Rank your 2018 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Some shows' seasons on this list were viewed back-to-back, when such were available, so this means not necessarily when they first aired.

My viewing regret is that a way to view Succession has not come my way -- people who know me well, and know television well, say I would really like this.

The top  of the year for me, but not in any hierarchy of liking or enjoyment as they are separate sorts of genre:

Billions: seasons 1, 2 ,3 -- season 4 for sure coming

Last Kingdom: season 3 -- season 4 for sure coming

The Magicians: season 3 -- season 4 already up on SyFy, I think?

Bosch: seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 -- two more seasons certainly coming, as a season 6 got commissioned before season 5's shooting was completed

Grace and Frankie:  season 4 -- season 5 for sure coming

Versailles: season 2 -- third and final season coming; actually I think the Brits can watch it already?

Taboo: season 1 -- there is going to be a season 2 They Say, which is exciting as this was the most unexpected pleasure of the year, as the critics generally hated it.  It was only when BBC player kept it available that the general audience was able to find it, and got enthusiastic, so much so another season got commissioned.

Death in Paradise: season 7 -- season 8 is showing in the UK already? or not?

Orphan Black: season 5 -- final season evah for the Seestrahs!

Dear White People: season 2 -- season 3 coming

El Ministerio del Tiempo: seasons 1, 2, 3 -- no more of these, from which the US Travelers stole everything, just starting with the concept, so much stealing the courts found them guilty and they paid compensation -- and kept on doing it wot da hell

Beowulf: Return to the Shieldlands: season 1, the only season (2016) -- it was so thoroughly trashed by everyone, it disappeared immediately after first episode.  Really unfair because it is a great sword and sorcery adventure in the mode of Conan.  Forget the poem and history.

Prisoner of Zenda:  BBC miniseries, from way back in 1984

Las aventuras del capitán Alatriste: season 1 --with hour + episodes, and many of them, this single season covers quite a few of the novels from which they are adapted

27 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Some shows' seasons on this list were viewed back-to-back, when such were available, so this means not necessarily when they first aired.

My viewing regret is that a way to view Succession has not come my way -- people who know me well, and know television well, say I would really like this.

The top  of the year for me, but not in any hierarchy of liking or enjoyment as they are separate sorts of genre:

Billions: seasons 1, 2 ,3 -- season 4 for sure coming

Last Kingdom: season 3 -- season 4 for sure coming

El Ministerio del Tiempo: seasons 1, 2, 3 -- no more of these, from which the US Travelers stole everything, just starting with the concept, so much stealing the courts found them guilty and they paid compensation -- and kept on doing it wot da hell

Oh, I'm very interested in the Last Kingdom...

As for El Ministerio, there will be a 4th season!

This year I've not watched many shows. But probably the ones I've liked the most have been:

1.-Halt and Catch Fire. It finished in 2017, but watched it this January and loved it. Amazing story.

2.-Sharp Objects. A really interesting thriller journey.

4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh, I'm very interested in the Last Kingdom...

As for El Ministerio, there will be a 4th season!

The Last Kingdom is terrific, if you like that sort of historical fiction set in that era -- and I really do!  I'd hate to live there, well, probably I wouldn't have made it past birth -- but I love fiction located in that time and those geographies and cultures.

Nice to hear that El Ministerio is getting another season.  I wonder if Netflix will pick it up as they often don't pick up seasons of series for which they negotiated the previous ones, particularly those from outside the USA, for at least the USA market.  Dang.

The Americans season 6 – I think this is one of the best shows of recent times with many fascinating characters, and the final season was particularly good. The final couple of episodes were great, there were a lot of expectations after six seasons of build up but I think they actually exceeded my expectations.

Sharp Objects – another series with a great finale (particularly the last scene). It was a twisted but compelling thriller with some great acting from Amy Adams and the rest of the cast. It would have made a much better True Detective season 2 than the real season 2.

The Good Place seasons 2/3 – Perhaps the plot wasn’t as perfectly constructed as in the first season, but it’s still creative and very funny.

