US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, WinterFox said:

We'll be fine though. We can set the air on fire. We can literally fly more drones than they have surface to air missiles over every square foot of their swamps and marshes. And we don't need nuclear weapons to make cities disappear in an instant. 

It won't come to that, of course. The Russians lack the resolve and seclusion of groups like the Taliban and Isis, without a central authority to reinforce their submission they'll eat each other within a year. All of Putin's pilfered billions won't make bread appear for the hungry when the hooks really set in. 

There are analysts who submit that Putin's push on orange idjiot for the anti-immigration agenda and expelling everyone who isn't 'white' from the USA is a strategy for destroying the USA's food supply, particularly any surplus.  This kills more than a single bird while providing vengeance for the western embargo put in place by we-know-whom to punish Russia for various things including political hacking and manipulation of campaigns and elections.

We do certainly see the effects already on our food supply without the migrant labor that big ag biz has depended on for so long -- as well as even at the race track for grooms, jockeys, etc.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Looking at a slight uptick in the generic House ballot for Democrats (~+8.5), no idea what is driving it (might be Parkland, might not be). Seems a bit untethered from President Littlefinger's own fluctuating fortunes.

I think Parkland is having an effect. People overwhelmingly support increased gun control, and they are noticing the mealy mouthed response from Republicans. What seems to be unique about Parkland is the response from the victims. Past responses were always a combination of shocked, sad and scared. That doesn’t seem to be the case with Parkland. The response from the victims is being pissed off and angry, and it’s being communicated in a really articulate way. And it’s causing everyone else in the country who supports gun control to be angry too.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

One of the things I could never wrap my head around when I was writing my thesis was the 1972 election. As you said, McGovern was a decorated war hero and yet he was painted as a liberal hippy while Nixon did next to nothing in the war and was labeled a proud veteran. But what was even more shocking is that the polling data shows that people overwhelmingly supported McGovern’s policy positions, and yet Nixon won in a historical landslide.

You had a close repeat of that in 2004 with Kerry v. W. Bush.
It's all about perception and image. Right-wing politicians manage to give this "tough guy" image partly because they are right-wing in the first place. Left-wing politicians seem soft even when they aren't.
Part of it may be because of the very nature of the right-wing/left-wing dichotomy:almost by definition left-wingers are supposed to be more compassionate. So of course it's hard to imagine that they would be willing to fight and kill.
Something similar goes on with the economy and fiscal responsibility. Because right-wingers give shit-tons of money to the 1% they are supposed to know stuff about business and economics. In actuality the new right has been an economic disaster these last decades.
It's all about image and perception. And perceptions can be mind-boggling.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Also Rasmussen has a poll with Trump's approval at 50/49, the first time he's been in positive territory in their daily poll since last March.  Other polls have actually been going the other way for him the past week or so, but I expect we'll be seeing a presidential tweet of this outlier poll before too long.

It was -7 only two days. Tracking polls can be volatile for no reason other than the sample compositions changing, but that seems really excessive.

I'll admit I didn't expect this:

Its not a ban, but it is something; and I expected nothing (tbf, it is nothing unless a bill actually passes). Scott is presumably going to run against Nelson for that Senate seat, and it speaks to how the politics of this incident are different from the past ones that Scott thinks its a political winner to actually take some action.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump is Joffrey. A spoiled, thin skinned, narcissistic and sadistic brat who surrounds himself with sycophants who feed into his worst desires and temptations.

Well someone said it all with a thread last year. Trump is Worse than Joffrey or some such was the title.

11 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

From the WaPo story on the same subject:

The guilty plea, which is scheduled for 2 p.m., caps a busy week for Mueller’s investigation of Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and related issues. It also ends a tumultuous period for Gates, who found himself re-indicted, changing lawyers and agreeing to plead guilty all within 24 hours.

According to a criminal information — a document filed with the permission of the defendant which traditionally signals that person plans to plead guilty — Gates conspired to defraud the United States regarding the money he and his business partner Paul Manafort earned, and lied to the FBI in a Feb. 1, 2018 interview about a 2013 meeting between Manafort, a lobbyist, and a congressman.

