US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

27 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

That is an interesting, though I think inconsequential, possibility. America will never go hungry. Full stop.

I

http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-in-america/hunger-and-poverty-facts.html?

Do you have a background in farming or agriculture?  Because it's really hard to think of someone who does -- if it's not Industrial Ag -- who would say that, particularly now with climate change, the mass destruction of pollinators, including Industrial Ag itself, the massive pollution of ground water and soil from all sort of industries including fracking -- and now, yes, from lack of agricultural labor to pick your strawberries.

The reason people in the USA -- and now expanding into the rest of the world -- isn't because of FOOD -- it's because of industrial crops such as sugar and corn syrup that is put into everything, particularly everybody's favorite soft drinks and $tarbux.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Do you have a background in farming or agriculture?  Because it's really hard to think of someone who does -- if it's not Industrial Ag -- who would say that, particularly now with climate change, the mass destruction of pollinators, including Industrial Ag itself, the massive pollution of ground water and soil from all sort of industries including fracking -- and now, yes, from lack of agricultural labor to pick your strawberries.

As a matter of fact I do have a background in farming. 

I will be reading your link in a moment, but I'll post now that there is a very big difference between a reduction in food production of any type and mass starvation.

Just because there may be a crisis does not mean it will be insurmountable. 

As a teacher, the last thing I want is to carry a gun, and I wouldn't trust any of my co-workers with a gun.  As a student, I'd probably be scared to death if any of my teachers had a gun. Have any teachers' unions stated support for Orange45's proposals?

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

The reason people in the USA -- and now expanding into the rest of the world -- isn't because of FOOD -- it's because of industrial crops such as sugar and corn syrup that is put into everything, particularly everybody's favorite soft drinks and $tarbux.

I don’t think you’re really capable of properly scaling just how gargantuan the American farming capacity is. Particularly Kansas, Nebraska Missouri and Iowa. Sure fracking bad, so we lose five percent capacity for the areas contaminated, you still have 90% of those states perfectly capable. The limiting factors is the ability to fix nitrogen, rail capacity  to ship the crops out, and the status of the water table . 

Shit the governmwnt pays so many millions and millions of acres of perfectly good farmland to lie fallow every year (because we have too much of it and it’s much cheaper and better for the economy to pay farmers to do nothing then having them all race to the bottom competing over every last scrap of capacity) that it wouldn’t even take a season to activate additional capacity to deal with a catastrophe. 

90 % of the land in the United States is arable, which is pretty much as high as it gets, and compared to the other big continent sized countries it’s downright mind boggling. China has like 20% arable land, and five times the population and as a result, we feed them too. (It does help though that they really like to eat chicken feet and we really don’t, makes for a nice balance) ;)

everybody loves saying industrial agriculture bad, but everyone likes spending 0% of their own labor and  less than 12% of their take home pay on food (instead of the historically typical 50%+ plus food acquisition related heavy labor).

21 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

The American Right’s Deep Ties to Reactionary Europe
Why some U.S. conservatives are praising far-right extremists Marion Maréchal-Le Pen and Nigel Farage this week

https://newrepublic.com/article/147187/american-rights-deep-ties-reactionary-europe

Conservative columnist Matt Lewis complained on NBC News that “these are not conservatives. These are members of an international ethno-nationalist populist movement.”

lol

Conservatism is an ethno-nationalist movement Lewis. Pay attention.

CPAC has always just been a reflection of what right-wing thought in america actually is.

1 hour ago, Shryke said:

lol

Conservatism is an ethno-nationalist movement Lewis. Pay attention.

CPAC has always just been a reflection of what right-wing thought in america actually is.

He missed the patients taking over.

Some Democratic Establishment Wonks Put Out a Medicare-for-All Plan. And It’s Pretty Good!

https://slate.com/business/2018/02/cap-floats-a-new-health-care-plan-called-medicare-extra-and-its-good.html

Those Democrats, which include a big chunk of the party’s wonk class, are still looking for their own answer to Berniecare.

On Thursday, the Center for American Progress—the D.C. think tank of choice for technocratically inclined establishment Dems—took its stab at an alternative with the introduction of “Medicare Extra. ” While the name sounds like an ironic nod at teen slang, the program itself is an interesting blueprint for gradually nationalizing health care without making skeptical voters feel as if they’re being dragooned into the new system

15 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

The White House released the House Intelligence Committee Minority Report today.

I didn't know this was going to be released - last I heard, Trump had decided not to. Apparently, something changed, and they released it with some redactions. But boy, even with those redactions, this report completely eviscerates the account of events put forward in the Nunes memo, and also highlights just how transparent the GOP were being in their baldfaced lies in doing so.  

Nothing really changed. The FBI/DOJ redacted what was still considered classified and at that point, there was no need to get Trump's approval to release it. 

15 hours ago, WinterFox said:

As a matter of fact I do have a background in farming. 

I will be reading your link in a moment, but I'll post now that there is a very big difference between a reduction in food production of any type and mass starvation.

Just because there may be a crisis does not mean it will be insurmountable. 

