NCAA Basketball 2017: In the March of Madness

Ded As Ned

Just now, RedEyedGhost said:

Seriously Rhom?  That don't mean shit if you've missed the tournament twice in the timeframe.  

Give me this one REG.

Well, finished the first night 12/16, and with the consolation that every team I guessed wrong I predicted that they'd get knocked off in the next round, so no bracket busters.

Tomorrow is the first test for my riskiest bet, that New Mexico State can beat Clemson and Auburn. Also counting on West Virginia to make it through a couple of rounds.

What is the biggest chance everyone took in their bracket?

2 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Well, finished the first night 12/16, and with the consolation that every team I guessed wrong I predicted that they'd get knocked off in the next round, so no bracket busters.

Tomorrow is the first test for my riskiest bet, that New Mexico State can beat Clemson and Auburn. Also counting on West Virginia to make it through a couple of rounds.

I... ummm... have Michigan winning it.

:leaving: 

30 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I have 3 brackets going in various places that I can’t keep straight, but in one or another I have NMSU in the Sweet Sixteen, South Dakota State in the Sweet Sixteen (RIP), Arizona in the Final Four (RIP), and Michigan in the final.  

I should have known better about Arizona.  I got spooked on UVa’s injury and jumped on the bandwagon.  I also thought that the PAC 12 has been kind of an afterthought this year and it wouldn’t have surprised me if Arizona made a deep run to redeem the west coasters.  Guess not.  Never again, Arizona!

And @Rhom, dude, I have been a WVU fan for 33 years.  You don’t make it that long as a Mountaineer fan without realizing that, no matter what the odds, WVU could either win or lose just about any given game in both football and basketball regardless of the strength of the opponent or circumstances surrounding the contest.  Therefore, I am highly superstitious and you aren’t going to be able to bait me into making a jinx proclamation that WVU will beat the Racers tomorrow!  They, uh, well.. they might beat them.  But they also might not.   :uhoh:

Since Carter and Miles were both on the team that lost to SFA in the first round 2 years ago, I am hoping that the team knows that you better ball out from start to finish in the tournament or your ass gets sent packing.  And sometimes even that isn’t enough.  Just hoping that Buffalo and Loyola already cashed in all the Cinderella mojo, though I’m sure a couple more surprises will be in store.

So I got to see Tenn-WrSt, Loyola-Miami, TT-SFA and Florida-StBon. 2 out of 4 good ones ain't bad. The Loyola game was fucking great. I think that's the first buzzer-beater I've seen live and it was awesome(we'll forget about the 0.3 ticks they put back on the clock after the shot).

The Texas Tech crowd that came in for that game was actually really wild, I was not expecting that. They were going bonkers the entire time. That 360 oop was nuts too.  I also saw a bunch of Tech fans try to order beer, look flummoxed when told no alcohol is served and then walk straight out of the arena. Fucking noob fans :P . Although I do remember going through the same thing when I was in my early 20's and being seriously sour about it.

And I shockingly went 4-4 betting my games and 6-6 on the day(Rhode Island and Kentucky with the close ones). I'll lose it all tomorrow but I'll take it. 

Arizona getting blitzed... good times.

I just realized that in addition to all this school pride, I've also got a whole regional pride thing going on. Between Buffalo, Syracuse, and St. Bonaventure, it was the basketball mecca that is upstate New York that knocked out the PAC12.

I'm not that worried about Kentucky either, it's all just house money at this point. No matter what happens Saturday I'll be happy. Though hopefully all 40 minutes go as well as the first 20 minutes the last time we played Kentucky (we were up 38-33 at the half against the 2014/15 Kentucky team that was undefeated until dropping in the Final Four).

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

I... ummm... have Michigan winning it.

:leaving: 

Hey, hopefully it's just one rough game and they'll play up to form after this. Good luck! :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, S John said:

I have 3 brackets going in various places that I can’t keep straight, but in one or another I have NMSU in the Sweet Sixteen, South Dakota State in the Sweet Sixteen (RIP), Arizona in the Final Four (RIP), and Michigan in the final.  

I should have known better about Arizona.  I got spooked on UVa’s injury and jumped on the bandwagon.  I also thought that the PAC 12 has been kind of an afterthought this year and it wouldn’t have surprised me if Arizona made a deep run to redeem the west coasters.  Guess not.  Never again, Arizona!

