Hatching Quicksilver.

AlaskanSandman

So who hatched Quicksilver and how. Quicksilver was hatched at a time we should best be able to single out who and how. So let's take a look through the evidence as we try to figure out who and how they were hatched by.

The World of Ice and Fire - The Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest. Of the five dragons who had flown with Aenar the Exile from Valyria, only one survived to Aegon's day: the great beast called Balerion, the Black Dread. The remaining two dragons—Vhagar and Meraxes—were younger, hatched on Dragonstone itself.

So we can see that 5 came from Valyria, and in 100 years, only 2 more hatched. Vhagar and Meraxes. While 4 from Valyria died.

The World of Ice and Fire - The Targaryen Kings: Aenys I

But though his father and brother, Maegor (who was Visenya's child), were both warriors born, Aenys was made of different stuff. He had begun life as a weak and sickly infant and remained so throughout his earliest years. Rumors abounded that this could be no true son of Aegon the Conqueror, who had been a warrior without peer. In fact, it was well-known that Queen Rhaenys delighted in handsome singers and witty mummers; perhaps one of these might have fathered the child. But the rumors dampened and eventually died when the sickly child was given a young hatchling who was named Quicksilver. And as the dragon grew, so too did Aenys.

So important to note that the dragon given to Aenys I was not hatched by him, and was already hatched by someone else before hand. This means there is a dragon hatcher existing before Aenys I birth but near his time too. This only leaves Rhaenys and Visenya possibly as so far we are not told of any males hatching there own egg.  Aenys is born in 7ac so with in Rhaenys life. 

The World of Ice and Fire - The Targaryen Kings: Maegor I

The death of the Dowager Queen Visenya in 44 AC was a notable event although Maegor seemed to take it in his stride. She had been his greatest ally and supporter from birth, seeking his advancement over his elder brother Aenys, and doing what she could to secure his legacy. In the confusion after her death, Aenys's widow, Queen Alyssa, slipped away from Dragonstone with her children, as well as with Dark Sister, Visenya's Valyrian steel sword. Alyssa and Aenys's next eldest son after Aegon, Prince Viserys, had been kept at the Red Keep as the king's squire, however, and he suffered for her flight. He died after nine days of questioning at the hands of Tyanna of the Tower. The king left his body in the castle courtyard, like so much offal, for a fortnight, hoping that word of it would force Queen Alyssa to claim her son's body, but she did not return. Viserys was fifteen at his death.

In 48 AC, Septon Moon and Ser Joffrey Doggett—also known as the Red Dog of the Hills—led the Poor Fellows against the king, and Riverrun stood with them. When Lord Daemon Velaryon, the admiral of the king's fleets, turned against Maegor as well, many of the great houses joined with him. Maegor's tyrannical reign could no longer be borne, and the realm rose up to end it. Unifying them all was the claim put forward by the young Prince Jaehaerys—Aenys and Alyssa's only remaining son, now all of fourteen years of age—and supported by the Lord of Storm's End whom Jaehaerys had named as Protector of the Realm and Hand of the King. When Queen Rhaena—whom Maegor had married after Aegon's death—learned of her brother's proclamation, she fled on her dragon, Dreamfyre, stealing Blackfyre away as her king and husband slept. Even two of the Kingsguard abandoned Maegor, joining Jaehaerys instead.

Rhaena is born in 23ac during the life span of Visenya. So maybe Visenya hatched the egg? Or its possible that Rhaena did. Visenya tried wedding Maegor to Rhaena but the faith opposed it for some reason even though they let Rhaeyra marry her uncle Daemon. Maegor also names her daughter by her brother Aegon as his heir. Showing Maegor to at least respect women more that most in this at least.

The World of Ice and Fire - The Targaryen Kings: Jaehaerys I

Though young to the throneJaehaerys revealed himself from an early age to be a true king. He was a fine warrior, skilled with lance and bow, and a gifted horseman. He was a dragonrider as well, riding upon Vermithor—a great beast of bronze and tan who was the largest of the living dragons after Balerion and Vhagar. Decisive in thought and deed, Jaehaerys was wise beyond his years, always seeking the most peaceable ends.

Jaehaerys 34ac is riding Vermithor with his sister 36ac, riding silverwing.  So all hatched within the life span of Visenya. There are a couple others like the Bloodwyrm/Ceraxes that may date from Visenya too but ill discuss them more in another thread possibly.

