What will happen to Gilly Craster and Aemon Rayder-Steelsong

Barbrey Dustin

What will happen to Gilly and Aemon Rayder-Steelsong? 

1. Oldtown.  The crew takes her off the ship and Sam finds her lodgings in the city.  This option will require coin.  Lots of coin to support a woman with a child.
  2. Hornhill.  Sam sends her to Hornhill.  The Tarlys find a place for her in the house hold.
  3. Slaver's Bay.  Gilly forgets to disembark and travels to the bay with Marwyn.  She spends time with the Mage during the voyage and in time becomes educated. 

Where do you want them to end up?

2 hours ago, Barbrey Dustin said:

Oldtown. 

Maester Aemon had said earlier that a job could be found for Gilly at the Citadel. I'm guessing lodging might be included. This would place her close to Sam, which would help keep him grounded and happier and relieve his worries about her, as well as giving her a close friend, some security, and useful work to do. Note the difference between Gilly and Tyrion's Shae, where Tyrion thought he had done all he needed to do by walling her off from society and leaving her idle.

What will happen to Gilly and Mance's son?

One thing is that Gilly won't be sitting up in the Citadel helping Sam with his reading. Nor is Sam going to cut greyscale off Jorah.

Last I heard Sam left her and the babe on the Cinnamon Wind with Aemon's pickled body.

It seems to me that Marwyn is going to face off with the captain of the Cinnamon Wind. Ship won't move until merchandise is offloaded. Ship won't move until tide is right.

If the price is right and the tide is right does the captain of the Cinnamon kick Gilly & babe to the curb while Sam is chilling inside the walls of the Citadel? OR is Gilly & Mance's babe & Aemon's pickled body going on a cruise?

Your guess is as good as mine. Interesting topic though. I guess Marwyn will end up in the same place as Vic's 30+ ships. My question is what can Marwyn offer the the mia de na na when she returns from her hiatus?

On 3/4/2018 at 7:08 AM, Barbrey Dustin said:

1. Oldtown.  The crew takes her off the ship and Sam finds her lodgings in the city.  This option will require coin.  Lots of coin to support a woman with a child.
  2. Hornhill.  Sam sends her to Hornhill.  The Tarlys find a place for her in the house hold.
  3. Slaver's Bay.  Gilly forgets to disembark and travels to the bay with Marwyn.  She spends time with the Mage during the voyage and in time becomes educated. 

I think Sam finds her a position with the Citadel and she gets a place in Oldtown.  Given that Oldtown will probably come under attack from Euron & Co, this would likely put her in danger.  I suppose she could wind up at Horn Hill, but I think GRRM will keep them in close proximity.

On 3/4/2018 at 3:48 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

What will happen to Gilly and Mance's son?

One thing is that Gilly won't be sitting up in the Citadel helping Sam with his reading. Nor is Sam going to cut greyscale off Jorah.

Last I heard Sam left her and the babe on the Cinnamon Wind with Aemon's pickled body.

It seems to me that Marwyn is going to face off with the captain of the Cinnamon Wind. Ship won't move until merchandise is offloaded. Ship won't move until tide is right.

If the price is right and the tide is right does the captain of the Cinnamon kick Gilly & babe to the curb while Sam is chilling inside the walls of the Citadel? OR is Gilly & Mance's babe & Aemon's pickled body going on a cruise?

Your guess is as good as mine. Interesting topic though. I guess Marwyn will end up in the same place as Vic's 30+ ships. My question is what can Marwyn offer the the mia de na na when she returns from her hiatus?

I would guess that the cinnamon Wind isn't going anywhere until all passengers and cargo is unloaded.  That includes Gilly and Aemon's body.  I don't really see any point in her going to Slaver's Bay.  Neither she nor Marwyn is POV so it wouldn't add anything.

On 3/5/2018 at 6:14 PM, Nevets said:

Neither she nor Marwyn is POV so it wouldn't add anything.

This is not a me & Nevets interaction ---- chime in people --- what is Marwyn, a teacher of Mirri Maz Duur going to do for Daenery’s?

For conversational purposes I don’t see Gilly playing much of a part in Martin’s story. Who knows? My opinion is that Gilly is instrumental in popping Sams’ cherry.

I often wonder if Mance’s child will have a part to play in Martin’s story. If Mance’s child has a part to play then wet nurse Gilly will be around for a while. BUT she will not be helping Sam read books at the Citadel.

Marwyn on the other hand has a slightly mysterious back story.

Samwell’s last chapter in FfC was filled with ambiguity. Since FfC & DwD are supposedly running in tandem Marwyn’s last known whereabouts are at the Citadel and Marwyn surmises that the swan ship that brought Sam to Old Town will suffice to meet his needs:

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V     "Get myself to Slaver's Bay, in Aemon's place. The swan ship that delivered Slayer should serve my needs well enough. The grey sheep will send their man on a galley, I don't doubt. With fair winds I should reach her first." Marwyn glanced at Sam again, and frowned. "You . . . you should stay and forge your chain. If I were you, I would do it quickly. A time will come when you'll be needed on the Wall.”/

It is also said that Marwyn the mage sent people to intercept Samwell upon Sam’s arrival at Old Town.

