Why Bran didn't go to hunt?

Kandrax

My guess is, there's a difference between looking at something and stalking through the woods in search of dangerous prey that can kill you. On horseback or not. Remember, Robert was big on boars, and a boar is one of the most lethal killing machines in the forest. Why would anyone want to subject a 6 year old to that kind of danger?

1 hour ago, zandru said:

My guess is, there's a difference between looking at something and stalking through the woods in search of dangerous prey that can kill you.

Yes. It's basically a problem of physical abilities; Bran would be too slow, on foot or on horseback, and would be quickly exhausted…

I agree with others here that Bran learning a lesson is different than the physicality required to go on a hunt.

That, and the author needed to set up a perfect situation to have Jaime and Cersei banging in the tower so that we get the Bran climbing scene before the golden man pushes Bran in to his death to rebirth eye opening situation that is required for the books to proceed.

6 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Someone at reddit said that is strange that Ned thought that Bran is old enough to watch execution, yet he didn't consider him old enough for hunt.

Someone on reddit said that is strange that Ned thought that Bran is old enough to watch execution, yet he didn't consider him old enough for hunt.

Okay someone on Reddit says what you say they said. Do you agree with what that someone on Reddit said or no? Why or why not?

For a serious answer. Lord Eddard took his male children out to show them what the Warden of the North does. Read into that what you wish.

A hunt requires horses. Big strong animals that have to be managed. A seven year old boy riding a pony is not going to bring home the meat. Let's not forget the Stark children were rather posh.

As others have already said, it's a very different thing. While gruesome, it is pretty easy Bran to watch an execution so Ned could explain the importance of carrying out your own sentences. In comparison, a hunt is very physically grueling and probably not easy for a little boy who, at this point, is only seven-years-old.

3 hours ago, zandru said:

My guess is, there's a difference between looking at something and stalking through the woods in search of dangerous prey that can kill you. On horseback or not. Remember, Robert was big on boars, and a boar is one of the most lethal killing machines in the forest. Why would anyone want to subject a 6 year old to that kind of danger?

Well, Little Walder went in hunt with his father. However, maybe this depend on father.

Well good golly ms molly

The starting point is

8 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Someone at reddit said that is strange that Ned thought that Bran is old enough to watch execution, yet he didn't consider him old enough for hunt.

and the ending point is

1 hour ago, Kandrax said:

Well, Little Walder went in hunt with his father. However, maybe this depend on father.

:dunno:

Her father had hunted boar in the wolfswood with Robb and Jon. Once he even took Bran, but never Arya, even though she was older. Septa Mordane said boar hunting was not for ladies, and Mother only promised that when she was older she might have her own hawk.

Arya ACoK

Maybe it was just this hunt, because with so many Lannisters and king around Ned didn't feel like taking care of a child. 

37 minutes ago, Someone8102 said:

Her father had hunted boar in the wolfswood with Robb and Jon. Once he even took Bran, but never Arya, even though she was older. Septa Mordane said boar hunting was not for ladies, and Mother only promised that when she was older she might have her own hawk.

Arya ACoK

Maybe it was just this hunt, because with so many Lannisters and king around Ned didn't feel like taking care of a child. 

Oh, forget reddit now the discussion is about Eddard taking Robb & Jon hunting. Eddard took Bran hunting once but never Arya.  :rofl:

Edit: Kick me to the curb --- I envision Russian hackers bored outa der minds ---- let me go watch the Frankenstein Chronicles starring Sean Bean.

2 hours ago, Kandrax said:

"Little Walder" was the big one. And it depended on what they were hunting. Squirrels and rabbits? Deer? Elk and moose? Boars or bears? It probably doesn't bear mentioning that at this point there are so many "Walders" and "Waldas" running around the twin towers that any one of them can be considered expendable.

9 hours ago, zandru said:

I mean unless you're drunk off your mind and charging like so (ex.Robert) at one, the whole experience should be perfectly safe-I mean it's just boar after all, they've dozens men that would be in between Bran and the hairy pig.

6 hours ago, Someone8102 said:

Arya ACoK

This is possible answer. Now, i remembered that Tommen also didn't go to hunt, so maybe Ned didn't bring Bran in order to not offend royal family.

One activity involves some element of risk to Bran while the other is safe.  That, and this wasn't just any hunt.  Ned was hosting the King of the Seven Realms and his greatest and lifelong friend.  There would be drinking, and cigar smoking and talking trash about the women.  Maybe not for Ned but definitely for Robert and most of the rest of the entourage.  It's an old boys club and Bran is just a little boy.

8 hours ago, White Ravens said:

There would be drinking, and cigar smoking and talking trash about the women

Good catch! It looks as if the hunt was reserved "for grown men" (or close enough) only. Bran, Rickon, and Tommen are definitely still (small) children.

Archived