentful of Jaime's privileged life when she experienced firsthand how much differently he, as a male, was treated in this world. Cersei disguised herself as Jaime in their childhood, playing the part of a boy a couple of times.

One has also to keep in mind that Cersei is under a lot of pressure and stress since we first meet her. She needs all the help she can get, and she has every right to expect that her twin brother and lover stands at her side. He is the father of her children - by his own volition. He wanted to fuck her and make some little Lannister bastards.

Only their first time together seemed to have been lasting longer and more active from her side. But even then Jaime knew, that it came with a price. Lancel and Osney too had to pay.

That isn't their first time. Their first time was in their childhood.

As I read it, there is no genuine sexual interest from Cersei's side. She has the tendancy to replace her actual lovers with the imagination of another. Lancel is stand-in for Jaime and Jaime might very well be stand-in for Rhaegar.

Jaime is her twin brother. He is her first and deepest love. Even if ended their on-and-off relationship (they wouldn't have had much sex while Jaime was squire at Crakehall, nor later on after Jaime joined Aerys II's Kingsguard) they would always have jumped on the chance to fuck each other when they had the opportunity.

They could have both learned to love their spouses, but considering their innate narcissism they would, most likely, have never been enough. Rhaegar looked great, but he wasn't exactly the kind of character a woman like Cersei would be happy with. At least not for long.

However, if they lived apart from each other for years and decades their bond may have lessened, overtime. But I don't think they would have ever completely severed it. They are not just lovers, they are twins.

Cersei also never knew Prince Rhaegar. She loved him about as deeply as Sansa loved Joffrey or Loras. Most likely even less, considering that they would have met only a few times and then during formal occasions.

Cersei was only about ten years old when King Aerys II rejected Cersei as bride for Prince Rhaegar - who also happened to be seven years older than Cersei. How much in love with Rhaegar could a preteen girl have possibly been?

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That isn't the thing. Cersei is the one in charge of the relationship. She makes the advances, she allows Jaime to seduce, touch, kiss, pleasure her. Cersei also uses Jaime's lust for her to get what she wants when she wants something - but she doesn't only have sex with Jaime when she wants something of him. She very much loves the guy.

Cersei and Jaime had sex since they were 6-7 years old. Back then they innocently explored their sexuality. This was not some kind of manipulation game. Cersei only later grew resentful of Jaime's privileged life when she experienced firsthand how much differently he, as a male, was treated in this world. Cersei disguised herself as Jaime in their childhood, playing the part of a boy a couple of times.

One has also to keep in mind that Cersei is under a lot of pressure and stress since we first meet her. She needs all the help she can get, and she has every right to expect that her twin brother and lover stands at her side. He is the father of her children - by his own volition. He wanted to fuck her and make some little Lannister bastards.

That isn't their first time. Their first time was in their childhood.

Jaime is her twin brother. He is her first and deepest love. Even if ended their on-and-off relationship (they wouldn't have had much sex while Jaime was squire at Crakehall, nor later on after Jaime joined Aerys II's Kingsguard) they would always have jumped on the chance to fuck each other when they had the opportunity.

They could have both learned to love their spouses, but considering their innate narcissism they would, most likely, have never been enough. Rhaegar looked great, but he wasn't exactly the kind of character a woman like Cersei would be happy with. At least not for long.

However, if they lived apart from each other for years and decades their bond may have lessened, overtime. But I don't think they would have ever completely severed it. They are not just lovers, they are twins.

Cersei also never knew Prince Rhaegar. She loved him about as deeply as Sansa loved Joffrey or Loras. Most likely even less, considering that they would have met only a few times and then during formal occasions.

Cersei was only about ten years old when King Aerys II rejected Cersei as bride for Prince Rhaegar - who also happened to be seven years older than Cersei. How much in love with Rhaegar could a preteen girl have possibly been?

As much as Sansa was.

Great question @Angel Eyes.  I've enjoyed reading most of the responses, particularly those from @Haus Berlin and @The Bard of Banefort.

My take is simple - Cersei does what she wants when she wants to.  She would have no problem dropping Jaime like a bad habit, and then when Rhaegar bored her she would come back to him.  I do not believe that she actually loves Jaime and think that it would be very easy for her to leave him if she found something better.  Jaime is just her constant fallback plan.

Cersei would not have been satisfied with Rhaegar for many reasons that have already been mentioned. I would add that Cersei likes her yes men too much. Rhaegar would feel no love that would lead him to be devoted to Cersei, and he would not be swayed by transactional sex. What's a girl to do for her various schemes? Turn to Jaime, of course.

In any case, I feel that neither Cersei nor Rhaegar were made to be in a healthy, happy relationship.

On 19/2/2018 at 11:27 PM, Geddus said:

The same could be said for Robert when he became king; in fact, Cersei was happy to marry him, but she still slept with Jaime before the wedding. So yeah, I think she would have continued her affair with her brother regardless of who was her husband. After all, that had always been the plan.

Rhaegar was her first (and personal choice).Robert was more a normal person than Rhaegar.Rhaegar had a sense of legendary.He seemed the type of the perfect prince unlike Robert. He seemed more satisfying to her standards.

Since when Cersei even cared about stuff like loyalty? It doesn't matter if she would be satisfied with Rhaegar or not (she wouldn't), she would continue to sleep with Jaime either way. Jaime is her possession and a "part of her" and sleeping with him for her is the most natural thing. Cersei was infatuated with Rhaegar when she was a child too, but it didn't stop her to kill her best over Jaime at the same time after all. She is not letting go of Jaime simply because she would be married to some prince that she is "in love" with ( not really in love since she was crazy about Rhaegar before she even saw his face).

Archived