Westworld season 2 – I thought the best bits of this were up with the best TV on at the moment but the whole is perhaps a bit less than the sum of its parts. The overall narrative got a bit carried away with its own cleverness at times, but episodes like Kiksuya were great.

Jessica Jones season 2 – this wasn’t as immediately compelling as the first season, but I thought the plot got more interesting as it went along, even if I found the Trish addiction storyline tedious.

Altered Carbon – a bit of a mixed experience overall, it did succeed in translating some of the best scenes from the book and I liked the cast. However, the pacing was a bit slow at times and some of the plot decisions later in the story felt a bit muddled.

Legion season 2 – the creativity and imagination of this show is both a strength and a curse, things like the fight in the finale make most superhero duels look dull by comparison but this sometimes got a bit too weird for its own good, although I think the plot does work better in retrospect having seen the whole season.

Doctor Who season whatever – a confident start to the Chibnall era with Jodie Whittaker quickly making the lead role her own. It was consistently watchable and avoided many of the problems recent seasons have had, but only the Rosa Parks and Indian Partition episodes really stood out.

Bodyguard - a fairly run-of-the-mill thriller plot lifted up by some incredibly tense scenes.

Luke Cage season 2 – not as good as the first half of season 1 but far better than the second half. I feel this could have benefited from being shorter.

Killing Eve – the two lead actresses are great, and some of the individual scenes were very good but I didn’t find the overall story to be all that interesting.

Star Trek : Discovery season 1 – I enjoyed watching this, but I’m not sure I’d really say it was good, and the resolution of some plotlines was disappointing.

The Gifted seasons 1 / 2 – I like the idea of a X-Men show but the execution was average.

The Orville season 1 – the comedy is hit-and-miss, the show is better in its more serious moments.

Krypton – the setting is a nice contrast to most superhero shows, but the story isn’t anything special.

Agents of SHIELD season 5 – I’ve liked how the show has managed to reinvent the premise several times over the years but I think I’m losing interest in it now.

A Discovery of Witches season 1 – watched a few episode of this but the plot was very weak.

Top 5

Sharp Objects, Ozark, The Duece, Daredevil and Altered Carbon

Next 10, solid but have been better

Silicon Valley, WestWorld, Glow, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Survivor, Peaky blinders, Lost in Space, Big Bang Theory, Colony

4 more that were ok but not anything worth talking about

Young Sheldon, Jessica Jones, Fear the Walking dead, Mr In between

The dreck

Barry, seemed like a great premise but was just boring as shit

Maniac, again sounds great, and 1st ep was good but then all downhill

Iron Fist, watched 3 ep and haven't gone back

Nightflyers, got through 3 episodes and quit it

Vikings, still hanging with it but barely

1. The Americans season 6

2. Daredevil season 3

3. 12 Monkeys season 4.

4. The Good Place season 3

5. The 100 season 5

6. Agents of Shield season 5

7. Jack Ryan season 1

8. Brooklyn 99 season 5

9. Luke Cage season 2

10. A Series of Unfortunate Events season 2

11. Better Call Saul season 4

12. Westworld season 2

13. Iron Fist season 2

14. Jessica Jones season 2

15. Star Trek: Discovery season 1

16. Legion season 2.

Final list of the year. Added Outlander, which so far had a fine season, though it's not over yet. I'm also marking all the shows in red not returning next year, for one reason or another.