28/29ac- Visenya born- Some claimed that Visenya dabbled in dark sorceries and played with poisons.

0ac. Balerion from Valyria, and Meraxes and Vhagar from after doom on Dragonstone.

Vermithor is older than Dreamfyre. Vhagar and Balerion are older though.

7ac- Aenys given hatchling Quicksilver. Recently hatched so not hatched by Rhaenys.

Meraxes is dead by 10ac. Along with Rhaenys.

Rhaena born 23ac- Dreamfyre, younger than Vermithor?

Jaehaerys born 34ac- Vermithor.

36ac- Alysanne born- Silverwing.

37ac- Aegon I dies.

42ac- Aenys dies, son Aegon claims Quicksilver.

43ac-Maegor claims Baelerion. Maegor kills Aegon and QuickSilver.

44ac- Visenya dies.

So Rhaenys was alive long enough to hatch Quicksilver possibly. Vermithor, Silverwing, and Dreamfyre may also have been hatched by Rhaenys then too or Visenya. Visenya is the one who knows the dark arts, though it is Rhaenys line that carries on, as Maegor had no surviving children. So if it's something inherited in the blood then perhaps Rhaenys had it and passed it on down to Rhaenyra and Rhaenys the Queen who never was? 

Rhaenys body was never recoverd so not likely given to a funeral pyre. No other deaths around to see the eggs that are known around that time. 

So maybe it's simply blood magic and fyre needed to hatch dragon eggs?

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys IX

"Bring me … egg … dragon's egg … please …" Her lashes turned to lead, and she was too weary to hold them up.
When she woke the third time, a shaft of golden sunlight was pouring through the smoke hole of the tent, and her arms were wrapped around a dragon's egg. It was the pale one, its scales the color of butter cream, veined with whorls of gold and bronze, and Dany could feel the heat of it. Beneath her bedsilks, a fine sheen of perspiration covered her bare skin. Dragondew, she thought. Her fingers trailed lightly across the surface of the shell, tracing the wisps of gold, and deep in the stone she felt something twist and stretch in response. It did not frighten her. All her fear was gone, burned away.

At this point, the only person to be given over to the flames is Viserys with the molten gold. Which i assume they burned his body after but burned to death by gold im sure counts.

Edit-First mentions of Vermithor, Silverwing, and Dreamfyre come during the reign of Maegor, after death of Aenys I. Plus during Maegor's Reign, Maegor has 3 or 4 half dragon children. So possibly hatched later than Quicksilver? and seeded by Maegor's failed children?

I think Daenerys hatching three dragons, of which she can only ride and bond to one helps show the validity of females being the dragon hatchers and that Visenya was likely a dragon hatcher. That these figures are the ones who hatche them, while either, any of their family can ride them, or anyone can ride them. Hatching and birthing though is distinctly the females. 

There is no reason to believe that anybody but the dragon Quicksilver herself hatched the egg from which she sprung.

Dragons are egg-laying animals. Their hatchlings hatch from eggs the same way the offspring of all egg-laying animals do. There is nothing miraculous or mysterious about that.

You are also completely wrong on the time line. King Aenys was born in 7 AC, not in 37 AC.

How can you even make an mistake like that? Rhaenys, Aenys' mother, died in 10 AC, and Aenys became king in 37 AC, after the death of his father. Is King Aenys ever described as a married infant king, the father of six miracle children? Do we have any reason to believe the corpse of his mother gave birth to him 27 years after her death?

You also seem to suddenly confuse Quicksilver with Silverwing. 

26 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

There is no reason to believe that anybody but the dragon Quicksilver herself hatched the egg from which she sprung.

Dragons are egg-laying animals. Their hatchlings hatch from eggs the same way the offspring of all egg-laying animals do. There is nothing miraculous or mysterious about that.

You are also completely wrong on the time line. King Aenys was born in 7 AC, not in 37 AC.

How can you even make an mistake like that? Rhaenys, Aenys' mother, died in 10 AC, and Aenys became king in 37 AC, after the death of his father. Is King Aenys ever described as a married infant king, the father of six miracle children? Do we have any reason to believe the corpse of his mother gave birth to him 27 years after her death?

You also seem to suddenly confuse Quicksilver with Silverwing. 

