NCAA Basketball 2017: In the March of Madness

Ded As Ned

7 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

It seems like it hasn't gained any steam in the national media yet, but Pitt hasn't even been able to get rid of Stallings properly yet. Apparently they decided to lowball him a buyout of $4.8M against the $9M that was in his contract or else they were going to fire him with cause. But the cause they are going with is him saying to Louisville fans in January that were harassing his players "At least we don't pay our players $100,000." So he has declined and dug in for a fight, arguing that is not even remotely enough to merit getting fired for cause, which of course is correct. If these things are true, and that's what is being reported so far here, Pitt has botched this royally, and it should send a giant red flag up to any coach who would consider taking over at Pitt.

Uconn is going through a similar situation, but using the recent NCAA inquiry as an excuse for "just cause". Basically they don't wanna pay the full $10 million owed so they're gonna do this and hopefully Ollie will take a buyout that's much cheaper than the 10 owed. Just a shit show all around. 

UVA gets completely hosed. #1 overall seed, and will be playing Kentucky or Arizona in the sweet 16.

Also, Syracuse is the least deserving team in the history of the field by a mile. Just embarrassing that they're in.

10 minutes ago, Triskele said:

And I think that Alabama had 15 losses?

ETA:  And yeah, Syracuse with an RPI of 45 to USC's 33 and a record of 20-13 to USC's 23-11.

Wow. 8-10 in the SEC with a recent 5 game losing streak. Wtf?

Syracuse and ASU getting in over USC is a travesty.  There's always at least one, and this year that's it.  

And UK playing in Boise?  WTF?  Not to mention our loaded side of the bracket with 'Zona and Virginia.  If by some miracle we make it past those two, I like our chances against the other side of the region.  Not holding my breath tho. 

Haven't had a chance to look over the entire field yet, gotta turn in.

ETA:  It will be amusing to watch BBN descend on poor Boise though.  I'm not sure they're prepared.

Notre Dame, USC, Nebraska, Penn St. all not in.

Wisconsin missing the tourney for the first time since the 1997-98 season....

Big Ten only sending the Buckeyes, Boilermakers, a streaking Wolverine squad and Sparty.

I'm pulling for Sparty, but i'll be happy for any Big Ten teams advancing. Outside of Big Ten teams i'd be cool with a Xavier or Cincinatti getting some accolades.

Penn-KU is the game to watch in the annual "will a 16 beat a 1" seed. Penn is closer to a typical 13-14 seed than a 16, and Kansas is closer to a typical 3 seed than a 1. Still unlikely to happen, but a less lopsided matchup than you usually see in 1-16 games.

10 hours ago, sperry said:

Penn-KU is the game to watch in the annual "will a 16 beat a 1" seed. Penn is closer to a typical 13-14 seed than a 16, and Kansas is closer to a typical 3 seed than a 1. Still unlikely to happen, but a less lopsided matchup than you usually see in 1-16 games.

I don’t know, I watched Penn and Harvard yesterday and got the vibe that either team would be destroyed by any major conference contender.  

10 minutes ago, S John said:

I don’t know, I watched Penn and Harvard yesterday and got the vibe that either team would be destroyed by any major conference contender.  

Kansas is still likely to win big. https://kenpom.com/  Penn probably should have been a 13 or 14. Kansas should have been a 2 or a 3.  If a 1 ever beats a 16, that is how it's going to happen.

Archived