1. Daredevil - cancelled
  2. The Expanse - cancelled by SyFy, saved by Amazon; production began in September
  3. The Last Kingdom - renewed
  4. Travelers - fate unknown as end of 2018
  5. Westworld - going by the gap between seasons 1 & 2, I don't expect season 3 in 2019
  6. Altered Carbon - renewed
  7. Lost in Space - renewed
  8. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - renewed
  9. Cobra Kai - renewed
  10. Outlander - starting the year with the last remaining episodes of season 4; probably renewed
  11. Luke Cage - cancelled
  12. Iron Fist - cancelled
  13. Jessica Jones - returning for pretty much a final season
  14. The Man in the High Castle - renewed
  15. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan - renewed
  16. Bodyguard - fate unknown as end of 2018; season 1 had high ratings
  17. Legion - I've lost interest; this show is a chore to watch
  18. The Terror - apparently the one time thing is going to be an anthology, but I'm not interested
  19. Homeland - renewed for a final season
  20. The First - fate unknown as end of 2018
  21. Star Wars Rebels - ended
  22. iZombie - renewed for a final season
  23. Star Trek Discovery - renewed, starting in January
  24. Nightflyers - fate unknown as end of 2018
  25. Krypton - quit
  26. Troy: Fall of a City - one time thing; was bad anyway
  27. The Walking Dead - I've already quit
  28. The Gifted - I've lost interest
  29. Supergirl - season 4 is continuing in January; will see if I watch a season 5
  30. Black Lightning - already quit
  31. Designated Survivor - cancelled by ABC, saved by Netflix
  32. Arrow - season 7 is continuing in January; will see if I watch a season 8
  33. Britannia - quit
  34. The Flash - already quit
  35. Legends of Tomorrow - already quit

New list with several shows I've finished last week. I'm still halfway through some shows (Daredevil S3 and Runaways S2), but I'm adding them. Others will be added after the NYE. I'm just 2 episodes into S3 of The Last Kingdom, and haven't had the time to even see any of S4 of Outlander. I've also reshuffled the list a bit.

Shows I've added bolded.

The best:

1.       The Americans (S6)

2.       BoJack Horseman (S5)

3.       Sharp Objects

4.       Daredevil (S3) - I can already out it this high, if it keeps this quality it will at least remain at 4 or go to 3.

excellent:

5.       The Good Place (S2)

6.       The Alienist

Now there's a bunch of shows I enjoyed but I'm not sure how to rank. I changed my mind a few times. I decided to push The Expanse down because I've realized, even though it has a really good story,  worldbuilding and visuals, I remember very little of S3 - probably because of my low level of investment in the characters. I put a few shows above it that affected me more and were more memorable for me, though they also had some stuff that bothered me.

7.       Jessica Jones (S2)

8.       The 100 (S5)

9.       Dietland

10.    The Handmaid’s Tale (S2)

11.    The Expanse (S3)

12.    Killing Eve (S1) - fine but a bit overrated, there's too much hype about it

13.    Runaways (S1/S2) - it was on the list, much lower, because S1 ended this year. But having seen 6 episodes, I can already put it much higher. S2 is a big improvement.

14.    Black Lightning (S1/S2a) - OK with what it does, perfectly average. It's a good divider of the list of things I mostly liked and those I didn't like that much.

15.    Agents of SHIELD (S5) - everything after 5x14 was a huge disappointment. And S5 started so well.

16.    Cloak and Dagger (S1)

17.    South Park (S22) - not as good as the last season

18.    The Gifted (S1) - I've seen the first 3 episodes of season 2 as well, haven't had time for more

19.    Deception

really disappointing/bad stuff:

20.    Star Trek: Discovery (S1)

21.    Midnight, Texas (S2) - what a huge disappointment season 2 was. I loved season 1. Now i'm far less sad it's cancelled.

22.    The X-Files (S11)

Things I loved in a compulsive and fully immersive way:

Sharp Objects

Endeavour S4 (I think?)

Haunting of Hill House

A Series of Unfortunate Events S2

Things I enjoyed:

The Alienist

Westworld S2

Things I managed to finish but ultimately wasn't that fussed about either way:

Rain

Troy

A Discovery of Witches

TWD (urgh)

Things I could not even be arsed to finish:

Humans S2

The First

Things I would have watched IF they were available here:

The Terror

The Expanse S3

Things I was excited about but then lost all interest in and didn't even try to watch:

Altered Carbon

1. Gomorrah S3

2. Sharp Objects

3. The Haunting of Hill House

4. Westworld S2

5. Maniac

6. Killing Eve- This is a really solid show highlighted by the leads. It got a little predictable at times but I’m looking forward to see where it goes.

