Robert Baratheon’s View on the War of the Five Kings

Jaehaerys Tyrell

If an afterlife exists in Planetos and Robert Baratheon can view the events that have occurred, what do you think his opinions would be? Would he support Stannis or Renly, or would he continue to believe Cersei’s children were his own? What would he think of Robb Stark declaring Northern independence, of Daenerys’s rise to power and Aegon’s survival and invasion? 

4 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Robert Baratheon was so done with caring that he’d just look away and ignore the atrocities, just like he did in life.

This. He never seemed to care much, and if he did, it wasn't for long. The sole exception seems to be his loss of Lyanna to Rhaegar.

Incredibly fun topic @Jaehaerys Tyrell!

5 hours ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

I think he'd be watching it unfold with a drinking horn in one hand, and a warhammer in the other - with a tear in his bloodshot eye and a smile on his lips, and he would be thinking "If me and Ned were there, we'd kick all their arses"

This is probably the correct answer.  Robert would have admired Stannis' persistence and been irritates with Renly taking his sweet time marching to meet the Lannisters, but also quite amused by how Renly crowning himself was a major pain Stannis' ass.  He would have hooted and hollered at Robb defeating Jaime Lannister, and been distraught over Theon's treachery and Stannis' loss at the blackwater.  I ultimately imagine he would have supported Stannis' claim and spent the whole time agonizingly frustrated that he could have won the war easily if only he was in Stannis' place.

7 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

If an afterlife exists in Planetos and Robert Baratheon can view the events that have occurred, what do you think his opinions would be? Would he support Stannis or Renly, or would he continue to believe Cersei’s children were his own? What would he think of Robb Stark declaring Northern independence, of Daenerys’s rise to power and Aegon’s survival and invasion? 

He's dead. He didn't care about any of the shit happening in his realm when he was alive why would he care now? 

He'd be too busy trying to woo the lady of the seven, getting drunk and picking fights with the warrior with the new hammer the smith made for him. Or if he's in hell(possible), not really caring because, he's in hell. 

Or there is no afterlife and Robert's consciousness merely stopped when he died. Likely in my opinion given Thoros never recounts having seen anything when dead.

2 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Incredibly fun topic @Jaehaerys Tyrell!

This is probably the correct answer.  Robert would have admired Stannis' persistence and been irritates with Renly taking his sweet time marching to meet the Lannisters, but also quite amused by how Renly crowning himself was a major pain Stannis' ass.  He would have hooted and hollered at Robb defeating Jaime Lannister, and been distraught over Theon's treachery and Stannis' loss at the blackwater.  I ultimately imagine he would have supported Stannis' claim and spent the whole time agonizingly frustrated that he could have won the war easily if only he was in Stannis' place.

And if he cared he would look at what Dany's doing and probably  would probably nudge Ned saying"I told you so, I told you so!" And probably feel slightly awkward having nearly gotten Ned kid killed by spouting of his "kids who are kids don't have a point in living" in front of a psychopath who thinks Robert is his father. Though I think his heart would break at seeing his brothers fight and much less try to kill each other and be steamed at Stannis for never telling him of Stannis's suspicions as well  horrified for when Stannis burns Shireen and tried burn Robert's favorite bastard.

Robert was jovial and indulgent, but he wasn't incapable or unreasonable, he just simply didn't have the heart to actually rule, meaning manage the realm on a daily basis, i.e. the hard work and drudgery. If you could have your five minutes expounding the case about Cersei's incest and the kids not being Robert's, without being smashed with the hammer, and if you could defeat his stubborn denial, then he would sooner have willed the crown to Ned with no hereditary right than passed it on to the Lannincester kids, even though IIRC the Lannisters were next in line after Robert (but that meant legit Lannisters). That said, he would probably not have wanted to displace his own brothers, in birth order. He didn't do anything about Joff, so he wouldn't have done anything about Stannis.

Alternatively, I could see Robert summoning a Great Council and ordering the realm to swear fealty to whomever get's chosen (perhaps with the exception of Aerys II's descendants).

This is all subject to overcoming Rob's denial.

23 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

He would be whoring and drinking in the afterlife with his best friend Ned so he wouldn't give AF 

Archived