Then you should know the huge difference in labor between planting and harvesting such non-foods with machinery that one man can handle, such as corn, in which most of these acres are planted, and given gummit big ag subsidies and which is burning out the nutrients of the soil and poisoning the aquifer and surface water with poisonous run-off from the fertilizers -- as well as using up the aquifer with irrigation (see Saudis, vast hay raising lands in the Southwest and Southern California, among others) -- and labor intensive nutritious foods such as vegetables and fruits, and animals raised without toxic kibbles and antibiotics and hormone laden injections to put on weight faster, produce more milk etc.  In the meantime so far as the poisoning of the land gone that there is no rice anywhere in the world that isn't laden with arsenic.  So even your beer is filled with arsenic, since much beer in the US is now made with rice (or corn) not barley or wheat.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/arsenic-in-rice

26 minutes ago, Triskele said:

It's pretty clear that California is moving about as far left as possible, so Feinstein has too much of an "establishment" vibe for a lot of California leftists plus being 84.  She is about the least senile 84 I've ever seen, so I'm tempted to say that age ain't nothing but a number, but I think it lends to others thinking she's not helping the cause when someone like DeLeon is waiting in the wings.  It just feels to a lot of people like now is the perfect time to step aside, so why not do it.  I won't be surprised if she loses to DeLeon.

Fuck Feinstein. It's California, there is no reason to tolerate her bullshit. She ain't representing fucking West Virginia here.

16 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

As a teacher, the last thing I want is to carry a gun, and I wouldn't trust any of my co-workers with a gun.  As a student, I'd probably be scared to death if any of my teachers had a gun. Have any teachers' unions stated support for Orange45's proposals?

As a teacher trainee not from the US, who has been dabbling a lot with the demands of political science classes (it's not my subject, but I am supposed to teach it anyways), I have been wondering whether Political Science teachers in the US are using this ludicrous proposal as a basis for student debates or whether they find it too cartoonish. I... would hope the latter, but dread the former...

On 2/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, Zorral said:

"Pursuit of happiness" meant property -- pursuit of wealth and property -- another way of protecting slave ownership. Or so it has been argued by some quite savvy sorts of constitutional lawyers.

Well, it's a pretty easy argument to make that pursuit of happiness meant property, considering that's what it was ripped off from.  Anyway, slave owners didn't need the Declaration for legal protection.

13 hours ago, Shryke said:

Well...yeah.  That sentence is pretty damn tautological.

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

It's pretty clear that California is moving about as far left as possible, so Feinstein has too much of an "establishment" vibe for a lot of California leftists plus being 84.

I think some of her statements on Trump hurt her.  But I also think it's California's desire to move on - and more importantly there's almost two generations of California Democrats that have been waiting to run for Senate.  After Boxer left, they smell blood in the water.  So, anyway, I don't really think it's about ideology as much as good old fashioned political opportunism.

56 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Well...yeah.  That sentence is pretty damn tautological.

I think some of her statements on Trump hurt her.  But I also think it's California's desire to move on - and more importantly there's almost two generations of California Democrats that have been waiting to run for Senate.  After Boxer left, they smell blood in the water.  So, anyway, I don't really think it's about ideology as much as good old fashioned political opportunism.

It's absolutely about ideology. There are a ton of people who think Feinstein is way too soft, especially in a post-Trump world. And given it's fucking California, no one is concerned about whether she's the best candidate the Democrats could elect for the seat.

4 minutes ago, Shryke said:

It's absolutely about ideology. There are a ton of people who think Feinstein is way too soft, especially in a post-Trump world.

"Soft" is not about ideology.  Or is it, in a post-Trump world?  If that was your deeper point, I agree.  Still doesn't mean ideology though, just means partisan bona fides are based on diametric opposition to the other side.

Anyway, not really in the Senate race, but as I said before, California Dems net to watch their enthusiasm with the jungle primary.  It's becoming a real problem.

17 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

"Soft" is not about ideology.  Or is it, in a post-Trump world?  If that was your deeper point, I agree.  Still doesn't mean ideology though, just means partisan bona fides are based on diametric opposition to the other side.

Anyway, not really in the Senate race, but as I said before, California Dems net to watch their enthusiasm with the jungle primary.  It's becoming a real problem.

Soft is absolutely about ideology. It's always been about ideology. Feinstein is way more centrist then a Democrat needs to be to win in California and as the party moves left the activist base are very interested in reducing the number of centrist Democrats in Congress where it can be done. Especially in my experience from people in California.

It's entirely about the fact that she's not left enough for a lot of people and there's no reason the democrats need to run a centrist in fucking California. Which is, you know, an issue of ideology.

5 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Soft is absolutely about ideology. It's always been about ideology. Feinstein is way more centrist then a Democrat needs to be to win in California and as the party moves left the activist base are very interested in reducing the number of centrist Democrats in Congress where it can be done. Especially in my experience from people in California.

It's entirely about the fact that she's not left enough for a lot of people and there's no reason the democrats need to run a centrist in fucking California. Which is, you know, an issue of ideology.

If the Demcrats continue to slide to far to the left, they will ultimately render themselves politically  nonviable and unelectable at the national level.

23 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

If the Demcrats continue to slide to far to the left, they will ultimately render themselves politically  nonviable and unelectable at the national level.

Sounds like both sides concern trolling.

Two quick thoughts.

1. Define what you consider to be "far left".

2. Why do both sides concern trolls and professional centrist never offer up this advice to the Republican Party?

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

2. Why do both sides concern trolls and professional centrist never offer up this advice to the Republican Party?

They most certainly do. For example, one of them main arguments of the Republicans opposed to Trump during the 2016 campaign was that his views and behavior are way too far from the norm and having him run would drag down the Republicans running for Congress.

Archived