And @Rhom, dude, I have been a WVU fan for 33 years.  You don’t make it that long as a Mountaineer fan without realizing that, no matter what the odds, WVU could either win or lose just about any given game in both football and basketball regardless of the strength of the opponent or circumstances surrounding the contest.  Therefore, I am highly superstitious and you aren’t going to be able to bait me into making a jinx proclamation that WVU will beat the Racers tomorrow!  They, uh, well.. they might beat them.  But they also might not.   :uhoh:

Since Carter and Miles were both on the team that lost to SFA in the first round 2 years ago, I am hoping that the team knows that you better ball out from start to finish in the tournament or your ass gets sent packing.  And sometimes even that isn’t enough.  Just hoping that Buffalo and Loyola already cashed in all the Cinderella mojo, though I’m sure a couple more surprises will be in store.

That's some tough luck there with a couple of your picks. Good luck with your racers, I'm rooting for them, but man am I nervous about both that and my pick for New Mexico State to go to Sweet 16. Also hoping I didn't overrate Gonzaga by picking them to get to the Elite 8 by knocking off OSU and Xavier. Fingers crossed on it all, especially WVU and NMSU.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

So I got to see Tenn-WrSt, Loyola-Miami, TT-SFA and Florida-StBon. 2 out of 4 good ones ain't bad. The Loyola game was fucking great. I think that's the first buzzer-beater I've seen live and it was awesome(we'll forget about the 0.3 ticks they put back on the clock after the shot).

The Loyola thing really was awesome. I had predicted them to pull off the upset so I tuned in to the stream just before that sequence with the missed free throw and the 3 pointer to watch the end, and it was as sweet a moment as anytime where I've been rooting for one of my teams and they pulled off something great. 

And busted on day one. I had AZ making it to the Final Four. 

25 minutes ago, Fez said:

I just realized that in addition to all this school pride, I've also got a whole regional pride thing going on. Between Buffalo, Syracuse, and St. Bonaventure, it was the basketball mecca that is upstate New York that knocked out the PAC12.

I'm not that worried about Kentucky either, it's all just house money at this point. No matter what happens Saturday I'll be happy. Though hopefully all 40 minutes go as well as the first 20 minutes the last time we played Kentucky (we were up 38-33 at the half against the 2014/15 Kentucky team that was undefeated until dropping in the Final Four).

Your school can go to hell!

Missed on all my upset picks yesterday, hoping for better luck in today's games. No bracket disasters thus far (SFA as a Cinderella pick is my only Sweet 16 misstep after the first day). Very uncertain of the Zags now after their shaky showing. That final four pick is looking tenuous. 

Got a lot riding on College of Charleston vs. Auburn today, as I also have them in the Sweet 16. :lol:  

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

The Texas Tech crowd that came in for that game was actually really wild, I was not expecting that. They were going bonkers the entire time. That 360 oop was nuts too.  I also saw a bunch of Tech fans try to order beer, look flummoxed when told no alcohol is served and then walk straight out of the arena. Fucking noob fans :P . Although I do remember going through the same thing when I was in my early 20's and being seriously sour about it.

And I shockingly went 4-4 betting my games and 6-6 on the day(Rhode Island and Kentucky with the close ones). I'll lose it all tomorrow but I'll take it. 

Arizona getting blitzed... good times.

What venue was that that didn’t have beer?  Or is that an NCAA tournament rule or something? I watched the Texas Tech game but didn’t pay attention to the venue other than that it was in Dallas. 

Some of the Big 12 venues serve alcohol at games.  Texas and West Virginia do for sure, maybe Tech does as well and that’s why the TTU fans were flustered.  

I think it's kind of funny that my bracket is more or less the same every year.  I pick a second tier, but still good team to be a champ, usually one of the stronger 2 or 3 seeds.  I pick a few upsets in the first round, but almost always have a very boring elite 8 featuring at least six 1 or 2 seeds.   I'm just going on the logic that for my ~30 person office pool I want to pick a plausible champion that no one else will pick, and then just making boring picks beyond that so that if my champ wins, I will be guaranteed a victory.  It hasn't come through yet in ten years of picking, although I have come pretty close. 

Go Cincy!

Archived