u.s. politics: abortive cure for labor pains

all swedes are racist

last thread at 400

carrying over from nascent discussion of janus; west virgina public sector employees win a preliminary victory in the battle for better wages

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/27/589376887/west-virginia-teachers-ending-strike

though the pessimist in me sees this as the last raise (if it even goes through) they will see in our lifetime :(

unpaid comintern said:

this will (and i have no doubt they will soon hand down a 5-4 decision in favor of Janus) essentially making right-to-work the law of the land. yall may cry about the norms and “way its done”s trump wipes his ass with, but this is the type of shit that actually kills america

Having experienced a job loss because of these laws, this is really is horrible.  So called 'at will' means that the employee or employer can separate at any time for any or no reason.  So I was 'released' with any documentation, counseling or even knowing my job was in jeopardy.   I had been working there for 10 years  and that did not help me.  These laws are the worst.

edt; basically, employees have zero rights with these laws.  That of course, is the point.

The Party of Business Strikes again!

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/

Despite the Republican promise that their tax bill would supercharge the economy, orders for capital goods fell after the bill passed:

So orders fell.

It takes time to install new capital.

And, yet, yet, certain bullshit artist are running around claiming they have increased worker wages because of the corporate tax cuts. Yeah, okay.

57 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

He directly accused Scott of delaying any (minimal) action on guns until right before the election he's gonna be in vs Neilson for Senate

Thanks for the explanation. Can I request that you do similar summaries in the future rather than the bizarre throwaway lines that make no sense to anyone who wasn't watching or listening to the exact same thing you were at the exact same time?

39 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Dick's Sporting Goods will no longer sell assault gats or extended mags.

How about that!?!

It's a step in the right direction, as is their decision not to sell to anyone under 21.

Arguably it's baby steps, but definitely steps going in the right direction.

13 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Thanks for the explanation. Can I request that you do similar summaries in the future rather than the bizarre throwaway lines that make no sense to anyone who wasn't watching or listening to the exact same thing you were at the exact same time?

This forum just wouldn't be the same. You ask too much of Pony. 

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

He directly accused Scott of delaying any (minimal) action on guns until right before the election he's gonna be in vs Neilson for Senate

*Nelson

And expect that to be the norm going forward. Republicans in blue and purple districts/states will propose modest legislative fixes to America’s gun problem and rely on the public’s apathy and/or red district/states Republicans to kill the bills.

Nothing is going to happen that will be significant, which means business will still be booming in the ER for you.

@Ormond

Well, unfortunately that particular characteristic of his is much more common than many of his other faults:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/head-in-the-cloud/201701/the-dunning-kruger-president

:)

We talked about this before, maybe a year or so ago. I believe Kalbear and I were discussing if Trump was merely narcissistic or if he suffered from narcissistic personality disorder, and you weighed in, though I can’t remember your opinion, and I took it a step further and said that he also showed signs of ADD/ADHD, sadism and the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Trump is absolutely a collage of personality defects IMO.

@Fragile Bird

I know the Israeli government has been famous for ruthlessly looking after itself, but Jared Kushner is Jewish. Meaningless, yes, but it still ....surprises is the wrong word...more like, leaves me breathless.

The fact that Jared is Jewish is not what makes this story interesting. It’s the fact that Jared’s family is really close to Netanyahu. So close that he once slept in Jared’s bed. It makes me wonder if Bibi knows that Jared is an easy mark.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is so close with Jared Kushner’s family that he once slept in Kushner’s childhood bedroom, according to a New York Times profile of Kushner. (Kushner, then a teenager, slept in the basement that night.)

Kushner, U.S. President Donald Trump’s adviser and son-in-law, will convene with Netanyahu and Trump in a much-anticipated meeting about the U.S.-Israel relationship on Wednesday of this week.

For Kushner, it will be also be a reunion with a close family associate. Kushner’s father, Charles Kushner, had a personal relationship with the Israeli prime minister. Netanyahu visited Charles Kushner, a real estate mogul, in his office and also spent time at a Jewish school financed by the family. Netanyahu even included Charles Kushner on a list of wealthy American Jews likely to contribute to the Likud primary elections a few years ago, reported the New York Times.

Read more: https://forward.com/fast-forward/362898/when-bibi-slept-in-jared-kushners-bed/

https://forward.com/fast-forward/362898/when-bibi-slept-in-jared-kushners-bed/

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Dick's Sporting Goods will no longer sell assault gats or extended mags.

How about that!?!

It is progress, as long as it sticks. Apparently they suspended selling this style of weapons after Sandy Hook as well. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/other/dicks-sporting-goods-selling-assault-rifles-again-new-store-chain-f6C10964008

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Ormond

:)

We talked about this before, maybe a year or so ago. I believe Kalbear and I were discussing if Trump was merely narcissistic or if he suffered from narcissistic personality disorder, and you weighed in, though I can’t remember your opinion, and I took it a step further and said that he also showed signs of ADD/ADHD, sadism and the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Trump is absolutely a collage of personality defects IMO.

Well, the point I was trying to make about the Dunning-Kruger effect is that it is by itself NOT indicative of any "personality defect" but is entirely normal for most people who have a "little knowledge" about a topic. The D-K effect proves that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is one of those platitudes that really does have a lot of truth to it.

The problem with Trump's narcissism is that he ends up believing he doesn't have to study anything in depth to understand it, so the D-K effect applies to many more issues in life for him than it does for the average person. 

Have we really fallen this much in the eyes of the world? FIFA, the notoriously corrupt sports organization, who has awarded World Cups to Russia, a country that has invaded multiple countries in the last decade and is actively attacking Western democracies,  and Qatar, a country openly using slave labor to build their stadiums, is uneasy to give the World Cup to North America in 2026, which was thought to be a slam dunk a few years ago, because the world hates Trump that much.

More recently, however, the North American bid has had to counter an anti-American sentiment that stems largely from actions taken by President Donald Trump's administration, multiple sources said. Those actions include a travel ban affecting mostly Arab countries, public comments that perpetuate stereotypes and the reported use of profanity in describing poorer countries.

When North American bid officials visit with federation officials in a foreign country, they rarely get questions about stadiums or hotels, according to sources; rather, they have been quizzed about whether the United States can be considered a friendly place for foreigners.

That is why the North American bid -- which Gulati's successor Carlos Cordeiro has made a top priority after being elected the new USSF president -- is trying as much as possible to stress the Canadian and Mexican involvement. The United States will host the vast majority of the games if the bid wins, but organizers are pushing the notion that their bid is about unity -- a concept they believe is critical in the current global environment.

Asked about how the Trump administration has affected the canvassing for votes, Gulati would not address any individual circumstance but said, "All three countries' governments, at the highest level, have been very supportive of the joint bid and the desire to bring the World Cup to North America."

"The partnership between the three countries is an extremely important part of our story," he added, "especially given what is going on in many parts of the world."

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3400487/united-states-led-2026-world-cup-bid-in-jeopardy-to-morocco-sources

Archived