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V       "Where has he gone?" asked Sam, bewildered.   "To the docks. The Mage is not a man who believes in wasting time." Alleras smiled. "I have a confession. Ours was no chance encounter, Sam. The Mage sent me to snatch you up before you spoke to Theobald. He knew that you were coming."/

Add into the above that the glass candles are now burning again. Lot of room for speculation.

Randyll and Dickon Tarly will be killed at Storm's End early in Dance. Jon Connington will take Heartsbane for Aegon. Although Samwell has taken the black there might be an opportunity for him to have Mance's son, held out as his own, legitimized and made lord of Horn Hill with the return of Heartsbane in exchange for House Tarly's support of Aegon. 

The crew will unload Aemon's body and Gilly before they sail off to Meereen.  I don't know what she could do to survive in Oldtown though.  Maybe she can wait on tables and collect enough tips if she's polite.  Not. :laugh:

On 3/4/2018 at 9:08 AM, Barbrey Dustin said:

Meereen will be the more interesting destination.  Marwyn knows a lot.  I read a post on another forum long ago that said he is Martin within the story.  The man who knows it all and he's not burdened by dogma.  He will be the maester to continue Daenerys' education.  Gilly will be the person to tell Dany about the Free Folk.  Marwyn and Gilly will be useful to Dany and that is what matter most.  Little Mance is too young to offer anything except magic blood. 

You know what could be awesome?  If Dany performs another miracle and brings Aemon back from the dead. 

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

This is not a me & Nevets interaction ---- chime in people --- what is Marwyn, a teacher of Mirri Maz Duur going to do for Daenery’s?

Hey now.  You know a topic won't get much attention unless it's about Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. 

George Martin wrote himself in the story and he is Marwyn.  He will be Dany's tutor on all things Westeros and Asshai.

What will happen?

2 - They end up with the Tarlys. 

Where do you want them to go?

Slaver's Bay

On 3/4/2018 at 5:48 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

Yes

On 3/5/2018 at 6:14 PM, Nevets said:

I think Sam finds her a position with the Citadel and she gets a place in Oldtown.  Given that Oldtown will probably come under attack from Euron & Co, this would likely put her in danger.  I suppose she could wind up at Horn Hill, but I think GRRM will keep them in close proximity.

I would guess that the cinnamon Wind isn't going anywhere until all passengers and cargo is unloaded.  That includes Gilly and Aemon's body.  I don't really see any point in her going to Slaver's Bay.  Neither she nor Marwyn is POV so it wouldn't add anything.

Marwyn wants to be Dany's advisor.  This is not a bad idea for Dany to accept him in her service.  After all, she already has Qaithe, Jorah, Barristan, Missandei, Skahaz, Greyworm, and Daario.  She won't be dependent on Marwyn for all of her information and that gives her an advantage over the average lord of Westeros who depend on his maester for everything. 

Gilly can be the ambassador from the Free Folk of northern Westeros.  Which, let's face it, the way things are going between Roose and Stannis, may be the only people left in the north.

It all depends if Gilly Flower will have an interesting adventure of her own.  I like the potential of this story line to blossom into something interesting for a wilding girl.  Imagine Gilly meeting Drogon for the first time.   

On 3/4/2018 at 7:08 AM, Barbrey Dustin said:

I think Gilly ending up with Dany is an awesome option. Gilly is exactly the type of people Dany seems to like to save and protect. Aemon would become Dany's ward.  Aemon is trained to Knighthood and is eventually adopted by Dany and named her heir is like best case scenario for me. 

7 hours ago, House Beaudreau said:

Aemon Steelsong becomes Dany's heir.  I think its kind of poetic...

I'm sorry House but that would make me sad.  My wish is for the rise of a new Valyrian Empire with a Targaryen ruler. 

On 3/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, zandru said:

Maester Aemon had said earlier that a job could be found for Gilly at the Citadel. I'm guessing lodging might be included. This would place her close to Sam, which would help keep him grounded and happier and relieve his worries about her, as well as giving her a close friend, some security, and useful work to do. Note the difference between Gilly and Tyrion's Shae, where Tyrion thought he had done all he needed to do by walling her off from society and leaving her idle.

How easy or hard will it be to find a job for a girl with a baby?  I mean a respectable job outside the citadel.  Some maesters take their liberties with the working women.  Whose to say they don't do the same with the serving women at the citadel. 

On 3/6/2018 at 8:35 PM, Helena Kyle said:

George Martin wrote himself in the story and he is Marwyn.  He will be Dany's tutor on all things Westeros and Asshai.

