Why Does the Political Right And Left Feel the Need to Demonize Each Other ?

GAROVORKIN

4 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Roy Moore is the result, not the cause. Ditto the rest of #TheDeplorables. Trump may have cracked this country open, but he didn't create what oozed out.

EDIT: I haven't read this thread yet btw. Is it worth peaking under the rock?

Why don't you read it and find out. :)

46 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I know emoticons are the same for everyone, but somehow these are coming off like what Patrick Bateman would give if he were an Uber driver asking someone to clarify their address.

Why don't you read it and find out ?  Does that clarify things ? :)

20 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Other then animosity ,willful deafness to each other's  points of view  and hardened polarization ,  what does does it contribute to political discussion and dialogue? What if anything does it create other then problems for everybody ?  And why do you suppose so many on the right and left are so unwilling to engage in any kind of meaningful  self criticism of themselves ?  What do you think, has brought us to this current state of affairs? 

I normally don't have answers to these kind of questions, but just this weekend I started a re-watch of one of my favorite shows in recent years, Black Sails. In ep. 3, Flint explains that it's not enough for the king to brand the pirates as criminals or enemies of the state, he needs to brand them as monsters, because that is the only way he can get the full support of his taxpayers. I think this line reflects well why our leadership does this. If you can make your partially or totally ignorant constituency forget that people with different ideologies are still people, not devil worshipers, you can get their full support. As to why they feel the need earn the people's support in this manner, maybe we need to look at what kind of people they themselves are.

This being said, I am of the opinion that the right is far worse at this than the left.

The thrust of this thread is correct. We shouldn't demonize the opposition. We should just look at what they do and judge them based on that.

So the Right supports child-rapists and Nazis. That's why the Left doesn't like them.

And the Right doesn't like the Left because they elected a black man and represents non-whites.

Easy-peasy.

7 minutes ago, Shryke said:

The thrust of this thread is correct. We shouldn't demonize the opposition. We should just look at what they do and judge them based on that.

So the Right supports child-rapists and Nazis. That's why the Left doesn't like them.

And the Right doesn't like the Left because they elected a black man and represents non-whites.

Easy-peasy.

See.  They are both basically the same.

A Song of Ice and Fire rose to popularity and fame in good part due to George R.R. Martin's disregard for the traditional good-and-evil and black-and-white dichotomy found throughout the fantasy genre. Instead he focuses on shades of grey and moral ambiguity, showing that there is sympathy and kindness as well as cruelty and hate on both sides of any given  conflict.

In the largest internet forum dedicated to his works, however, you will find most of the fanbase seems not to have noticed. Instead they are far more interested in orcs and elves. They are heroes all in gold and white fighting monstrous goblins who care for naught but destruction and suffering. Perhaps this shouldn't be an ASOIAF forum at all? Perhaps a Chronicles of Narnia theme, or any other such children's story, would better reflect the attitudes and sensibilities of the users here?

3 minutes ago, Sun Worshipper said:

A Song of Ice and Fire rose to popularity and fame in good part due to George R.R. Martin's disregard for the traditional good-and-evil and black-and-white dichotomy found throughout the fantasy genre. Instead he focuses on shades of grey and moral ambiguity, showing that there is sympathy and kindness as well as cruelty and hate on both sides of any given  conflict.

In the largest internet forum dedicated to his works, however, you will find most of the fanbase seems not to have noticed. Instead they are far more interested in orcs and elves. They are heroes all in gold and white fighting monstrous goblins who care for naught but destruction and suffering. Perhaps this shouldn't be an ASOIAF forum at all? Perhaps a Chronicles of Narnia theme, or any other such children's story, would better reflect the attitudes and sensibilities of the users here?

Both sides have fine people, amirite?

The Republican party backed Roy Moore.

There is nothing more that needs to be said as an example really. Everything else is right-wingers desperately flailing about trying to find some reason why their actions, like their support for a child molester, doesn't make them the baddies.

This thread, if honest, would be titled "Why are left-wingers so mean to us? Doesn't that make them the bad guys too even though we were the ones that backed racists, nazis and pedophiles?"

33 minutes ago, Sun Worshipper said:

Oh so because I read a book I'm supposed to then twist its concept (according to one interpretation) of human morality to fit any situation in the world, and if I'm unable to do so, join a different internet forum? 

That's such a brilliant observation load of top-shelf horse shit. 

58 minutes ago, Sun Worshipper said:

I mean sure, in so far as he gave the bad guys the occasional moment of acting like a human being. But to put it bluntly Hitler is not a good guy just because he liked animals. As Stannis pointed out, and I imagine is going to bite him in the ass, one good deed does not wash away the bad. So yeah, the worlds not black and white and most people are shades of grey, but some people are a pretty fucking dark grey and they seem to congregate on the Republican side of things.

Your interpretation of grey and grey morality seems to be "therefore everyone's the same" mines decidedly not.

Also, note that in ASOIAF while political conflict can have multiple, nuanced sides not a single fucking person is trying to bargain with the Others

There are times when both sides have a point. The Tywin Lannister line 'why is it better to have a battle that kills 20,000 than murder 200 at dinner?' rings true here. We aren't at that point any more. We're at the 'we pretty much 100% oppose people who want to kill us and turn us into blue-eyed zombies'. 

17 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Tbf, most of the GOP leadership called for Moore to step down after the accusations started to surface. Republican voters backed Moore, as did Trump when it came down to a child molester vs a Democrat. Moore was (almost) a failure of the American voters, not the system.

Nope. This is not true. They backed down, then they saw they might lose the seat, then they went all in on backing Moore again.

Quick google example:

On Monday, President Trump made explicit what he had long made clear in practice: He wholeheartedly endorses Moore for Senate, despite multiple allegations of sexual misconduct involving teenage girls. Later in the evening, the Republican National Committee announced it would reopen the money pipeline to Alabama it had shut off when the party at large cut Moore loose—or so it seemed—in November.

Even Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who had been one of the earliest and most stalwart Moore denouncers, seems to have backed off his most fiery statements. On November 13, McConnell said, “I think he should step aside.” On Sunday, on ABC’s This Week, he hedged: “I’m going to let the people of Alabama make the call,” adding that “the Ethics Committee will have to consider the matters that have been litigated in the campaign should that particular candidate win.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/12/roy-moore-re-endorsements/547529/

The GOP officially backed Roy Moore right till the end, with only a brief blip in the middle where they thought they had to be seen not doing so for the media before they realised their base didn't care and they didn't want to lose the seat.

Basically the same shit that went down with the Pussy Grab tape and Trump.

Why must the Left criticize the party of Lessers you say?

Because standing against evil has no rest, blocking those that would prey on the vulnerable is a dutybound calling for all conscientious opposers of the exploitive, evil, motives of that depraved animal known as the deceptive conservative. whose ulterior motives must be exposed at every turn for the safety of the republic.

In short, its your duty to oppose these bastards.

17 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Anyone big besides McConnell flip back after mid-November? IIRC Ryan, Romney, Kasich, McCain etc. kept the line into December that he should step down. I don't follow conservative media as much though, and nothing the GOP does surprises me at this point.

The quote shows the Republican National Committee started backing him again. They are literally the only ones that really matter here and are reflective of party leadership's views on who they should back. He was backed by the people who's actually job it is to back candidates for the Republican party. There's no ambiguity or wiggle room here.

Archived