Why Do People Want Lady Stoneheart to Die?

lAPPYc

People refer to her at UnCat. But guys, most people hated Catelyn. I didn't hate her per say, but her POV's were the same to me as watching Skyler in Breaking Bad. I understood why she did what she did, and had a hard time imagining what I would have done differently had I been in her shoes! But that didn't stop me from yelling inside my head *Stop! Just Stop. The thing you're doing, just don't do it. The thing you're thinking, just Don't think it!"

So, now that she's most probably not going to act in the restrained motherly way, why does the fandom procure different scenarios for her death?

For myself, when first I read the description of the hatred filled revenant, I didn't see any UnCat, I just saw a Catelyn who had been unfettered. “Give me Cersei Lannister, Lord Karstark, and you would see how gentle a woman can be,” is what she says in her last AGOT chapter. Well, now she can show us, and them. All those that wronged the Starks: The Freys, The Lannisters and the Boltons. And all the Littlefingers as well. Why does she have to die, when she could actually help Arya in accepting her skills and begin to kill without commands?

If you're just worried about Jaime, I don't think you need to be. I think that the chances Jaime dying right now are slim. Even though it might look like justice right now, him dying at the hand of the woman whose son he tried to kill, in my opinion, Jaime doesn't warrant a death right now. He's scheduled to die at the Wall, I think, because of his dream involving the burning sword and it's flame guttering out. But who better to take him to the north apart from Stoneheart? Blackfish is suspected to be in on the Grand Northern Conspiracy, the conspiracy to put Jon Snow on the throne of the North, and the Blackfish might realize the value of Jaime as a hostage for the newly made king whose legitimacy might be questioned. I think that the Blackfish might convince her to take her hostage north, he's the only one who can, or to let him take him north, in case she doesn't want her Frey hanging sport up. This, I think is the more probable scenario. And you know what? I want to see her negotiating with Stannis for the North!!!

Considering that Jon is resurrected, and that for some reason, he marches south to take control of the kingdom left to him, Lady Stoneheart is the best thing that will convince people that Jon actually died. People here say that Jon is free of his vows because he died, but try telling that to someone like Greatjon Umber or Wyman Manderley, or the Clans. Not only will they ask how much did you get for your brian when you sold it, they will also say that Jon is simply lying. Because, who comes back from the dead? Well, Stoneheart does. I think she is going to come north, maybe to exchange the Kingslayer for her son who is in hands of Stannis's Hand. Or maybe to place Jon Snow on the throne of the North like Robb wanted, or Stannis, so that her daughters, who are in the wind, may know that there is a safe place to return, or simply to unite the North so she could show Cersei Lannister how gentle a woman can be.

I don't think she will die while trying to rescue Edmure, and I don't think the BWB will be horrified at some massacre. I am simply dumbfounded at people making conjectures of her dying at hands of someone righteous who then comes into their own element. GRRM doesn't kill for massacres, he kills for wrongful vengeance, like he did Rickard Karstark, or for stupidity, like Oberyn died of. So then you will need to have Stoneheart being outwitted by her enemies. Well, that could happen, but Catelyn is pretty smart. I don't think she is going to be betrayed either. The last I read of the BWB, they didn't seem like they minded serving under her. Lem was glowing, and Gendry seemed enthusiastic as well, or at least, angry at what had happened to Arya's mother, and to Arya herself, so he seemed happy at getting revenge. True, Thoros might have doubts, but he is a priest of the Red God, whose existence was only recently confirmed to him, renewing his faith. I doubt he will betray the spirit that R'hllor sent back. Thoros says that the brotherhood is broken, but there seems to be no reason for the broken faction to come back and attack her. Mostly people put forth Brienne to be the one to kill her. But as I said, Stoneheart's death will need her to do something dishonorable. From her logical handling of Brienne's case, I think she still has the concepts of honor and rights, and even politics, seeing how she manipulated her(and I also think that she sent Tom O' Seven to Riverrun). These are the same attributes Catelyn had. So I don't think Lady Stoneheart is going to leave us anytime soon, although her part may not be as large as I might want. But why does the fandom want her dead??? Isn't this is what we've always wanted from Catelyn, her to be just a bit more reckless? Just a bit more... brutal?

I kind of want her to die, not because I don't like Cat because of the opposite. I actually like Cat, despite knowing that a lot of her decisions, particularly later (towards the end of Clash and during Storm) weren't great, because I could understand where she was coming from and sympathise with her.

I want Stoneheart to meet her end soon because she isn't Cat anymore. She's a hollow shell of the woman she was and I'd prefer her to be at rest sooner rather than later. But I agree, she'll be important to events in the south and I don't think Jaime's done yet.

She's kind of damaged by having been dead for some time before her revival, so she's not fully Catelyn any more. 

I don't see her being killed. More like she passes on the life force that she got from Beric Dondarrion to someone she sees as being the next deserving carrier.

I see Stoneheart's "second life" as a sort of wraith-type creature- she isn't done on this Earth. She has some purpose left to fulfill, and once she has fulfilled that purpose, she can rest peacefully. It likely has something to do with Jon or her own children (discovering they're not dead), and maybe giving her life for them. 

She is a tortured, suffering soul though, and as Cat told us Catelyn VII ASOS- She has lived long enough. Let her shade die, and know peace. 

