US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Its not a ban, but it is something; and I expected nothing (tbf, it is nothing unless a bill actually passes). Scott is presumably going to run against Nelson for that Senate seat, and it speaks to how the politics of this incident are different from the past ones that Scott thinks its a political winner to actually take some action.

He's got a cleared primary field.  Combine this with the Pulse shooting and it's not hard to intuit gun politics are different in Florida.  I think it's entirely expected to lean left on some issues that aren't going to come to fruition anyway.

53 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Hopefully the traitor congressman is indicted.

I'd find it more enjoyable if the douche just loses his OC seat, which is totally doable.  Although the Dems gotta watch it with that jungle primary.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'd sell my right to vote in exchange for seeing Lena Heady slap the bitch out of Donald.

Spell Headey's name right or she's gonna bitch slap you!  She's not your bong resin.

With regards to the age of purchasing a firearm, what do we do about gifted and inherited firearms? I own three firearms, but I didn’t purchase any of them (I did buy one for my step-brother after he got a major award in the Army).  I got my first gun when I was 14 or 15 from my grandpa. Are we going to regulate this too? I recall  there being a school shooting a long time ago (I believe in Washington state) where a kid killed his parents and then shot up his school with the guns his dad bought him. Ironically, they bought him the guns because they thought that would lessen his interest in guns.

6 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

He's got a cleared primary field.  Combine this with the Pulse shooting and it's not hard to intuit gun politics are different in Florida.  I think it's entirely expected to lean left on some issues that aren't going to come to fruition anyway.

I'd find it more enjoyable if the douche just loses his OC seat, which is totally doable.  Although the Dems gotta watch it with that jungle primary.

Spell Headey's name right or she's gonna bitch slap you!  She's not your bong resin.

Dude, I cleaned out my bong just last night! That gunk is so gross!!! But them hits comin' smooth now. :)

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Never mind. This got added in the new indictment from what I'm seeing. It also removed 4 counts of failure to report a bank account.

Dammit man! Why you always stealing my thunder? I know my boys have a habit of playing your kitties when they're all hurt, but can I just break one story?

22 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Dude, I cleaned out my bong just last night! That gunk is so gross!!! But them hits comin' smooth now. :)

How have you still not gotten a volcano? I feel like I told you to do that a year ago!

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

You ever see TSCC?

Absolutely loved that show.  Still hoping for season 3.

22 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Absolutely loved that show.  Still hoping for season 3.

Ha, yeah not to destroy your hopes and dreams, but the chances of that happening are 0, since the people who made TSCC don't have the actual rights any more. (Heck I think its changed hands 3 or 4 times since the show went of the air).

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, yeah not to destroy your hopes and dreams, but the chances of that happening are 0, since the people who made TSCC don't have the actual rights any more. (Heck I think its changed hands 3 or 4 times since the show went of the air).

You're blowing my mind man.  And yeah the Terminator rights have been a huge whore.

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

With regards to the age of purchasing a firearm, what do we do about gifted and inherited firearms? I own three firearms, but I didn’t purchase any of them (I did buy one for my step-brother after he got a major award in the Army).  I got my first gun when I was 14 or 15 from my grandpa. Are we going to regulate this too? I recall  there being a school shooting a long time ago (I believe in Washington state) where a kid killed his parents and then shot up his school with the guns his dad bought him. Ironically, they bought him the guns because they thought that would lessen his interest in guns.

Gifts seem easy to regulate (although not easy to enforce). Simply make it illegal to gift someone a firearm under the minimum legal age of purchase, same as with alcohol. Alcohol has some exemptions surrounding parents, just don't allow those with guns. ETA: There's plenty of evidence that just the existence of laws, even those difficult/impossible to enforce, still lead to reductions in the behavior they are trying to curb.

As for inheritance, one solution could be that to inherit a firearm, the weapon needs to be specifically declared in the deceased's will, along with provisions for a trust to hold the firearm until the inheritor comes of age. The trust could be as simple as an account and a key with a firing range or other business comfortable with storing a gun; they get paid a one-time fee of $300 (or whatever) to store the gun as long as necessary.

I'm sure there's better ideas too. But I don't think there are any complicated policy problems surrounding successfully addressing firearms, it's entirely political/constitutional problems.

So the aggregate generic ballot is up to D+8 at RCP and 8.2 at 538.  I think +8 is a good equilibrium and a good over/under for the actual outcome. 

Also, haven't been around in a few days, but the new Pennsylvania map does indeed make things look a lot better for the Dems.  Sucks for Lamb though.  Win or lose, Lamb will be best served challenging Rothfus in the new 17th.  He shoulda/woulda won that based on the environment, but it's gonna look weird cuz he doesn't live there.  Meanwhile Saccone - win or lose - can probably safely run in the new 18th (although he's likely to be primaried based on his lackluster campaign in the special).

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Hey, I'd kill everyone in here in front of their own momma for a single new TSCC episode. I feel your pain.

Well, sure, but since they're all gonna die on JD anyway, that's kind of an empty gesture.

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

So the aggregate generic ballot is up to D+8 at RCP and 8.2 at 538.  I think +8 is a good equilibrium and a good over/under for the actual outcome. 

Also, haven't been around in a few days, but the new Pennsylvania map does indeed make things look a lot better for the Dems.  Sucks for Lamb though.  Win or lose, Lamb will be best served challenging Rothfus in the new 17th.  He shoulda/woulda won that based on the environment, but it's gonna look weird cuz he doesn't live there.  Meanwhile Saccone - win or lose - can probably safely run in the new 18th (although he's likely to be primaried based on his lackluster campaign in the special).

Rothfus was on the local news whining that he'll probably lose his seat. LOL 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Rothfus was on the local news whining that he'll probably lose his seat. LOL 

Nothing sweeter than Republicans playing victim on television.  Also, nothing more annoying than Republicans playing victim on television.

Archived