US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

Also, why isn't anyone bringing up the fact that with more guns there's a higher likelihood that one of these shootings begins with a teacher's gun?  Don't even need to track down weapons if you know there is a stockpile at your school that could be leveraged.

3 minutes ago, S John said:

Again, maybe I'm misreading the situation but I feel like this suggestion of turning our schools into fortresses with armed guards isn't playing well.  It's too obviously comfortable for R's and the NRA to be worth a damn.  I think the public is ready for them to give some ground on this by banning some shit, we'll see if they can tap dance their way out of it, but I can see this hurting them at the polls.  

We'll see.  Maybe this will hurt them, but who knows anymore. 

I am definitely not buying the idea that something is going to get done on gun control in this session of Congress.  AT MOST some tiny concession will be made like banning bump stocks.  But meaningful progress from a Republican Congress and WH?  Not a chance. 

4 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Also, why isn't anyone bringing up the fact that with more guns there's a higher likelihood that one of these shootings begins with a teacher's gun?  Don't even need to track down weapons if you know there is a stockpile at your school that could be leveraged.

Along those lines... last year it was made legal for concealed carry permit holders to carry guns on campus at Texas universities.  Yesterday I got email alerts about two separate incidents where guns were found on campus.  Both owned by people with a concealed carry license who had just left them sitting somewhere by accident (one was found in a women's bathroom, another just chillin' at the business school).  That's already rather disconcerting, but multiply this by the tens of thousands of schools in America and change the setting from a university campus to elementary, middle, and high schools.  What could go possible go wrong?

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

We'll see.  Maybe this will hurt them, but who knows anymore. 

I am definitely not buying the idea that something is going to get done on gun control in this session of Congress.  AT MOST some tiny concession will be made like banning bump stocks.  But meaningful progress from a Republican Congress and WH?  Not a chance. 

Oh I agree, I'm not at all hopeful this congress will do something meaningful.  I'm hopeful that the lack of action will hurt them at election time.  

6 minutes ago, S John said:

Oh I agree, I'm not at all hopeful this congress will do something meaningful.  I'm hopeful that the lack of action will hurt them at election time.  

Yeah, I wasn't responding to you specifically on that, more the optimism that other boarders were dabbling with.  I think that is misplaced.  There is no way that Republicans are going to completely abandon all of their gun-loving voters.  Trump was making noises about doing something for the past week, but today he showed his true colors.

And we haven’t even gotten to the giant problem that is, what happens when a teacher pulls their gun on a student out of fear? Even if the teacher doesn’t shoot the student, the classroom’s environment could be permanently destroyed.

look at the cops who murder civilians because "he reached for his waistband"  while the cops play Simon says  and the civilian is scared shitless because a power tripping asshole is drawing down on him. (Mesa Arizona)

yeah, we need that in our schools everyday. 

I have no interest in my kid's teachers carrying loaded firearms

1 hour ago, Nasty LongRider said:

How in the heck would public schools be able to afford to train and arm teachers, and then be able to afford the liability insurance that would then be required?  Stupidest idea ever.

By cutting English, history, social studies, art, music and theatre classes, duh!

1 hour ago, S John said:

No, much more likely is that the millions of republicans who weren’t going to bother to vote in the midterms are now activated by the tragedy and potential gun control candidates and will now be certain to vote in the midterms.

27 minutes ago, aceluby said:

School should be about guns and praying, the way our founders intended.

D'oh!  Of course, silly me.    :bang:

on fb, my brother notes; only the school librarians will have silencers. 

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

He doesn't want armed guards. Those already exist. They did at Parkland. The guard didn't want to engage because he had a hand gun and the killer had full body armor and an AR-15. Those guards don't get paid enough to die in a flurry of bullets. 

What Trump does want is more guns in the schools which means more teachers/coaches which means more guns sold. And this is also a way to bypass gun laws in states. And like the situation in Parkland, it'll do nothing because determined mass murderers will wear easily obtainable body armor.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2

Wayne LaPierre: Schools With Armed Guards ‘The One Thing That Would Keep People Safe’ 

Wayne LaPierre, the head of the National Rifle Association, made a second effort at selling his views on the Newtown school shooting massacre to the public in a contentious appearance on “Meet the Press” on Sunday morning.