I want Lady Stoneheart to die because Catelyn deserves to die in peace.  Catelyn made some bad calls in her life and she murdered the only non-guilty person in the room during the Red Wedding, but if we look at Catelyn in the balance, she was an average highborn woman.  She had her faults but she was not the evil person that many fans make her out to be.  Gosh, so she spoke some mean words to Jon Snow.  Big deal.  The only crime that she is guilty of that's punishable by death is releasing Jaime Lannister from prison and that is for treason during war.  

Catelyn doesn't deserve to come back as the horrific creature that is LSH.  Catelyn deserved a clean death and a dignified burial after.  Stoneheart is an insult to justice.  What she does is revenge.  Stoneheart is not Catelyn, but something else.  Stoneheart is more similar to Arya than Catelyn.

I didn't particularly care much for Catelyn's character even when she was alive and not a zombie hell bent on revenge but her death was one of the most disturbing for me in the whole series. I find the Uncat interesting because I like to speculate where her reign of terror is going. I don't want to see Jaime or Brienne just kill her -- I'd like her to be put to rest in the knowledge that all her children (aside from Robb, of course) are alive.

Also, it would be nice if instead of dosing out revenge she dosed out proper justice.

So, yeah I want her to die but I want her to get stuff done and did in peace as Cat's death was horribly traumatic and brutal.

Sorry for not replying sooner.

19 hours ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Let her shade die, and know peace.

19 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

I want Lady Stoneheart to die because Catelyn deserves to die in peace.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Because she does not deserve to linger on in such an awful mockery of life.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I view it as a euthanasia of a dog long suffering from a broken leg-you would put down a dog if it broke it's leg you would put down a Cat long suffering from zombiefication.

Everyone dies, people, that's the truth of ASoIaF. I just want Catelyn to get some revenge before she snuffs it. Besides, I was protesting against the prevalent - at least what seems to me as prevalent - notion of her dying at the hands of someone righteous, and us supporting that death due to her misdeeds. She hasn't given any indication for doing any misdeeds, yet.

20 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

She's kind of damaged by having been dead for some time before her revival, so she's not fully Catelyn any more.

Everybody is damaged by some experience. Life changes people, so what if death does too? Will you disavow Robb because he was traumatized by hearing about his father's death? As I said, by her logical handling of Brienne's case, I think that her essential values that made her Catelyn were still there. So I'm still rooting for her.

19 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

Stoneheart is an insult to justice.  What she does is revenge. Stoneheart is not Catelyn, but something else.

Also, it would be nice if instead of dosing out revenge she dosed out proper justice.

Killin Freys, Lannisters and Boltons is justice, and we don't know if she has done anything else yet. She wanted Jaime back, because, well, if you go pay for a chocolate bar, and then the store manager says that the last one ran away, wouldn't you expect your money back? And why shouldn't she have revenge? That way, Tyrion should die because he killed Tywin.

On 2/18/2018 at 8:40 AM, lAPPYc said:

For myself, when first I read the description of the hatred filled revenant, I didn't see any UnCat, I just saw a Catelyn who had been unfettered. “Give me Cersei Lannister, Lord Karstark, and you would see how gentle a woman can be,” is what she says in her last AGOT chapter.

I’m with you, I don’t think Lady Stoneheart is some different creature from Cat... she’s just really angry. This is more a culmination of her bitterness and desire for vengeance somehow persisting beyond the grave. Punishing indiscriminately for perceived sins, guilty and innocent alike.

Cat is sort of misplaced vengeance personified. Be it Jon, Tyrion, or the sad little bells... she often punishes innocents for crimes they didn’t commit.

This was covered by the motherly persona for her living character arc, but now as something a little less than human she can blossom into the villain she was always meant to be.

Of course, this is also why I expect her to be vanquished. If I had to guess I’d imagine her murder spree somehow endangers one of her living children before she finds out they live. 

I’d love to see Sandor be the one to defeat her...

1 hour ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

is sort of misplaced vengeance personified. Be it Jon, Tyrion, or the sad little bells... she often punishes innocents for crimes they didn’t commit.

Ok for Aegon, but how did she punish Jon?. Also, she couldn't in any way know that Tyrion is innocent.

1 hour ago, Kandrax said:

Ok for Aegon, but how did she punish Jon?. Also, she couldn't in any way know that Tyrion is innocent.

Aegon? I’m confused...

My whole point is that she doesn’t know who is innocent versus guilty and is punishing people anyway.

Just because she leaps to the wrong conclusions doesn’t mean she should be playing judge, jury, and executioner.

That is classic injustice.

And she blamed Jon for being born (and was ill informed about that even), again blaming an innocent for something not their fault...

Jon knew that he had never truly been one of them. Catelyn Stark had seen to that.

3 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Aegon? I’m confused...

My whole point is that she doesn’t know who is innocent versus guilty and is punishing people anyway.

Just because she leaps to the wrong conclusions doesn’t mean she should be playing judge, jury, and executioner.

That is classic injustice.

And she blamed Jon for being born (and was ill informed about that even), again blaming an innocent for something not their fault...

Aegon is Jinglebell. Yes, she blamed Jon, but didn't punished him in any way.

8 hours ago, Aetta said:

I just wanted Cat to die, let alone her iteration.  Catelyn is a horrible human being on all counts.  Almost as short-sighted and ridiculously selfish as Dany.

I'm not Dany fan, but calling her selfish is ridiculuos. Would a selfish person care about slaves? Would stop Dothraki from raping someone? Catelyn wasn't selfish too.

Archived