u.s. politics: abortive cure for labor pains

all swedes are racist

3 hours ago, unpaid comintern said:

“take the guns first, go through due process second”

lmao this guy is off his nut. someone at dnc better have recorded this clip to play in ads 24/7 in every race in 2018

There's no way the NRA abandons him over this. But it should totally be used against him since it should shift soft support away from him.

You can see how little he gives a shit about the gun issue here though. This is totally Law-And-Order President talk. (ie - his authoritarian leanings where he doesn't believe in the rule of law)

Also, in completely unsurprising news Kushner is hilariously corrupt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/jared-kushner-apollo-citigroup-loans.html?smid=tw-share

TLDR: Kusher meets with business people who then make huge loans to his floundering real estate firm right after the meetings.

Early last year, a private equity billionaire started paying regular visits to the White House.

Joshua Harris, a founder of Apollo Global Management, was advising Trump administration officials on infrastructure policy. During that period, he met on multiple occasions with Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, said three people familiar with the meetings. Among other things, the two men discussed a possible White House job for Mr. Harris.

The job never materialized, but in November, Apollo lent $184 million to Mr. Kushner’s family real estate firm, Kushner Companies. The loan was to refinance the mortgage on a Chicago skyscraper.

Even by the standards of Apollo, one of the world’s largest private equity firms, the previously unreported transaction with the Kushners was a big deal: It was triple the size of the average property loan made by Apollo’s real estate lending arm, securities filings show.

It was one of the largest loans Kushner Companies received last year. An even larger loan came from Citigroup, which lent the firm and one of its partners $325 million to help finance a group of office buildings in Brooklyn.

That loan was made in the spring of 2017, shortly after Mr. Kushner met in the White House with Citigroup’s chief executive, Michael L. Corbat, according to people briefed on the meeting. The two men talked about financial and trade policy and did not discuss Mr. Kushner’s family business, one person said.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/the-gop-might-finally-pay-a-price-for-its-pro-nra-extremism.html

Why the GOP Might Finally Pay a Price for Its Pro-NRA Extremism

The theater kids of Marjory Stoneman Douglas didn’t lace th reform with pieties about the Second Amendment, but with diatribes against the NRA’s blood money. They didn’t stick to poll-tested prescriptions like universal background checks (with no enforcement mechanism); they heartily applauded a ban on all semiautomatic weapons. In short: They did exactly what the DCCC begged its candidates not to do.

14 minutes ago, Shryke said:

There's no way the NRA abandons him over this. But it should totally be used against him since it should shift soft support away from him.

You can see how little he gives a shit about the gun issue here though. This is totally Law-And-Order President talk. (ie - his authoritarian leanings where he doesn't believe in the rule of law)

yes, to be clear this was my point, not that i expect the nra to disavow him or anything (extremely skeptical anything at all actually matierially enacted anyway) 

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Still absolutely cannot believe there hasn't been a real attempt to get rid of the special counsel.  Mueller now looking into Trump finances with Russia, the Miss Universe in Russia in 2013, and whether he knew about the hacking of the DNC.  Given that Trump has no problem with attacking norms why is he not attacking the one that's the most threatening to him?  

On another note, you know how a lot of people have said that Trump has sort of been subsumed by the GOP (tax cuts, judges)?  Well, while I do think that's true, it doesn't seem to be so true on foreign policy and the state department.  America really does seem to be pulling back from the world (in a way that Putin probably wants) but that the GOP didn't seem to want before Trump.  Interesting.

He did attempt to fire Mueller. He was talked down from doing so.

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Right, true.  The incident where McGahn (sp) threatened to quit.  But when that happened I was only so relieved because I suspected that the Mueller investigation was likely to go where it has since gone.  I just can't picture Trump sitting there and allowing it to go all the way to its conclusion.  Hence my confusion.

He'll let it go until it directly affects him or his family.  Well, I guess if Eric or Tiffany were indicted he might not care.

7 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Everytime I see a picture of Jared Kushner, I wish to punch him in the face.

It's not even that I dislike him, I barely know anything about him (well besides being Trump's advisor and son-in-law), but he has one of those faces.

Ted Cruz is still waaaaay more punchable.

Here's an article that is thoroughly summed up with the lede:

Donald Trump just lost his fifth White House communications director in his 13-month presidency, but the real communications chief remains: the president himself.

2.6 month average for comms!

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Have we really fallen this much in the eyes of the world? FIFA, the notoriously corrupt sports organization, who has awarded World Cups to Russia, a country that has invaded multiple countries in the last decade and is actively attacking Western democracies,  and Qatar, a country openly using slave labor to build their stadiums, is uneasy to give the World Cup to North America in 2026, which was thought to be a slam dunk a few years ago, because the world hates Trump that much.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3400487/united-states-led-2026-world-cup-bid-in-jeopardy-to-morocco-sources

Why would anyone organize a big fan event in a country that is bound to make it difficult if not impossible for fans to enter?

10 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

As much as the stoner in me wants him gone, I kinda hope Sessions stays. I have this little fantasy that Elizabeth Warren will be #46 (or maybe #47 depending on how Muller's investigation plays out...) and get to personally fire Sessions after she finishes reading a certain letter. I dream though, I dream...

I think you're way too stoned.  And even if you weren't, Sessions as AG is a net negative each and every day.  And even beyond that, it's not the incoming president "fires" the outgoing Cabinet.  I mean I suppose you could put it that way, but it's pretty juvenile.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I only said such a clearly outlandish thing in an attempt at being humorous, as it's a way of coping with extremely unpleasant realities. Didn't think I had to explain that because it was obvious but there ya go.

Sorry.  You should know I take things very seriously in the AM.  And when it comes to elves.  You can't fuck around with these people.

Archived