In that FBI interview, as he was trying to negotiate a plea deal, Gates claimed there had been no discussion of Ukraine at the 2013 meeting, when in fact, Gates and Manafort prepared a report detailing the Ukrainian discussions, according to the criminal information.

(emphasis mine)

I gotta say, this does not make Gates sound like a smart man.  By Feb 2018, he was already well down the path of pleading guilty and negotiating a deal with Mueller.  What are you thinking lying to the FBI at that point?  You should assume that 90% of the questions they are asking you they already know the answer to.  Talk about a self-inflicted wound, no wonder his lawyers keep dropping him. 

18 hours ago, Yukle said:

Why stop at training teachers with guns? Give them all rocket launchers. And equip all of the corridors with flamethrowers, so baddies can't get in.

Better yet - replace the concrete foundations under schools with landmines with a red button on the principal's desk. If a shooting spree begins then they just push the button and the school blows up and the problem is solved.

Rotating knives that come out of the walls. You missed that one. 

42 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

From the WaPo story on the same subject:

(emphasis mine)

I gotta say, this does not make Gates sound like a smart man.  By Feb 2018, he was already well down the path of pleading guilty and negotiating a deal with Mueller.  What are you thinking lying to the FBI at that point?  You should assume that 90% of the questions they are asking you they already know the answer to.  Talk about a self-inflicted wound, no wonder his lawyers keep dropping him. 

Who's the congressman? Rohrbacher? 

15 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Who's the congressman? Rohrbacher? 

From the politico article:

The false statement charge focuses on Gates' comments to Mueller's team on Feb. 1 about a 2013 meeting involving Manafort and Republican California Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, as well as former congressman Vin Weber, now a lobbyist at Mercury. That meeting was detailed in a June 2017 filing by Manafort’s firm retroactively disclosing foreign lobbying.

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

From the politico article:

Great, thank you. I missed that part in the Politico article--I paid more attention to the WaPo one. 

And what does Kevin McCarthy say about Rohrabacher? "“There's two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump."

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Trump is Joffrey. A spoiled, thin skinned, narcissistic and sadistic brat who surrounds himself with sycophants who feed into his worst desires and temptations.

I'd sell my right to vote in exchange for seeing Lena Heady slap the bitch out of Donald.

31 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Rotating knives that come out of the walls. You missed that one. 

What we really need is a building layout that shifts randomly so that the gunmen can't preplan their attacks. You ever see that one movie where the walls would slide in and out and shit and change the building?

How much does that cost?

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I'll admit I didn't expect this:

Its not a ban, but it is something; and I expected nothing (tbf, it is nothing unless a bill actually passes). Scott is presumably going to run against Nelson for that Senate seat, and it speaks to how the politics of this incident are different from the past ones that Scott thinks its a political winner to actually take some action.

Don't get to excited:

19 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'd sell my right to vote in exchange for seeing Lena Heady slap the bitch out of Donald.

Why Lena Heady? I'd much more like to see one of the Klitschkos do it (they are Ukrainians, so I assume they would be up for beating a Putin puppet).

Anyway, what happened to the idea with the armed teachers. "I made Billy an offer he couldn't refuse. I assured him it would either be answer on the test paper..." (yes, I really wanted to get that Godfather reference in). And yes, I know that NRA wet dream was/is a crazy idea to begin with.

35 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Great, thank you. I missed that part in the Politico article--I paid more attention to the WaPo one. 

And what does Kevin McCarthy say about Rohrabacher? "“There's two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump."

Hopefully the traitor congressman is indicted.

13 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Don't get to excited:

Better law enforcement officers than armed teachers (though as the deputy at Parkland proved, they aren't always helpful either).

Weisman is really putting the screws to Manafort. A superseding indictment from 2/16 has just been unsealed. No idea what's in it yet but the unsealing seems related to Gates' plea. 

ETA: The superseding indictment just stripped out Gates' name.

In other news, the RNC started paying rent to Trump for office space related to the 2020 campaign and salary to Pence's nephew as soon as they stopped paying for Trump's legal fees. 

Archived