Arrg, that's what i get typing late, punched in his date of rule on accident. Ill fix that. Does change a little as far as Aegon as that thought came later staring at my stupid mistake, but still worth looking at and posing questions into who hatched him. And yes, i can never keep F*cking track of their dragons lol least wise those two. Too close in name for me. I forget peoples names easily.

Though, despite my error, id have to completely go against your suggestion that the dragons just hatch them selves. That's like your not even reading the books. If it were just a matter of the dragons hatching them selves, then there would be nothing about them being stuck into peoples cradles, or people trying to use fire to hatch them. Serious? Aegon V's egg's weren't pertrified either so what's your story there?

Not meant to sound sarcastic either haha i know tone doesn't come across well always, Im legit trying to pin down this event and what may or may not be happening.

28 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

Though, despite my error, id have to completely go against your suggestion that the dragons just hatch them selves. That's like your not even reading the books. If it were just a matter of the dragons hatching them selves, then there would be nothing about them being stuck into peoples cradles, or people trying to use fire to hatch them. Serious? Aegon V's egg's weren't pertrified either so what's your story there?

The difference is that there was a time when there were living dragons around who procreated naturally, and then there was a time when all that were left were eggs of an extinct species.

The fact that the Targaryens in the days of Jaehaerys I and Viserys I began to give dragon eggs to their infants doesn't mean this was necessary to hatch them.

Aenys was given a hatchling, not an egg. And we know that six dragons hatched on Dragonstone during the later years of Aegon the Conqueror. There is no indication that people were involved in the hatching of those eggs - just as there is no reason to believe the wild dragons needed the help of mortals to hatch.

On 2/24/2018 at 3:49 PM, Lord Varys said:

The difference is that there was a time when there were living dragons around who procreated naturally, and then there was a time when all that were left were eggs of an extinct species.

The fact that the Targaryens in the days of Jaehaerys I and Viserys I began to give dragon eggs to their infants doesn't mean this was necessary to hatch them.

Aenys was given a hatchling, not an egg. And we know that six dragons hatched on Dragonstone during the later years of Aegon the Conqueror. There is no indication that people were involved in the hatching of those eggs - just as there is no reason to believe the wild dragons needed the help of mortals to hatch.

They don't sound like a wild species. Where are they indeginous to? Valyria? Asshai? Why not migratory like alot of birds?  If a wild species, then why did they all pretty much die with Valyria. Meaning all were on Valyria, other than the Targaryen ones. This does not sound like a wild species. 

And they were given eggs, but yes, we're not sure what prompted this, or prompted them to use fire. 

As i mention earlier, we dont even know what fresh eggs look like or that there are any. Maybe all dragon eggs are of stone. Old or new. Aerys II finds stone ones in Dragonstone, and they can't be older than 400 years and already turned to stone. Sounds a little off. Specially when Illyrio says the "ions" have turned Dany's to stone.

I mean, i wish it was as clean cut as you make it sound but i dont think it was really like that at all. There is a big divide of what is known and what is fact. Dragon horn for instance? Since when do Valyrians use horns? Name one. You'd think some one would have mentioned Aegon using a horn and some one trying to take said horn. 

And i missed that part about 6 being left behind in Aegon's time. Thank you :) Doing a search can still miss things. 

And no indication given, yet Visenya made dragonstone her home no? And she was a sorceress no? and that would account for 8 dragons in her life time no? Till the next surge near the Dance. I know i can name a few of those dragons. Vhagar, Meraxes, Quicksilver, Silverwing, Vermithor, Draemfyre and Ceraxes at least. And i would guess that Cannibal is the last one.  

The Princess and the Queen

“As does Aegon,” Lord Staunton pointed out.
“We have more,” said Princess Rhaenys, the Queen Who Never Was, who had been a dragonrider longer than all of them. “And ours are larger and stronger, but for Vhagar. Dragons thrive best here on Dragonstone.” 

There does seem to be something about this possibly. As, as you mention. 6 born on dragonstone before aegon passed plus Vhagar and Meraxes before.
What dragons were born off of Dragonstone? Possibly the last dragon. Which else? 
Other than Dany's.

I guess one important question i should ask you is, how do you think dragons came about?

Naturally in the wild?

Two moons?

Found in the Fourteen Flames?

Created by Wyverns and Firewyrms being mixed via skinchanging? Either by Valyria, or the Empire of the Dawn and passed on to the Valyrians via blood or knowledge?

Or some other as yet stated method?

Edit- To me the Bloodwyrm seems a good indication 

Archived