7. Narcos: Mexico

8. Better Call Saul

9. Castle Rock

10. AHS: Apocalypse 

So here's my final list for 2018. I rearranged some stuff from my previous post. All in all It was another great year for drama and comedy on TV. I remember back in the day being excited about all the NEW shows that came out each fall. Now there are so many shows I not only like but adore coming back in 2019 that I'm almost dreading discovering any NEW show. Hell, there are still shows that came out in 2018  I still need to watch--Legion, You're the Worst, Modern Family, an Always Sunny In Philadelphia come immediately to mind. Anyway, it's a long list, So I put everything after my Top 10 in a spoiler so as to not crowd the page. :)

1.       Ozark – S2

2.       Star Trek Discovery – S1

3.       Altered Carbon – S1

4.       Dare Devil – S3

5.       New Girl – S7

6.       End of the F*cking World - S1

7.       The Good Place – S2 & S3

8.       The Orville – S1

9.       The Terror - S1

10.     TIE: Mindhunter – S1 & South Park-- S22 (I know it's a bit of a cheat, but had to get SP-S22 in my  top 10 as it's an absolute gem of a season.)

11.     The Crown – S2

12.     Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – S2

13.     Star Wars Rebels – S4

14.     Agents of SHIELD – S5

15.     Handmaid’s Tale – S2

16.     Cloak & Dagger – S1

17.     American Vandal – S2

18.     The Toys That Made Us – S2

19.     GLOW – S2

20.     Barry S1

21.     West World - S2

22.     Jack Ryan – S1

23.     Orange Is The New Black – S6

24.     Trial & Error S1 & S2

25.     Forever –S1

26.     Atlanta – S2

27.     Making It – S1

28.     Lost in Space (2018) – S1

29.     Love – S3

30.     Letterkenny S1 & S2

31.     Better Call Saul – S4

32.     Fear The Walking Dead – S4

33.     The Tick (2017) – S1

34.     Jessica Jones – S2

35.     Last Man On Earth – S4

36.     Archer – S9

37.     Top of the Lake –S1

38.     Brooklyn Nine-Nine – S5

39.     Crashing – S2

40.     Everything Sucks! – S1

41.     Luke Cage – S2

42.     Peaky Blinders – S4

43.     Fear The Walking Dead – S3

44.     Evil Genius (Netflix docu-series)

45.     Mr. Robot – S3

46.     Norsemen – S1

47.     David Letterman, My Next Guest Needs No Introduction – S1

48.     Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee (2018)

49.     SNL 43

50.     Hot Ones (Youtube) – S6 & S7

51.     The Four S1 & S2

52.     Succession – S1

53.     Portlandia – S8

54.     The Walking Dead – S8

55.     Silicon Valley – S5

56.     Arrested Development – S5

57.     AP Bio – S1

58.     Mystery of Oak Island

59.     Marching Orders – S1

1. The Americans Season 6
  2. Daredevil Season 3
  3. The Handmaid's Tale Season 2
  4. Sense8 Finale
  5. Killing Eve Season 1
  6. The Expanse Season 3
  7. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 2
  8. Outlander Season 4
  9. This is Us Season 2
  10. The Good Fight Season 2
  11. Altered Carbon
  12. Jessica Jones Season 2
  13. Lost in Space Season 1
  14. The Chi Season 1
  15. Will & Grace Season 9
  16. Grey's Anatomy Season 14
  17. 13 Reasons Why Season 2
  18. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  19. Young Sheldon Season 1

The 2018 list will continue to be updated in the next couple of months. We really need 18-month-long years to get to watch everything we want. There are at least 5,6 TV shows I would like to watch from 2018.

That said, Mrs Maisel. As a huge fan of Palladino and her "Gilmore girls", I have always found Mrs Maisel intoxicating. The show is colorful in all the right ways, comical but when it's needed, it shakes you with the drama. My favorite scene this year was when...

Spoiler

Miriam returned from the tour and found the junk from Imogene's baby shower in the living room. Her mother coming in and telling her that it's her mess to clean

It was such a poignant moment when the harsh reality of Miriam's obligations clashed with her ambitions of becoming a comedienne. Not huge fan of Benjamin subplot, especially given the ending of the Season. It was all left unsaid. I wanted it to be concluded in much better way.