Marwyn - stout, strongly built, large hands, book smart but also well traveled and practical.  He shares our author's opinion of prophecies.

Martin - stout, strongly built, average hands, book smart but also well traveled.  Cynical.  Same opinion on the treacherous nature of prophecies.

Yeah maybe they are the same.  Preston Jacobs thinks Quentyn Martell is the one who looks like a young George.  I have read others who think George modeled Samwell's appearance after his own.  Interesting parallels.

22 hours ago, Tour De Force said:

Marwyn wants to be Dany's advisor.  This is not a bad idea for Dany to accept him in her service.  After all, she already has Qaithe, Jorah, Barristan, Missandei, Skahaz, Greyworm, and Daario.  She won't be dependent on Marwyn for all of her information and that gives her an advantage over the average lord of Westeros who depend on his maester for everything. 

Gilly can be the ambassador from the Free Folk of northern Westeros.  Which, let's face it, the way things are going between Roose and Stannis, may be the only people left in the north.

Gilly spent her life at Craster's Keep.  She is not Free Folk and knows nothing about their lives.  Her going to Dany adds nothing to the story.  Given how much Sam cares for her, I think Martin will keep her close to Oldtown so she can have an effect on Sam's story.

Marwyn advising Dany is an excellent idea, and will likely happen.  He can give her current information on events in Westeros, as well as on more magical subjects.   By the way, Dany has heard Marwyn's name before.  Mirri Maz Duur mentioned that she was trained by him.

12 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Yeah maybe they are the same.  Preston Jacobs thinks Quentyn Martell is the one who looks like a young George.  I have read others who think George modeled Samwell's appearance after his own.  Interesting parallels.

GRRM has Also said that Bran and Robin Arryn are closely related to him as a person. 

2 hours ago, Nevets said:

Gilly spent her life at Craster's Keep.  She is not Free Folk and knows nothing about their lives.  Her going to Dany adds nothing to the story.  Given how much Sam cares for her, I think Martin will keep her close to Oldtown so she can have an effect on Sam's story.

Your right on the mark here but I do think bring Aemon Steelsong to Dany could add something to the overall finish. 

12 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

I'm sorry House but that would make me sad.  My wish is for the rise of a new Valyrian Empire with a Targaryen ruler.

You might get your wish if Mance Ryder is really Rhaegar in hiding, Aemon Steelsong would be the legit blood royal of Westeros, the Wildlings, Andels, Rhoynar, Valyarian, First Men, Dothraki by association with Dany, Ghiscari by the same, so basically the whole frickin world would back him..... ( I am in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM A BELIEVER IN THIS THEORY) 

On 3/8/2018 at 0:51 AM, House Beaudreau said:

I think Gilly ending up with Dany is an awesome option. Gilly is exactly the type of people Dany seems to like to save and protect. Aemon would become Dany's ward.  Aemon is trained to Knighthood and is eventually adopted by Dany and named her heir is like best case scenario for me. 

Hereditary rulership is likely to end.  Daenerys is a very young lady and succession is seldom foremost in the minds of the young.  She is also Azor Ahai and thus likely to live through the long night and into spring.  Little Aemon may not live that long.  And the dragons may not bond with someone who doesn't have Targaryen genes.  But whatever, I don't want to see Dany's empire go to the son of a wildling. 

On 3/7/2018 at 7:40 PM, Agent Orange said:

It all depends if Gilly Flower will have an interesting adventure of her own.  I like the potential of this story line to blossom into something interesting for a wilding girl.  Imagine Gilly meeting Drogon for the first time.   

Her jaws will hit the floor.  Drogon is magnificent and the wildling girl will be overcome with awe.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:35 PM, Helena Kyle said:

The crew will unload Aemon's body and Gilly before they sail off to Meereen.  I don't know what she could do to survive in Oldtown though.  Maybe she can wait on tables and collect enough tips if she's polite.  Not. :laugh:

Meereen will be the more interesting destination.  Marwyn knows a lot.  I read a post on another forum long ago that said he is Martin within the story.  The man who knows it all and he's not burdened by dogma.  He will be the maester to continue Daenerys' education.  Gilly will be the person to tell Dany about the Free Folk.  Marwyn and Gilly will be useful to Dany and that is what matter most.  Little Mance is too young to offer anything except magic blood. 

You know what could be awesome?  If Dany performs another miracle and brings Aemon back from the dead. 

Hey now.  You know a topic won't get much attention unless it's about Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. 

George was asked in an interview, "who would you have dinner with, if you could pick from any character?"  George answered,

"Dany, because she's so hot" and "Maybe Maester Aemon because he knows so much."

George intended for Aemon to be a repository of knowledge.  I would love a team with Maester Aemon, Archmaester Marwyn, Barristan, Jorah, Greyworm, Skahaz, Daario, Moqorro, and Qaithe all helping Dany to reach her goals.

Archived