A serious test of our right to speak at a public meeting being heard by the SCOTUS

Ser Scot A Ellison

Here’s the article:

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/27/586564094/the-curious-case-of-a-florida-man-who-called-politicians-corrupt-got-thrown-in-j?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180227

From the article:

Back in 2006, Lozman was not exactly a welcome sight for the Riviera Beach City Council. He had managed to scuttle their plans to convert the local public marina into a private one.

A transcript of a closed-door meeting in June of that year shows council members discussing tactics for dealing with Lozman, including the possibility of hiring a private investigator to turn the tables on the city's critic.

"I think it would help to intimidate," Council Chairperson Elizabeth Wade said, adding, "I think they should be questioned by some of our people ... so they can feel the same kind of unwarranted heat."

"Carry him out"

On Nov. 15, 2006, the dispute between Lozman and the City Council boiled over. During the public comment portion of an open meeting, Lozman decided to speak up.

"They were not in a very good mood," he recalls. "They realized they had to abandon their entire redevelopment plan. ... They were throwing in the towel that night, and that's when I got up to make my public comment, and the chairperson was just livid looking at me."

Lozman started out, "You're probably aware that the U.S. Attorney's Office has arrested the second corrupt local politician. This time it was former Palm Beach County Commissioner Tony Masilotti."

Chairperson Wade immediately interrupted him: "Fane Lozman, you have the right to say what you want to say publicly, but you will not stand up and go through that."

Lozman persisted, insisting that he had the right to speak. Wade summoned the police officer on duty to the podium and told Lozman to leave or be arrested.

When Lozman refused to leave, Wade told the officer to "carry him out."

Unsurprisingly, the Trump Administration is supporting the town.  If Government can arrest and detain us for what we say then the 1st Amendment is meaningless.  This is an important case.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m a tad frightened to see where this goes.

Agreed.  I don't have the legal knowledge to discuss this with any intelligence, but I know enough to pay attention to a decision on ths.

Archived