Gun Control: The Tree Of Liberty Must Be Refreshed From Time To Time With The Blood Of Children And Innocents

11 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

There is an active shooter loose on a college campus 45 minutes from where I live (2 people reported killed), and all public schools even in my town are on lockdown. Would hate to think this is the new normal, but there you go.

I hope not either, becoming desensitized to it is the worst.

6 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

There is an active shooter loose on a college campus 45 minutes from where I live (2 people reported killed), and all public schools even in my town are on lockdown. Would hate to think this is the new normal, but there you go.

In the previous thread, or maybe a US Politics thread, I said that shooters at US schools have basically been either students or a husband/boyfriend looking for revenge on an ex, some kind of family dispute. I understand this was a really sad situation where a 19 year old shot his parents who came to pick him up for spring break. A student and a family dispute. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

In the previous thread, or maybe a US Politics thread, I said that shooters at US schools have basically been either students or a husband/boyfriend looking for revenge on an ex, some kind of family dispute. I understand this was a really sad situation where a 19 year old shot his parents who came to pick him up for spring break. A student and a family dispute. 

Another interesting trend is that these shootings tend to happen in suburban areas. I don't think many have happened in urbanized areas. 

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Another interesting trend is that these shootings tend to happen in suburban areas. I don't think many have happened in urbanized areas. 

Half of America lives in the suburbs and probably an even bigger proportion of high school age students live there.

High schools and universities are two different categories. Shootings at colleges and universities have not been particularly "suburban" -- but probably a higher percentage of colleges and universities are located in either big cities or in smaller college towns instead of "suburbs".

On 3/2/2018 at 5:10 PM, Fragile Bird said:

AFAIK domestic violence has a huge correlation with these shootings.

Oh boy, apparently gun deaths in the US drop when responsible gun owners are away visiting the NRA convention every year. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/when-nra-members-meet-for-convention-gun-injuries-fall.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s3&utm_campaign=sharebutton-t

But the most devastating rebuttal of the NRA’s prescription for public safety may be this new finding from the New England Journal of Medicine: Whenever roughly 80,000 of America’s model gun owners abandon their communities to assemble for the NRA’s annual convention, our nation’s gun injury rate (briefly) plummets by nearly 20 percent.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/3/2/17070662/nra-convention-gun-injury-rates

If that were the case, the researchers expected that the gun injury rate would hold stable or even rise during NRA conventions, when thousands of very experienced and heavy gun users were holed up in meetings.

Instead, they found the opposite seemed to be true: The gun injury rate actually fell by nearly 20 percent nationwide during NRA conventions. More precisely, on convention dates, the national gun injury rate was 1.2 per 100,000 — compared to 1.5 per 100,000 during the control dates. In the states hosting the conventions, the drop was even more dramatic — from 1.9 to 0.7 per 100,000.

On 3/2/2018 at 5:10 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, it was his parents. They suspect drugs ...or something. They did capture him early Saturday morning, so everything has returned to a state of normal here.

Going through the comments in the local news channels, it is amazing how many people are willing to blame gun free zones, Jesus free schools, justice free courts and a bunch of other stuff but not guns. Occam's razor would tell you what the common denominator is.

Its also frustrating in these debates because everyone brings up Chicago and its strict gun laws that are seemingly of no use. Nothing exists in a vacuum and we cant make causation conclusions from looking at just Chicago.

6 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yes, it was his parents. They suspect drugs ...or something. They did capture him early Saturday morning, so everything has returned to a state of normal here.

Going through the comments in the local news channels, it is amazing how many people are willing to blame gun free zones, Jesus free schools, justice free courts and a bunch of other stuff but not guns. Occam's razor would tell you what the common denominator is.

Its also frustrating in these debates because everyone brings up Chicago and its strict gun laws that are seemingly of no use. Nothing exists in a vacuum and we cant make causation conclusions from looking at just Chicago.

Chicago just illustrates that gun control needs to be addressed at a national level, the local level doesn't work if your neighbors aren't following the same rules.

2 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

http://time.com/5180537/gun-control-donald-trump-meeting/

Basically the article argues that the NRA has been supporting new measures for gun control because the election of Trump has so reassured gun enthusiasts that it threatens to bring the gun manufacturers to bankruptcy.

Hmm... well every cloud has a silver lining. At least one good thing has happened since Drumpf's triumph.

14 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Ah, the perpetual myth that the NRA primarily serves the interests of gun manufacturers, rather than gun owners. Because it is easier to demonize them then. "Protecting the big bad corporations!" sounds so much more villainous than "Protecting the rights of millions of ordinary gun owning Americans."

No, it's actually what happened to the NRA.  And I don't even need the corporate angle to attack the NRA, watch:

The NRA, protecting the rights of gun owners to play with their lethal toys in exchange for classrooms filled with dead children.  

Easy.

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

No, it's actually what happened to the NRA.  And I don't even need the corporate angle to attack the NRA, watch:

The NRA, protecting the rights of gun owners to play with their lethal toys in exchange for classrooms filled with dead children.  

Easy.

Disappointingly predictable.

46 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I'm so afraid and insecure that a scary brown person might kill me that I need a hard, well-oiled, loaded gun in my pants to make me feel like a man.  

And I will defend the right to do so at the cost of other people's lives.

See I can do this all day.

Why are Americans so scared in their every day lives compared to people from other nations?

Just now, lessthanluke said:

Why are Americans so scared in their every day lives compared to people from other nations?

I wish I knew.  Maybe some kind of creeping suspicion at the back of the mind that our ancestors didn't actually earn the economic windfalls of colonialism.  I think scared people are terrified of the idea that maybe they didn't earn their place in life.  It's all tied into to the boot-strapping individualist shit too.  The idea that we all may actually be part of a society where your actions have consequences for others is truly horrifying to them.  

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Disappointingly predictable.

You can't have it both ways here: first you say (effectively) that it's disappointingly predictable that critics attack the NRA as a corporate shill because it's easier than attacking gun owners, then you say that it's disappointingly predictable when someone does the reverse. 

Your position more honestly appears to be 'I'm tired of hearing the NRA criticised'. Which is your right. But these criticisms are valid, and if they're made often, it's because nothing is done to address them. The NRA's current efforts at PR appear based on antagonising and threatening people, rather than projecting an image of those they represent (or gun owners in general, which is not at all the same thing) as responsible, upstanding members of society. 

Your time would be better spent writing to the NRA and asking them to behave like adults. 

Archived