As for Outlander, it had its moments of brilliance this year. The more I think about John Grey and Claire clash, the better it looks. I enjoy the "American dream" segments of the show, showing the rustic life of North Carolina. Overall, it is rather strong season and as I understand, it is a remarkable improvement of what is considered, by some, very confusing elements and subplots in the books. Balfe looks incredibly beautiful this season, yes, she is a very pretty woman, but there is something about Claire this season that I find truly lovable. 

19 hours ago, Risto said:

...The 2018 list will continue to be updated in the next couple of months. We really need 18-month-long years to get to watch everything we want. There are at least 5,6 TV shows I would like to watch from 2018.

That said, Mrs Maisel. As a huge fan of Palladino and her "Gilmore girls", I have always found Mrs Maisel intoxicating. The show is colorful in all the right ways, comical but when it's needed, it shakes you with the drama. My favorite scene this year was when...

Reveal hidden contents

Miriam returned from the tour and found the junk from Imogene's baby shower in the living room. Her mother coming in and telling her that it's her mess to clean

It was such a poignant moment when the harsh reality of Miriam's obligations clashed with her ambitions of becoming a comedienne. Not huge fan of Benjamin subplot, especially given the ending of the Season. It was all left unsaid. I wanted it to be concluded in much better way...

Agreed, too much TV to get through in just 12 months. (Pump the brakes Netflix!)

Regarding The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: I really liked that scene you quoted in spoilers and agree it was poignant and elegant in its simplicity, but I'm not sure if it was my favorite scene of the season. Off the top of my head I'd give the prize to the scene in the S2E9 when Midge...

finally got her shot on live TV. The routine was solid as were the reactions from her parents. It felt like a truly earned character moment, and a pivitol one at that as we saw in the S2 finale.

I also agree things with Benjamin need to be addressed in S3.

I think he'd be understanding of that opportunity for her to tour. He obviously couldn't go with her because of his work, but I think his character could honestly go either way in accepting Midge's career commitments touring or in rejecting her because he'd know in marriage he'd always be second to her career. At the very least they deserve a scene to talk it out face to face in S3. Personally, I hope he sticks around. Joel isn't such an interesting character to me and I found myself getting a bit bored with him and his whining in S2. Levy is a great actor and I'd be more than happy to see Joel's time get cut in half for more Benjamin.

• 1 month later...

I finished season 3 of The Last Kingdom last night. It was the best season so far, by a large margin. In the first 2 seasons, I really liked the show, but I always felt it was too fast paced. You could really feel they were adapting 2 books in one 8 episode season, both times. Too many events, relationships developed too fast, so sometimes epic events did not have the right emotional weight. For instance,

Spoiler

Uthred loving and losing 3 women

over the course of season 1 was too much.

But season 3 was perfectly paced, and even though, apparently, it was again 2 books and not much higher number of episodes (10), it felt like one story. The big moments were much stronger - it certainly helped that so many of them were emotional payoffs and resolutions to many of the major relationships developed since season 1.

I'm also moving Daredevil up one place, because the previous ranking was made when I was just halfway through. Season 3 was amazing, even better than season 1, which I never thought would be possible.

1.       The Americans (S6)

2.       BoJack Horseman (S5)

3.       Daredevil (S3) 

4.       Sharp Objects

5.      The Last Kingdom (S3)

6.       The Good Place (S2)

7.       The Alienist

8.       Jessica Jones (S2)

9.       The 100 (S5)

10.       Dietland

11.    The Handmaid’s Tale (S2)

12.    The Expanse (S3)

13.     Runaways (S1/S2)

14.    Killing Eve (S1)

15.    Black Lightning (S1/S2a) 

16.    Agents of SHIELD (S5) 

17.    Cloak and Dagger (S1)

18.    South Park (S22)

19.    The Gifted (S1) - I've seen the first 3 episodes of season 2 as well, haven't had time for more

20.    Deception

21.    Star Trek: Discovery (S1) - but S2 has been much better and will be way higher on the 2019 list

22.    Midnight, Texas (S2) .

23.    The X-Files (S11)

Archived