u.s. politics: abortive cure for labor pains

all swedes are racist

10 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah.  There's been consistent chatter since the Porter scandal that Trump felt she demonstrated disloyalty.  That seems to be Trump's bugaboo.  I imagine her resignation has more to do with that than testifying to Congress, which you don't get out of by resigning.

I agree. That's my read too. The Porter situation likely set this in motion. Can't imagine Trump loved the idea of his eye candy banging out his other eye candy while at the same time defending him in a manner that made Trump look terrible.

28 minutes ago, unpaid comintern said:

“take the guns first, go through due process second”

lmao this guy is off his nut. someone at dnc better have recorded this clip to play in ads 24/7 in every race in 2018

Are we about to break the tall cool glass of Ice Tea as we watch Trump and the NRA go at it?

6 hours ago, Ormond said:

Well, the point I was trying to make about the Dunning-Kruger effect is that it is by itself NOT indicative of any "personality defect" but is entirely normal for most people who have a "little knowledge" about a topic. The D-K effect proves that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" is one of those platitudes that really does have a lot of truth to it.

The problem with Trump's narcissism is that he ends up believing he doesn't have to study anything in depth to understand it, so the D-K effect applies to many more issues in life for him than it does for the average person. 

Oh I 100% agree. I just wanted to highlight some of his other potential maladies and discuss how they interact and make the D-K effect even worse for Trump.

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Why don't we keep things simple and just refer to Trump as the lying idiot. Doesn't that encompass his many personality faults?

It's fine if you want to do that, but I think it leaves one with an incomplete picture of Trump's personality.

Also, Ormond is a psychology professor and one of my degrees is in psychology, so we're inclined to discuss these issues through that prism.  

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ty, I think I knew that, somewhere in the back of my mind. Which is why it felt so weird, so particularly cold, to hear the story.

I think it just speaks to Bibi's personality, assuming I'm right. Reading about his political background can make your skin crawl. 

27 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wait, did Trump just tell the NRA to go fuck themselves?

Yes. I'm just started reading a recap of the meeting, and good god, saying it went of the rails quickly is an understatement:

President Donald Trump took a hammer to Republicans' usual talking points Wednesday, suggesting authorities skirt “due process” to seize guns from people who pose a public safety risk and accusing GOP lawmakers of being too “afraid” to stand up to the National Rifle Association.

During a meeting with a bipartisan group of lawmakers on school safety, Trump said there’s “no bigger fan” of the NRA than himself.

But he told Sen. Pat Toomey the lawmaker was "afraid of the NRA" because a bill the Pennsylvania Republican introduced in 2013 didn't address raising the minimum age to buy certain weapons.

And Trump said he would prefer to move quickly to seize guns from people who could pose a danger.

"A lot of times, by the time you go to court, it takes so long to go to court to get the due process procedures," Trump said. “Take the guns first, go through due process second."

In the wide-ranging televised discussion, Trump also suggested an NRA-backed proposal to extend people's rights to carry concealed weapons was dead in the water politically and called for a more “comprehensive” measure on background checks for firearm sales than GOP lawmakers have offered so far.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/28/trump-guns-nra-gop-pat-toomey-430782

Looks like the jokes on the gun lovers who supported Trump because he would unilaterally protect their second amendment rights. 

I think it's worth noting that before Trump and his personal political reversal, he was a strong supporter of gun control. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think it just speaks to Bibi's personality, assuming I'm right. Reading about his political background can make your skin crawl. 

One of my father's friends, who was in Boston academia in the 70s and 80s, recalls Bibi as a grad student, and described him as a callow asshole. I wish I'd pressed him for stories before he passed.

Y'all thinking that the NRA isn't happy to take guns from mentally ill people or black people like that's a thing. They still didn't protest Philando Castile getting shot; what makes you think they'll stop slobbing Trump's knob?

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes. I'm just started reading a recap of the meeting, and good god, saying it went of the rails quickly is an understatement:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/28/trump-guns-nra-gop-pat-toomey-430782

Looks like the jokes on the gun lovers who supported Trump because he would unilaterally protect their second amendment rights. 

I think it's worth noting that before Trump and his personal political reversal, he was a strong supporter of gun control. 

And the fools thought Obama was coming for their guns. Who needs due process? 

23 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

That's what I was wondering. I'm not sure if I WANT to watch that though. That's going to be some crazy shit.

Nah. Trump will back down, Sanders will say he didn't mean it and in a few days, everyone will forget he said it. We've seen this movie before.

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Y'all thinking that the NRA isn't happy to take guns from mentally ill people or black people like that's a thing. They still didn't protest Philando Castile getting shot; what makes you think they'll stop slobbing Trump's knob?

a gun confiscated today is a new gun bought tomorrow

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

One of my father's friends, who was in Boston academia in the 70s and 80s, recalls Bibi as a grad student, and described him as a callow asshole. I wish I'd pressed him for stories before he passed.

I recall you mentioning that before. Most of the stories I've heard about him are pretty negative. 

15 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It's the “Take the guns first, go through due process second." that's going to drive them nuts. It also shows the NRA that Trump's full of it when he says there isn't a stronger supporter of the NRA than him. 

Who's ready for a public pissing match between Trump and LaPierre?

Archived