Whom was Rheagar's father?

Black Dragons

I quite like the theory that Rhaegar was a bastard, and it mostly has to do with the prophecy that a previous poster mentioned. So we learn in the books (I believe it is Barristan Selmy who tells us) that Prince Jaehaerys forced Aerys and Rhaella to marry because a wood's witch said that the prince that was promised would be born from their line. However, as we learn this second hand, this is probably simply their interpretation of the prophecy and we have not been informed of what the wood's witch actually said. I have a theory that the actual wording of the prophecy is more along the lines of the one that Maggy the Frog gave to Cersei. Basically, Maggy told Cersei that she would marry the King and when Cersei asked if they would have children Maggy replies yes, she will have three and he will have 16. To Cersei this doesn't make any sense because she assumes that if they are married they will have children together. If we ever get to hear the wood witch's exact prophecy to Jaehaerys, I think we might find that similar assumptions have been made.

I personally believe that the prince that was promised is actually three people -- Dany, Tyrion and Jon. This theory necessitates that R+L=J and the Tyrion Targaryen theories are true. However, it becomes much more interesting if Rhaegar was a bastard, because it means that Tyrion (the bastard son of Aerys) is descended only from Aerys, while Jon (the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna) would be descended only from Rhaella. And Daenerys, their true born daughter, would be descended from both. This means that the Prince that Was Promised (three people) would indeed be descended from Aerys and Rhaella, just not in the way anyone had anticipated.

Archived