Making his first public remarks since he spoke at a public relations debacle of a press conference on Friday, LaPierre stood behind his call to put armed guards in every school — one of the most widely criticized parts of his earlier appearance.

“If it’s crazy to call for armed officers in our schools to protect our children, then call me crazy,” LaPierre said defiantly. “I think the American people think it’s crazy not to do it. It’s the one thing that would keep people safe.”

LaPierre also strongly suggested that the NRA would fight any new measures that would limit gun purchases, calling them ineffective and denouncing the assault weapons ban as a “phony piece of legislation.”

At one point, Gregory held up an oversized rifle magazine of the sort used by Adam Lanza in the shooting in Newtown, Conn., and asked if it was banned, “isn’t it just possible that we could reduce the carnage?”

“I don’t think it would make one difference,” LaPierre replied. Instead, LaPierre attempted to shift the conversation to felons and “lunatics” who should be arrested if they try to purchase a gun.

“I know there’s a media machine in this country that wants to blame guns every time something happens,” LaPierre said at one point. “I know there’s an anti-Second Amendment industry in this town ... I’m telling you what I think will make people feel safe, and every mom and dad will make them feel better: If we have a police officer in that school, a good guy that if some horrible monster tries to do something, will be there to protect them.”

•  

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

This was my reaction too.  I worked as a full time sub (like being a teacher, but sucky pay and no beni's) at a middle school, 7th grade to be specific.

I am an army veteran, an expert shot, not small, (was) fairly strong, just the type of person Trump was referring to.

Let me say there is no way in hell I would ever want a gun at school, especially not one on me.

First off, even though I was 5'8" 180lbs, there were kids in 7th grade that were bigger than me.

Second, at any given time, I was out numbered by a minimum of 25 to 1 

Third, even though my purse was kept in my desk drawer, and I did my best to always be aware of all the students all the time, I still had something stolen. You just can't see everything all the time.

It is a recipe for disaster!

Okay, time for some home truths. Forget all the PC bullshit about the poor victmed schoolchildren, and look at the real victims: the shooters. Do you notice that EVERY law being pushed by the liberal elites comes down on the side of the kids? When was the last time any celebrity organized a vigil for the shooters? Yeah, like that EVER happens...Justice May be blind, but it can apparently count. People out in real America see the truth the media won’t tell...if they didn’t Hillary would be in the WH right now organizing another witch hunt for the shooters. Thank God there’s finally someone representing the unrepresented in charge. 

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Because America is the most absurd, backward nation on Earth. 

You need to travel to the third world a bit more, bud. America is flawed, and those flaws would mostly be easy to fix if the right weren't total idiots, but this is a bit hyperbolic. :P

5 hours ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

@Pony Queen Jace As always, we Germans have already invented the word you're looking for. Hereabouts, they're called "Flintenweib" (pl. Flintenweiber; literal translation: flint lock wife; more modern translation: rifle bitch). You're welcome :)

:lmao:

I only took one German class in college, but I found it hilarious how new terms could be created. German is a really fun language. 

4 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I don’t understand the world the NRA envisions where all the good guys are toting guns thus no crime and evything is sunshine and bullet casings. I genuinely don’t understand it. I watched La Pierre’s speech and I am now dumber for having done so. Such a pile of absolute shit.

I sincerely doubt that most of them believe what they're selling. Most of their slogans and pitches are marketing schemes devised to distract individuals so they can do their real job, help gun manufacturers sell as many guns as humanly possible. Once you accept that truth, their actions and statements become a lot easier to understand. 

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

For fuck's sake. This is why Democrats will never win.

As the chair of my honors thesis liked to say, "Democrats are the masters of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory."

45 and the NRA telling us all we can do is arm teachers is a failure of the utmost.  It means that they can't see any way that mass shootings can be stopped before they happen, only reacted to when they happen and by arming teachers they are acknowledging that the shootings will continue.  fail, fail, fail

3 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

This was my reaction too.  I worked as a full time sub (like being a teacher, but sucky pay and no beni's) at a middle school, 7th grade to be specific.

Don't take this the wrong way Lany, but this is actually the worst person to arm in a school IMO. Kids, especially at that age, like to make substitute teachers' lives hell, and it's pretty easy to see one snapping after the 20th kid hit him or her with a spitball, for example. 

Archived